The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asif007
be prepared to lose a lot of friends when they all say you're boring because you don't drink.

"friends"
Original post by Princepieman
Being support isn't going to stop me voicing an opinion on something I find ridiculous. Especially if that something is music, a pretty massive aspect of my life.

I'm getting worked up because you don't seem to find an issue in pointing out something as comforting, empowering and uplifting as music to be 'forbidden'. We're in 2016 for goodness sake.

No offence but why are you getting worked up since it doesn't affect you in any shape or form?
Original post by The.Joker
No offence but why are you getting worked up since it doesn't affect you in any shape or form?

Other people read this site. Not just me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by Leukocyte
I ain't a hypocrite and neither did I say I am some perfect Muslim to practise everything. It was hard to stop music a few months ago but I let it go finally, alhamdulillah.

You're the stupid one here bc I haven't preached to anyone about music. Let's stick to English bc we shouldn't be talking in Arabic either, right?

Same
I have 0 interest in it now and I'm so much happier without it :smile:
Original post by HAnwar
Same
I have 0 interest in it now and I'm so much happier without it :smile:

:yy: Agreed.
No people don't need alcohol to cement a friendship. Believe it or not but you can make life long friends without drinking, alcohol is haram and I don't want to be anywhere near it. Also, I don't care how other people perceive me, I'm not interested in having friends who are shallow enough to ignore me because I don't drink alcohol. If someone doesn't want to be my friend due to me not drinking then that's fine. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who lives to get hammered either.

Maybe I just made friends with the wrong people then. But I'm really not in a position to control who I meet and who I don't. People who don't drink just don't exist here.

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
"friends"

That's exactly why I said friendships can be very one-sided when you don't drink. Other people only consider me a "friend" because I don't drink, maybe I should do the same to them.
Original post by asif007
Depending on where you go to uni, it's very difficult to find other people who don't drink, unless they're also Muslim. There are very very few societies nowadays which run non-alcohol socials, and even the ones that do are just full of people sneaking in alcohol anyway. No one cares about catering to people who don't drink, cos everyone else judges us for being boring and hence no one makes an effort to run non-alcohol events because they won't be "popular" enough.

I get you but it doesn't mean she/he wont enjoy themselves at Uni. Most people won't judge you for not drinking unless they're really immature plus there are loads of introverts who hate partying and alcohol It's not the be-all and end-all.
If you go to a crap uni in a rubbish area then you might struggle but. meh
Original post by asif007
Maybe I just made friends with the wrong people then. But I'm really not in a position to control who I meet and who I don't. People who don't drink just don't exist here.

Just a suggestion but surely your SU does some non-alcohol events? It might be worthwhile looking into that if you wanted to make friends with people who don't drink. You could join the ISOC at uni too if you want to make more muslim friends. Those who don't drink are definitely a minority at uni but they do exist! :tongue:
Original post by High Stakes
That guy is an example of a fundamentalist. In fact, by his logic he shouldn't even be on the internet as it exposes him to many other "haram" things on top of music. Of course he'll simply justify it with a deluded and misconstrued reason that he thinks is logical. That said of course, they're still a Muslim - there's no set criteria that you need to meet in order to be considered a Muslim, but think about it this way, Islam and the other religions (particularly the Abrahamic ones, Christianity, Judaism) all provide a way of life, a way of living as a "good" human being. How does not listening to music make you a better human being? What kind of religion would reward someone who just starves themselves from any form of stimulus, more than someone who has helped other people and done plenty of what can be considered good deeds but also happens to listen to music and talk to the opposite gender.

Also don't waste your time on this guy ^. I'm Muslim myself and if he walked over to me and started telling me to stop listening to my music on my phone, I would tell them to piss off. Of course they wouldn't do that, they're only brave enough to preach on the internet. :rolleyes:

prsom!!
Original post by HAnwar
Islam forbids a lot of things. We have to make sacrifices in this world for the next.

And I'll happily live my life as normal, thankful in the knowledge that Jesus Christ has already died on the Cross for my sins. None of your sacrifices matter because, without faith in Jesus Christ, you cannot be saved.
Original post by HAnwar
I'm very happy with my life atm thank you.

What's your problem getting so worked up about how I choose to live my life?

Yes I have a responsibility to tell others if something is haram, whether they listen or not is their choice.

This is great coming from a member of the support team. Great job TSR :yy:

What is haram about music? I'm not Muslim, just curious about your beliefs.
Original post by NutellaLuv
I get you but it doesn't mean she/he wont enjoy themselves at Uni. Most people won't judge you for not drinking unless they're really immature plus there are loads of introverts who hate partying and alcohol It's not the be-all and end-all.
If you go to a crap uni in a rubbish area then you might struggle but. meh

I did go to a **** uni in a **** area - can't help that. Have wasted my life making an effort with people at uni when all my closest and most supportive friends are in my home city. I would have had a much better uni experience with non-judgmental friends had I been in any other city except this one.

Just a suggestion but surely your SU does some non-alcohol events? It might be worthwhile looking into that if you wanted to make friends with people who don't drink. You could join the ISOC at uni too if you want to make more muslim friends. Those who don't drink are definitely a minority at uni but they do exist! :tongue:

I checked already. They don't.

ISOC here only run lectures - no socials or opportunities to get to know other Muslims better.
Original post by Trapz99
What is haram about music? I'm not Muslim, just curious about your beliefs.

https://islamqa.info/en/5000
Original post by asif007
I did go to a **** uni in a **** area - can't help that. Have wasted my life making an effort with people at uni when all my closest and most supportive friends are in my home city. I would have had a much better uni experience with non-judgmental friends had I been in any other city except this one.

I checked already. They don't.

ISOC here only run lectures - no socials or opportunities to get to know other Muslims better.

Wow that sucks. :frown:
What about joining a sports club or some societies?
Reply 94
Original post by Trapz99
And I'll happily live my life as normal, thankful in the knowledge that Jesus Christ has already died on the Cross for my sins. None of your sacrifices matter because, without faith in Jesus Christ, you cannot be saved.

'For you is your religion, and for me is my religion.'
[Quran 109:6]

:smile:

I think your other question has already been answered.
Wow that sucks. :frown:
What about joining a sports club or some societies?

I perform on stage so I was part of a few dance societies. It was nice to meet people and get to know them, but always a struggle getting people to keep me in their social circles because I didn't go to their drinking events. I'm not at this uni any more and will be moving abroad later this year to finish my course, so it doesn't matter any more. But it's very upsetting to know that I wasted so much of my time and effort making friends with people and being sociable when they all pretend that I don't exist now.
Original post by asif007
I perform on stage so I was part of a few dance societies. It was nice to meet people and get to know them, but always a struggle getting people to keep me in their social circles because I didn't go to their drinking events. I'm not at this uni any more and will be moving abroad later this year to finish my course, so it doesn't matter any more. But it's very upsetting to know that I wasted so much of my time and effort making friends with people and being sociable when they all pretend that I don't exist now.

Well in a way your better off since they weren't really your "friends" in the first place, you are really better off without such shallow people. Hopefully moving abroad you'll find like minded friends. Don't stop being sociable, people come in and out throughout your entire life. Friendships don't form over night either, takes a little while and some work to get to know people and become friends.
Well in a way your better off since they weren't really your "friends" in the first place, you are really better off without such shallow people. Hopefully moving abroad you'll find like minded friends. Don't stop being sociable, people come in and out throughout your entire life. Friendships don't form over night either, takes a little while and some work to get to know people and become friends.

I hope so. I'm probably not heading to a great country and it could be an even worse city than here, so I'm tempted to just withdraw until I can finish my course. My awful uni experience wasn't just because of friends, it's also because I spent so long studying and left with nothing. TBH IDGAF about meeting more people because they all treat me the same way. Just want to get a degree and live my life on my own so I can move back to my home city and see my real friends again.
Original post by HAnwar
'For you is your religion, and for me is my religion.'
[Quran 109:6]

:smile:

I think your other question has already been answered.

I'm just wondering- if you go to a supermarket and they have music playing in the background, is going there haram? Since all the major supermarkets (ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsbury, Tesco) have music or radio playing from the background. What about background music in TV shows?
Reply 99
Original post by Trapz99
I'm just wondering- if you go to a supermarket and they have music playing in the background, is going there haram? Since all the major supermarkets (ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsbury, Tesco) have music or radio playing from the background. What about background music in TV shows?

Nope. That's not in your control.
Well with TV shows you can easily flick the channel

This answers your question

https://islamqa.info/en/47996

Scroll down a bit

Latest

Trending

Trending