The Student Room Group

health anxiety - is it a thing and can i get help!?

iv recently been extremely anxious and paranoid about my health, mostly about cancer.
i get anxious to the point i cant eat because im so anxious and it gives me a horrible gut ache and effects my toilet habits (sorry!), i shake and my breathing goes funny
im constantly checking myself for lumps
every little pain, chest ache, anything! and i think its some sort of condition

i need to add im currently undergoing tests for a potential life threatening condition (cancer) as i was spotting after sex with mild discomfort during

the constant anxiety/worry is really having a bad effect on me, even as im writing this im getting increasingly anxious!
is there something i can do? a doctor maybe? if so what can they do/give me?
Reply 1
Original post by shawtyb
iv recently been extremely anxious and paranoid about my health, mostly about cancer.
i get anxious to the point i cant eat because im so anxious and it gives me a horrible gut ache and effects my toilet habits (sorry!), i shake and my breathing goes funny
im constantly checking myself for lumps
every little pain, chest ache, anything! and i think its some sort of condition

i need to add im currently undergoing tests for a potential life threatening condition (cancer) as i was spotting after sex with mild discomfort during

the constant anxiety/worry is really having a bad effect on me, even as im writing this im getting increasingly anxious!
is there something i can do? a doctor maybe? if so what can they do/give me?

Hi sounds to me like you are suffering from a disorder called hypochondria. Please see your GP for help/advice. Hope things get better for you.

Please have a look at this NHS link:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypochondria/pages/introduction.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi sounds like you are suffering from hypochondria to me. Please see your GP for help/advice. Hope things get better for you

what is it? :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi sounds to me like you are suffering from a disorder called hypochondria. Please see your GP for help/advice. Hope things get better for you.

Please have a look at this NHS link:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypochondria/pages/introduction.aspx

iv just seen your edit, thanks!
Health anxiety (hypochondria) is definitely a thing and no, it's not very pleasant so it's awful you are having to experience it. :hugs: (It's a misconception hypochondria is someone who exaggerates an illness - it's merely the term for health anxiety.)

I can't even imagine how anxious your situation must be making you and I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. :hugs: Do you think the two could be related? Were you this anxious about your health before having these tests done?

My number one rule for health anxiety is don't Google. I know how tempting it can be, but you will never leave a Google search in relation to your health thinking the best -- a lot of what you see on there will be, in my experience, worst case scenario and you'll end up getting very stressed over something that's very unlikely to be the case.

How long until you recieve your results? If health anxiety is affecting your life to this extent, it would be best to see your GP, yes -- they can advise on the next best step as to how to help you.

Take care and hoping for the best for you. :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
To start with GP and let them diagnise you.
Exercise, relaxation techniques , sleep and maybe a change in your diet will assist. they can either try some medication or you could get a counselor for some therapy, who cna teach you some techniquea.
Reply 6
Original post by shawtyb
iv just seen your edit, thanks!

No problem and please speak to someone about this (GP).
Reply 7
Original post by acupofgreentea
Health anxiety (hypochondria) is definitely a thing and no, it's not very pleasant so it's awful you are having to experience it. :hugs: (It's a misconception hypochondria is someone who exaggerates an illness - it's merely the term for health anxiety.)

I can't even imagine how anxious your situation must be making you and I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. :hugs: Do you think the two could be related? Were you this anxious about your health before having these tests done?

My number one rule for health anxiety is don't Google. I know how tempting it can be, but you will never leave a Google search in relation to your health thinking the best -- a lot of what you see on there will be, in my experience, worst case scenario and you'll end up getting very stressed over something that's very unlikely to be the case.

How long until you recieve your results? If health anxiety is affecting your life to this extent, it would be best to see your GP, yes -- they can advise on the next best step as to how to help you.

Take care and hoping for the best for you. :hugs:

hey, i dont think so as i started obsessing over the lumps and checking myself constantly before the who spotting sex thing but iv been to the dr 2/3 times previously because of worrying about breast cancer. i actually check every day multiple times!
iv been googling alot which hasnt helped!
they rung today, one was inconclusive so have to do another but for the other one it will be about a week :frown:
thankyou :smile:

Original post by 999tigger
To start with GP and let them diagnise you.
Exercise, relaxation techniques , sleep and maybe a change in your diet will assist. they can either try some medication or you could get a counselor for some therapy, who cna teach you some techniquea.

i dont exercise bar lots of walking (i did used to though), i cant relax, ever! and i barely sleep
anything that will help! i cried my eyes out the day i went to the doctorrs and was pleading with my boyfriend to look after my kids when i die
Original post by shawtyb

i dont exercise bar lots of walking (i did used to though), i cant relax, ever! and i barely sleep
anything that will help! i cried my eyes out the day i went to the doctorrs and was pleading with my boyfriend to look after my kids when i die

You need to go to the GP and tell.

Anxiety, panic atacks etc are common. You are just working yourself up at the moment. Exercise is good because it distracts, gets your circulation going , which can be stress reducing.
Reply 9
You need to go to the GP and tell.

Anxiety, panic atacks etc are common. You are just working yourself up at the moment. Exercise is good because it distracts, gets your circulation going , which can be stress reducing.

is it relevant then? im clueless :frown:
can anxiety come in differnet forms and severity?
i dont even know if i have anxiety.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Theres a lot of it about, especually at exam times. There ensough in that link to give you an idea. Its more when worries become too much for you to ccope woth and you get them out of proportion.

You go to the Dr so he can diagnose you properly. It's not much different than going shopping, just get it done. Try not to worry.
Visit the doctor and take some L-Theanine (an amino acid, found in Green Tea, helps the reduction of anxiety).
Reply 12
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Theres a lot of it about, especually at exam times. There ensough in that link to give you an idea. Its more when worries become too much for you to ccope woth and you get them out of proportion.

You go to the Dr so he can diagnose you properly. It's not much different than going shopping, just get it done. Try not to worry.

il ring them tomorrow, thankyou :smile:
Youll be fine. You just need to get the correct techniques to get it under control.
Reply 14
Original post by VeniViciVidi
Visit the doctor and take some L-Theanine (an amino acid, found in Green Tea, helps the reduction of anxiety).

oww i hate green tea :frown:

Youll be fine. You just need to get the correct techniques to get it under control.

hopefully sooner rather then later.
i start working tomorrow so i hope that takes my mind of it
Original post by shawtyb
hey, i dont think so as i started obsessing over the lumps and checking myself constantly before the who spotting sex thing but iv been to the dr 2/3 times previously

because of worrying about breast cancer. i actually check every day multiple times!

Is there anything that coincided with you starting to feel more anxious about your health? Or did it just start one day?

I think it's about working out whether you're going to the doctors and having more tests as a result of the health anxiety (which does happen a lot with this) or you're becoming more anxious as a result of the tests. If you started feeling like this before the tests, that would seem to rule out the latter.

iv been googling alot which hasnt helped!

As I said, it's not the best, no. :redface:

I've put a self-imposed ban on myself in regards to health-related Google searches and have -- for the most part -- stuck to it. It helps more than you'd think. :yep:

they rung today, one was inconclusive so have to do another but for the other one it will be about a week :frown:

Okay, while waiting for the next test result, I'd make an appointment with your GP about your health anxiety. It does seem to be really affecting you and no one should have to be feeling like this when there are ways to help. :hugs:
Original post by shawtyb
oww i hate green tea :frown:t

It is found in green tea. You buy it in supplements of 150mg.
Reply 17
Original post by acupofgreentea
Is there anything that coincided with you starting to feel more anxious about your health? Or did it just start one day?

I think it's about working out whether you're going to the doctors and having more tests as a result of the health anxiety (which does happen a lot with this) or you're becoming more anxious as a result of the tests. If you started feeling like this before the tests, that would seem to rule out the latter.

As I said, it's not the best, no. :redface:

I've put a self-imposed ban on myself in regards to health-related Google searches and have -- for the most part -- stuck to it. It helps more than you'd think. :yep:

Okay, while waiting for the next test result, I'd make an appointment with your GP about your health anxiety. It does seem to be really affecting you and no one should have to be feeling like this when there are ways to help. :hugs:

its been going on a few weeks now but i think it just started.
the tests were due to the spotting after sex but the extreme worrying was happening before that, this sex thing amped up the worrying though

yh im gonna ban myself too!

i need to go anyway to re-do the test and get anti biotics (abbcess) so il do it then :smile:
some nights i get about 3 hours sleep due to worrying and not switching off
Reply 18
Original post by VeniViciVidi
It is found in green tea. You buy it in supplements of 150mg.

ah thatl do :smile: does holland & barretts do them? i assume they would
Original post by shawtyb
ah thatl do :smile: does holland & barretts do them? i assume they would

Yep.

Quick Reply

Latest