The Student Room Group

What is the worst movie adaptation you've ever seen?

Title is pretty self explanatory. What is the worst movie adaptation you've seen?

For me it comes down to three movies.

3) Ender's Game: In third place not a particularly bad film but it made every single mistake I thought it would. Bonzo's death looks accidental, Ender loses a battle, it tones down the violence, doesn't explore how he's being manipulated and his thought process, and the space battles look too polished to make you think its a simulation.

2) Eragon: I hated this film, Ender's Game made understandable mistakes, the decision in this were completely baffling. None of the characters look how they're described, Saphira grows to full size in seconds, names herself and has bird wings, the minotaur-esque Urgals look human, the Dwarves aren't present at all, major characters are killed off even though they're key to later books, the cities are non-existent, Durza has a weird shadow dragon thing, just everything about this was wrong. The only reason it isn't tied for first is it was adapting something unremarkable.

1) The Last Airbender: Uugh a complete mess of a film, the racebending, changing the pronounciation of everything, butching the characters, nonsensical portrayals of characters, cultures and plots, completely nerfing the bending abilities. Everything about this was a grotesque butchery of arguably one of the greatest cartoons ever made. It's like if someone tried to copy the Mona Lisa and pissed a stick figure into the snow.

Thoughts? What terrible adaptations have you seen?

Scroll to see replies

You've mentioned my number 1 which was Eragon. Absolutely awful film.

Unlike you, I actually did enjoy The last Airbender :colondollar:. Thought it was mediocre.

2. The Golden Compass

It lacked the controversy of the source material and the resultant movie was some terrible boring thing which fell flat. I felt like the magic of the book was lost. Definitely worth skipping.

3. The giver
Fairly unfaithful to the book. Action added as well as a romance due to MC being aged up to 16 from 12.
(edited 7 years ago)
The Vampire's Assistant took my favourite series of books as a child and absolutely wrecked them. It was depressing to watch.
Tales from Earthsea. :yucky: I thought it was quite bad in its own right, before I read the Earthsea Quartet - after reading the books, it seemed thousands of times worse. Why blend the stories and characters together into a badly paced, incoherent mess when a straight adaptation of any of them would have made for fantastic viewing? :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You've mentioned my number 1 which was Eragon. Absolutely awful film.

2. The Golden Compass

It lacked the controversy of the source material and the resultant movie was some terrible boring thing which fell flat. I felt like the magic of the book was lost. Definitely worth skipping.

Completely agree on both
Reply 5
Eragon was god-awful and I couldn't stand it. Angels & Demons wasn't great either.

Most book adaptations are actually really good: LOTR, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Divergent, Hunger Games etc.
Reply 6
This was the first thought in my head :h:
Reply 7
A series of unfortunate events :colonhash:
Reply 8
Needful things from a Steven King novel
The Great Gatsby (2013? Version)
Eragon definitely. I loved the books as a kid but the film was ****
I haven't watched the Last Airbender movie but loved the show
Reply 11
"The Client"

It's a John Grisham crime fiction. Murdered for cinema.
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (not the BBC one).
Daredevil. That film triggers me.
Definitely agree with Last Airbender.

Dawn of Justice would be there, but I also absolutely love parts of that movie too so I can't.
Eragon was gonna be my pick.

Read the books originally. Loved that ****.

Watched the film. "Well that's a bit ****".

Reread books several times. Loved that **** (despite the now obvious bad points).

Watched the film. Cringed for several days. Reduced to tears.

Reread books to calm myself down.
Reply 15
Original post by Gwilym101
3) Ender's Game: In third place not a particularly bad film but it made every single mistake I thought it would. Bonzo's death looks accidental, Ender loses a battle, it tones down the violence, doesn't explore how he's being manipulated and his thought process, and the space battles look too polished to make you think its a simulation.

YES to Ender's Game. Was so disappointed as it's one of my favourite novels, although admittedly I think the story is rather difficult to adapt as most of it takes place within Ender's head.

I also found the sideline plot with Locke and Demosthenes really fun to read and that was left out as well.
Twilight
Was going to post this. Badly made movie which absolutely **** on all of its source material. Loved reading the Darran Shan books when I was in my early teens.
Jane Eyre (All of them :colonhash:)
The Hobbit trilogy. Particularly the final film. Making three films was just about milking as much money from the book as possible and Peter Jackson included some ludicrous things to fill the space .... see Legolas defying gravity and Billy Connolly on a giant pig.

Quick Reply

Latest