The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Is Uni of Southampton underrated?

Just a quick question really, as the title suggests would you say that Southampton uni is underrated?

I had an interview there yesterday and I have to say I loved it, it's got an amazing campus and Southampton as a city is decent as well but no one ever seems to talk about it. It's fairly highly ranked, it's RG and it does well across the board in most subjects yet it seems to be forgotten; other similar unis like York, Newcastle and Leeds get a lot more hype and Soton is ranked higher.

Just thought I'd ask as to why you think that's the case, I have an offer from Newcastle and I'm worried that if I turned them down for Soton it would be stupid as with Newc having a better reputation employers would respect it more.

Thoughts?
If you love the feeling of that Uni, and the course is right for you, then go there.

Southampton is a great Uni, and the city is just the right size, and has lots of interesting stuff going on.

Employers dont get as worked up about 'which Uni' as school-leavers do - you really don't need to waste time worrying about this sort of stuff, promise.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I am thinking of doing undergraduate in Southampton too. it is a good uni, high ranking and not too far from Bournemouth, got a train straight to london. perfect. I think the most important thing is how u feel about the uni, as u said you love it then you should consider about it. Like one of my friends got offer from King college, it is a very good uni, she went for an interview and got offer but she said she hates the uni, and she doesnt wanna go there.
I went to Southampton and it was initially a uni I knew nothing about, not too far from home, and a good 'fifth choice gap filler'. Went for an open day - absolute game changer. I loved it and I would highly recommend it. All my friends from the uni are in good well paid jobs 2 years after graduating or are training to be solicitors/barristers etc (I did law). I didn't know how well regarded it was with employers but interestingly all of my employers to date have made some comment about me attending a reputable uni, so that's good. The city is amazing and it's not far from Bournemouth (great beach) and Winchester (great shops). West Quay is also really good for shopping and the nightlife also.

Anyway to answer your question rather than sound like I'm paid to promote - I do think Soton is underrated. I didn't think much of it until I visited it so I imagine many people overlook it. My sister was actually hellbent on Exeter on paper, went to look and didn't like it; had put Soton due to high ranking for her course, went just to look for the fun of it, now she's studying there and she chose it over offers from KCL, Exeter, other places I can't remember now that are more 'popular'. It depends what course you're doing but I don't think Newcastle is necessarily any more reputable than Southampton, I also turned down Newcastle, Warwick, and others for Southampton. I don't think you would regret going there
Reply 4
Original post by infairverona
I went to Southampton and it was initially a uni I knew nothing about, not too far from home, and a good 'fifth choice gap filler'. Went for an open day - absolute game changer. I loved it and I would highly recommend it. All my friends from the uni are in good well paid jobs 2 years after graduating or are training to be solicitors/barristers etc (I did law). I didn't know how well regarded it was with employers but interestingly all of my employers to date have made some comment about me attending a reputable uni, so that's good. The city is amazing and it's not far from Bournemouth (great beach) and Winchester (great shops). West Quay is also really good for shopping and the nightlife also.

Anyway to answer your question rather than sound like I'm paid to promote - I do think Soton is underrated. I didn't think much of it until I visited it so I imagine many people overlook it. My sister was actually hellbent on Exeter on paper, went to look and didn't like it; had put Soton due to high ranking for her course, went just to look for the fun of it, now she's studying there and she chose it over offers from KCL, Exeter, other places I can't remember now that are more 'popular'. It depends what course you're doing but I don't think Newcastle is necessarily any more reputable than Southampton, I also turned down Newcastle, Warwick, and others for Southampton. I don't think you would regret going there

Hi, your answer was really helpful thanks you - definitely reassured me.

The fifth choice thing is exactly the same for me, I only applied as my friend has applied to Southampton Solent and said it'd be cool if we were in the same city so at the last minute I subbed it in for one of my other choices (Manchester) and I was obsessed with going to Newcastle or Lancaster. Having gotten into both I was just deciding between them and only really went to my Soton interview so my friend could see Southampton and now I love it. I love the course and the fact that you can choose any modules from any subject and it has a cool vibe about it, it's also quite pretty. It's their first year running my course as well so that's quite exciting.

But yeah, at the interview it seemed loads of people, like you say, had it as their fifth choice and were set on Exeter or Warwick. I was just worried about how no one ever seems to rate it (not that I need the prestige) I was just wondering if there was a reason for it but apparently not so its good
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by vanessa_tram
I am thinking of doing undergraduate in Southampton too. it is a good uni, high ranking and not too far from Bournemouth, got a train straight to london. perfect. I think the most important thing is how u feel about the uni, as u said you love it then you should consider about it. Like one of my friends got offer from King college, it is a very good uni, she went for an interview and got offer but she said she hates the uni, and she doesnt wanna go there.

What have you applied for? No I definitely like it, I prefer it now over Lancaster which is ranked higher
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
If you love the feeling of that Uni, and the course is right for you, then go there.

Southampton is a great Uni, and the city is just the right size, and has lots of interesting stuff going on.

Employers dont get as worked up about 'which Uni' as school-leavers do - you really don't need to waste time worrying about this sort of stuff, promise.

So you wouldn't worry about employers?
Original post by JordanC55
Hi, your answer was really helpful thanks you - definitely reassured me.

The fifth choice thing is exactly the same for me, I only applied as my friend has applied to Southampton Solent and said it'd be cool if we were in the same city so at the last minute I subbed it in for one of my other choices (Manchester) and I was obsessed with going to Newcastle or Lancaster. Having gotten into both I was just deciding between them and only really went to my Soton interview so my friend could see Southampton and now I love it. I love the course and the fact that you can choose any modules from any subject and it has a cool vibe about it, it's also quite pretty. It's their first year running my course as well so that's quite exciting.

But yeah, at the interview it seemed loads of people, like you say, had it as their fifth choice and were set on Exeter or Warwick. I was just worried about how no one ever seems to rate it (not that I need the prestige) I was just wondering if there was a reason for it but apparently not so its good

What's your course? I agree, I'm not really sure why it is tbh. I hadn't even really heard of it when I applied!
Reply 8
Original post by infairverona
What's your course? I agree, I'm not really sure why it is tbh. I hadn't even really heard of it when I applied!

English Language and Linguistics, I'll be doing it with German and apparently I can do a few psychology modules so it's legit the perfect course. So what do you do know? How did you find your time there?
Reply 9
Having said this, I've only had an interview I might not have even gotten in 😂
Having said this, I've only had an interview I might not have even gotten in 😂

stay positive. as u asked about it, that means u care, when u put effort and ur mind into something, u will get it. :smile:
good luck
What have you applied for? No I definitely like it, I prefer it now over Lancaster which is ranked higher

I wanna do actuary course there.
Reply 12
Original post by vanessa_tram
stay positive. as u asked about it, that means u care, when u put effort and ur mind into something, u will get it. :smile:
good luck

Round out today that I got in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending