The Student Room Group

This is how to criticise Israel without being anti-Semitic

Scroll to see replies

Read the list
Seems threatening
Like what's gonna happen if I do call Jews I agree with (rare) "good Jews?"
Original post by simbasdragon
'Jews' as a whole? Has every single Jew asked for 'special treatment? Is it really special treatment to ask that people avoid perpetrating anti-Semitic rhetoric as it is having a very real and violent effect of innocent people? Would black people be asking for special treatment to request that people refrain from using historically racist language and stereotypes?

lmfao here we go!! That's how so many people have abused civil rights when they hypocritically play the race card and try to guilt trip about black people
Dare I call you racist though for mentioning black people
Wouldn't be short from sounding like someone crying anti-semitic
Original post by Youngmetro
I dont understand why we should meticulously look at what we are saying like this just so we dont offend jews. Another prime example of jewish people victimising themselves so they can stop criticism, its why Israel have got away with their illegal actions.

*accusations of anti semitism incoming*

It is more than a case of 'offending Jews,' are you really that ignorant? Throughout Jewish history there has been systemic violent attacks against innocent Jews, facilitated and encouraged by this damaging and inflammatory rhetoric. This isn't a case of asking you to avoid hurting our feelings, we can cope with that, it is a case of desperately trying to curb the rise of violent attacks on streets, the targeting of death threats and planned attacks against innocent children in schools, the vandalism and burnings of synagogues and homes.

. Another prime example of jewish people victimising themselves so they can stop criticism. The aim of this article is validating the desire to criticise Israel. Why should Jewish people accept criticism for a state's government half way across the world which they have little control over? Did you mean the Israeli government, or did you mean Jews? The former deserve criticism, the latter do not.
Original post by 0to100
lmfao here we go!! That's how so many people have abused civil rights when they hypocritically play the race card and try to guilt trip about black people
Dare I call you racist though for mentioning black people
Wouldn't be short from sounding like someone crying anti-semitic

Please will you reword this comment, I have no idea what you're attempting (badly) to say.
Please will you reword this comment, I have no idea what you're attempting (badly) to say.

It was simple. You suspect Young Metro is black so you're trying to guilt trip him into not being anti-Semitic, mentioning black people's hardships. It's really a low and cliche tactic.
Original post by 0to100
Read the list
Seems threatening
Like what's gonna happen if I do call Jews I agree with (rare) "good Jews?"

I'm sure God won't strike you down. I'm of the opinion that that is one of the lesser detrimental comments mentioned in the article.
Original post by 0to100
It was simple. You suspect Young Metro is black so you're trying to guilt trip him into not being anti-Semitic, mentioning black people's hardships. It's really a low and cliche tactic.

Why would I suspect he was black? I was thinking of another group which has been historically targeted and the black race seemed the most obvious. I apologise if I inadvertently offended him, I was not thinking of his race.
Oh wow, I agree with pretty much everything written in that post. Quite a few Palestine activists fall into that trap, some not realising what they are doing and others trying to mask their prejudice.
Original post by 0to100
If they're true
Anti-semitic is an accusation anyway
From Jews namely

Are you denying the existence of anti-semitism?
The jews in isreal are nearly overwhelming of European descendants not semites, therefore it is factually impossible that the criticism of isreal can be labelled as anti-semitic. And no there ancestoral roots doesn't go back to isreal 3000 years ago. Oh ****, looks like i'm anti Semitic.
Original post by WBZ144
Oh wow, I agree with pretty much everything written in that post. Quite a few Palestine activists fall into that trap, some not realising what they are doing and others trying to mask their prejudice.

Thank you for understanding. I often criticise the Israeli government too for their actions, the worry is when people fail to distinguish between Netanyahu and Jews going about their lives here.
It is more than a case of 'offending Jews,' are you really that ignorant? Throughout Jewish history there has been systemic violent attacks against innocent Jews, facilitated and encouraged by this damaging and inflammatory rhetoric. This isn't a case of asking you to avoid hurting our feelings, we can cope with that, it is a case of desperately trying to curb the rise of violent attacks on streets, the targeting of death threats and planned attacks against innocent children in schools, the vandalism and burnings of synagogues and homes.

. Another prime example of jewish people victimising themselves so they can stop criticism. The aim of this article is validating the desire to criticise Israel. Why should Jewish people accept criticism for a state's government half way across the world which they have little control over? Did you mean the Israeli government, or did you mean Jews? The former deserve criticism, the latter do not.

Let's not forget the true victims of the conflict which is the innocent Palestinians. Jews do aggravate them a lot: Banning them from shops, protesting on palestinian streets with men armed with guns to protect them and soo many examples.

We criticise but this has increasingly being met with people claiming that it is anti semitic. Us being politically correct and saying 'isreali jews' wont do anything to fix the situation. The perpetrators of these crimes are Jewish and race (arguable if Jewish people are a race) and religion are very much big factors in this conflict, so such attacks will unfortunately continue. It is fallacious to claim that as a result of the criticism, Jews are facing increasing anti semitic attacks. A more reasonable link is that anti semitic attacks rise when the israelis do something to oppress the Palestinians.

This is just one example of a wider issue of non integration and intolerance within society.

what this tumblr post essentially does is that it makes people less likely to criticise Israel with the worry of being accused of anti semitism. This kind of special treatment stems historically where jews have been positively discriminated and open criticisms of israeli jews are often undermined or denounced because of this. Posts like this really show this more clearly and has a built a culture where Israel is protected and free of criticism on a diplomatic level.
Original post by Mentally
The jews in isreal are nearly overwhelming of European descendants not semites, therefore it is factually impossible that the criticism of isreal can be labelled as anti-semitic. And no there ancestoral roots doesn't go back to isreal 3000 years ago. Oh ****, looks like i'm anti Semitic.

Here's some education:

Jews comprise mainly of two ancestral groups, Sephardi and Ashkenazi. Both began as the same group living in Israel from around 8th century BC onwards and then became divided geographically later on. Most Jews left after the destruction of the second temple to move to Spain and North Africa. Those who stayed in these lands, along with Iran, are Sephardi. Other Jews moved on from Spain to live in Northern Europe. Those of European descent still descended from those who lived in ancient Israel.

Jesus Christ was a Jew living in Judah, the land which Israel lies upon now. There's your evidence that Jews lived there at least 2016 years ago. There is a vast wealth of evidence that Jews lived in the region as far back since the 8th century BC, as attested by most historians. Do some research.
Here's some education:

Jews comprise mainly of two ancestral groups, Sephardi and Ashkenazi. Both began as the same group living in Israel from around 8th century BC onwards and then became divided geographically later on. Most Jews left after the destruction of the second temple to move to Spain and North Africa. Those who stayed in these lands, along with Iran, are Sephardi. Other Jews moved on from Spain to live in Northern Europe. Those of European descent still descended from those who lived in ancient Israel.

Jesus Christ was a Jew living in Judah, the land which Israel lies upon now. There's your evidence that Jews lived there at least 2016 years ago. There is a vast wealth of evidence that Jews lived in the region as far back since the 8th century BC, as attested by most historians. Do some research.

Im not sure if you're incapable of reading or mentally autistic, perhaps both.
Not the phrase 'majority' in my statement does not translate to all. Do yourself a favour and google the 'khazarian hypothesis' which deems to explain the descendent of the 'MAJORITY' isreali citizens as white europeans.

Jesus was a jew? Wtf does that have to do with the idea that Jewish converts migrated from Eastern Europe. Please stop embarrassing yourself
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Oh this will be difficult to stick to.

It really isn't, this is just common sense.
Let's not forget the true victims of the conflict which is the innocent Palestinians. Jews do aggravate them a lot: Banning them from shops, protesting on palestinian streets with men armed with guns to protect them and soo many examples.

We criticise but this has increasingly being met with people claiming that it is anti semitic. Us being politically correct and saying 'isreali jews' wont do anything to fix the situation. The perpetrators of these crimes are Jewish and race (arguable if Jewish people are a race) and religion are very much big factors in this conflict, so such attacks will unfortunately continue. It is fallacious to claim that as a result of the criticism, Jews are facing increasing anti semitic attacks. A more reasonable link is that anti semitic attacks rise when the israelis do something to oppress the Palestinians.

This is just one example of a wider issue of non integration and intolerance within society.

what this tumblr post essentially does is that it makes people less likely to criticise Israel with the worry of being accused of anti semitism. This kind of special treatment stems historically where jews have been positively discriminated and open criticisms of israeli jews are often undermined or denounced because of this. Posts like this really show this more clearly and has a built a culture where Israel is protected and free of criticism on a diplomatic level.

Firstly, Israel is protected from criticism? Really? I encounter it almost weekly on mainstream news channels, the UN condemns Israel regularly, how have you missed all of this?

Your post has highlighted the problem which I'm trying to reveal, it is that this happens:

A more reasonable link is that anti semitic attacks rise when the israelis do something to oppress the Palestinians.

I'm going to leave aside your comments on Palestinians, many of which I agree with, because I was referring to British Jews, not the Israeli government, and conflating the two is downright ignorant.

Many British Jews are not Zionists, many have only been on holiday a couple of times, and very few of them have direct control or involvement in the direct running of Netanyahu's government. Why are you justifying violent and physical attacks against these innocent people? The actions of Netanyahu's government halfway across the world are the actions of the Israeli Likud party, they are not the actions of ordinary Jews, a growing number of whom are being targeted. Do you not see the issue with this?

Not only

Here's some education:

Even i know this is all lies, come on. We look at genetics for validity.

Looks like Zionist propaganda.
Original post by Mentally
Im not sure if you're incapable of reading or mentally autistic, perhaps both.
Not the phrase 'majority' in my statement does not translate to all. Do yourself a favour and google the 'khazarian hypothesis' which deems to explain the descendent of the 'MAJORITY' isreali citizens as white europeans.

Jesus was a jew? Wtf does that have to do with the idea that Jewish converts migrated from Eastern Europe. Please stop embarrassing yourself

I've just been reading the Khazarian hypothesis, and all my sources place an emphasis on this being speculation. According to Wikipedia 'the evidence used to tie the Ashkenazi communities to Khazars by descent is exiguous and subject to conflicting interpretations' and 'the theory had been received with skepticism or caution by most modern scholars.'

Are you trying to claim this little theory, based on Middle age sources and disputed by modern scholars, as fact?
Firstly, Israel is protected from criticism? Really? I encounter it almost weekly on mainstream news channels, the UN condemns Israel regularly, how have you missed all of this?

Your post has highlighted the problem which I'm trying to reveal, it is that this happens:

A more reasonable link is that anti semitic attacks rise when the israelis do something to oppress the Palestinians.

I'm going to leave aside your comments on Palestinians, many of which I agree with, because I was referring to British Jews, not the Israeli government, and conflating the two is downright ignorant.

Many British Jews are not Zionists, many have only been on holiday a couple of times, and very few of them have direct control or involvement in the direct running of Netanyahu's government. Why are you justifying violent and physical attacks against these innocent people? The actions of Netanyahu's government halfway across the world are the actions of the Israeli Likud party, they are not the actions of ordinary Jews, a growing number of whom are being targeted. Do you not see the issue with this?

First and foremost im totally against these anti semitic attacks. they are wrong and totally unjustified when innocent jews are victimised. The problem i have is that you think not being politically correct is going to increase these attacks.

Israel has been regularly defended, almost protected by the Americans. They continue to expand into palestinian territory and dont get anywhere near the attention necessary by the media and only something like Al Jazeera really reports on it. Why? Because a culture has arisen where we have to be extra sensitive when talking about Jews and the Israelis can often get away from what they do.

As we talk, Palestinians are being underpaid to build Jewish shops, schools, buildings and settlements that their own people cannot work in. Their forced to work for the jews because they take their land You ever see that on the news? This tumblr post in a certain sense highlights the fact that israelis use this taboo culture as leverage for their own agenda.
Not only

Even i know this is all lies, come on. We look at genetics for validity.

Looks like Zionist propaganda.

What are you denying? That Jesus was a Jew living in Judea, a place named after the 'biblical Israelite tribe of Judah,' where most Jews dwelt?

Or that Judaism is comprised of Ashkenazim and Sephardim?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending