The Student Room Group

64% of TSR want to remain in the EU... share your vote

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Plagioclase
I honestly don't think that we will obliterate ourselves but we definitely do need strong international unions to prevent it and people need to get off their "mah sovereignty" high horses and deal with the real world.

Brexit means our own Parliament can deal with the world as it sees fit without having to seek permission from the European Commission for its positions.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
These are all arguments I've been given before.

For the first one, as far as I'm aware we trade with the USA and China anyway, which are the only places outside of Europe actually worth anything. By messing about with our EU trade we gain what exactly?

Is this real life? Wow.

Number 2, our government managed to spend £9 million just on bloody leaflets a bit ago, is that saved money really gonna go anywhere useful? According to a google search I just did the government already borrows just over £1.3 billion a week, that saved EU money is barely gonna cut into that so idk where we're getting this excess surplus of cash to spent from.

That's like saying is the tax I've paid going to do anything useful as it's already been sent to the Government. Don't want it even when you desperately need it. Can't believe your arguments. It's based on principle, it's like pissing money away. If we had a government that worked for us rather than lobbyists then we would already have left the EU and would be spending all this money on our own issues and not have a debt of 1.5 trillion

3 is rather subjective and depends what type of immigration you mean I suppose.

As for 4, my understanding was that the steel industry going tits up was mostly due to very cheap steel imports from China, which has very little relevance to the EU. Any fishing laws I believe were to prevent overfishing, would would kill that sector an awful lot quicker. I don't know much about EU farming laws tbh, but I'd have thought if they were a massive issue I'd have known about it given that my father works in that sector. Instead the only massive problem I know of is milk price, which is again irrelevant to the EU (NFU links it to supermarket price wars or some such like)

I'm no expert but I just found this. Our farming industry is currently dying.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/feb/24/uk-will-need-to-import-over-half-of-its-food-within-a-generation-farmers-warn

It's interesting to see that a lot of people didn't like any laws our government made or stuff our government did, but then suddenly decided they were okay with the government doing whatever they like once this whole EU thing got going.

Basically all you've done is allow me to explain why brexit failed to sway me at all in the past, so um... thanks for that mate?

Since when did people suddenly think that? Your making huge ridiculous assumptions. Both our government and the EU are corrupt and incompetent. The fact is we are currently giving all our power away to the EU whilst paying billions for it. So vote in if you want, honestly, go ahead

Yea thanks for riveting debate.
Original post by gladders
Yes, I am being paid for this.

On Thursdays though, I have a second job proving the moon landings were fake.

Conquered? How? Our country is still free to do what it likes - it's having a referendum which demonstrates that right now. If the people vote to leave, we leave; if the people vote to stay, that's not conquest.

I am happy for the EU to operate in the fields of policy that have been assigned to it, for the greater common weal, as it helps the Single Market to function and enrich this country, as well as Europe.

Without any evidence, you're just wasting air. I could be just as lazy and say all Brexiters are in the pay of...I dunno, Mr Wetherspoon. It would be dumb to say, because saying things like that is dumb.

Don't put words in my mouth. And what plan? What secret information do you know about?

We aren't rule by another entity. The UK Parliament remains sovereign entirely, and has control over nearly every important field of public policy. There are some which it chooses to let the EU handle as it helps the Single Market, and enrich this country. It continues to have a considerable steer over EU-level policymaking, too, thanks to Westminster's committee structure.

But yeah, sure, whatever, we're all being taken over by aliens. Cool.

I wonder why we had the referendum in the first place? Cameron would have LOVED it if he wasn't forced to have a referendum on the issue. You act like we have democracy when we are literally a slave to the EU. Party politics is a distraction to what is going on behind the scenes. It's all about secrecy and lies. Juncker said himself "when it get's serious you have to lie" well it's serious right now in case you haven't noticed. I guess your happily floating in your bubble of liberal ideology.

You would literally spend 6 months, 38 days and 4.2 hours looking for the corner in a circle room.
Original post by dannyscott7
I wonder why we had the referendum in the first place? Cameron would have LOVED it if he wasn't forced to have a referendum on the issue. You act like we have democracy when we are literally a slave to the EU. Party politics is a distraction to what is going on behind the scenes. It's all about secrecy and lies.

So you think the fact we are having a referendum now is because we're being controlled by the EU? Do you plan on voting then, or do you think it's a waste of time and a sham?

Juncker said himself "when it get's serious you have to lie"

Did he? Where?

well it's serious right now in case you haven't noticed. I guess your happily floating in your bubble of liberal ideology.

You would literally spend 6 months, 38 days and 4.2 hours looking for the corner in a circle room.

Nice ad hominems. Shame there's been no effort to argue for Leave, just insults.
Original post by Tamora
Brexit means our own Parliament can deal with the world as it sees fit without having to seek permission from the European Commission for its positions.

Tell me, a) how can the British Parliament not deal with the world as it sees fit? If it couldn't do anything as you imply here, why does it even still exist? b) Is Britain not part of the EU? Don't they have any influence in what the EU decides?
Original post by Queen Cersei
A poll of 1,100 TSRians back in autumn showed that the majority of you want to remain in the EU: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3621353

Does that still ring true?

How are you going to vote? Tick your choice in the poll!

I wish I could vote but I can't because I'm only 17, anyone else get extremely annoyed that younger people cannot vote even though it is going to affect us more than the older generation? I feel more educated on the subject than the majority of the older people I know. Also more stuff like this should be taught in school.
TLDR: If I could vote I would vote to remain.
Original post by examiningboard
At the time of writing, 71 people have said they aren't going to vote.
Unless you're not old enough to vote, why why why are you not voting?
This is an extremely important matter, spend the next month considering both sides of the argument and vote for what you think is best for our country, it's our future after all! :top:

It really isn't. And neither is your future.
Original post by Leafy leafy
I wish I could vote but I can't because I'm only 17, anyone else get extremely annoyed that younger people cannot vote even though it is going to affect us more than the older generation? I feel more educated on the subject than the majority of the older people I know. Also more stuff like this should be taught in school.

Sad.

Someone young, interested, can't vote, but some old geezer that buggered off to Spain can.

In my opinion, old people shouldn't be allowed to vote anymore anyway. They have no future and generally vote to the detriment of those that do. I would not have a problem if I was old. My time will then be over. It is just selfishness that makes them vote.
Original post by brainhuman
Sad.

Someone young, interested, can't vote, but some old geezer that buggered off to Spain can.

In my opinion, old people shouldn't be allowed to vote anymore anyway. They have no future and generally vote to the detriment of those that do. I would not have a problem if I was old. My time will then be over. It is just selfishness that makes them vote.

Very true, also, trying hard not to generalise, but I've found many older citizens have old-fashioned ignorant views. It appears many of them see leaving the EU as way to get rid of the "immigrant problem" which most of us younger people know is not a huge issue, and in fact immigrants bring lots of benefits to the countries economy.
Very true, also, trying hard not to generalise, but I've found many older citizens have old-fashioned ignorant views. It appears many of them see leaving the EU as way to get rid of the "immigrant problem" which most of us younger people know is not a huge issue, and in fact immigrants bring lots of benefits to the countries economy.

Spot on.
Original post by brainhuman
Tell me, a) how can the British Parliament not deal with the world as it sees fit? If it couldn't do anything as you imply here, why does it even still exist? b) Is Britain not part of the EU? Don't they have any influence in what the EU decides?

entirely deal with the world... ?* The EU (amongst other things.)

It can do some, but it isn't fully autonomous.

Yes.

Little, very little.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't have time to substantiate answers atm.

:giggle:

It just shows you to be unprincipled or with bad principles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Please give a contextual basis for being more 'educated'? In other words you have been indoctrinated by an educational system which is run by people who are desperately in favor of staying in the EU for various reasons but none of which benefit us, the people of this country. They've done well in convincing you that the worst outcome for this country is actually the best. I'm very glad you can't vote and I don't blame you for having the views you do but the fact is younger people are naive and easily persuaded so the 'education' you feel empowers you in your decision is fueled by rich and powerful people who only see you as a vote to keeping us in the EU and helping them get richer, as well as pleasing those who truly rule over us. I'm sorry.
Please give a contextual basis for being more 'educated'? In other words you have been indoctrinated by an educational system which is run by people who are desperately in favor of staying in the EU for various reasons but none of which benefit us, the people of this country. They've done well in convincing you that the worst outcome for this country is actually the best. I'm very glad you can't vote and I don't blame you for having the views you do but the fact is younger people are naive and easily persuaded so the 'education' you feel empowers you in your decision is fueled by rich and powerful people who only see you as a vote to keeping us in the EU and helping them get richer, as well as pleasing those who truly rule over us. I'm sorry.

Having a different opinion from you does not make someone indoctrinated. Stop it.
Original post by gladders
Having a different opinion from you does not make someone indoctrinated. Stop it.

It is a strong suggestion not a guaranteed fact. It's funny how youth unemployment throughout Europe is spiraling and over 40% in Spain, Italy and Greece but yet many young people in the UK think being in the EU is the best way forward. Thank god we never got the Euro. Much contradiction.
It is a strong suggestion not a guaranteed fact. It's funny how youth unemployment throughout Europe is spiraling and over 40% in Spain, Italy and Greece but yet many young people in the UK think being in the EU is the best way forward. Thank god we never got the Euro. Much contradiction.

I think the fallacy of post hoc ergo propter hoc applies here. Unemployment is as much a national government issue as an EU one. The fact that it's critical in some countries and not in others suggests it's not the EU's actions that are to blame.
people need to get off their "mah sovereignty" high horses and deal with the real world.

That's no more credible than a Leave voter saying, 'people need to get off their "mah workers' rights" high horses and deal with the real world.'
so of the 1480 people who have voted either remain or leave thus far:

1052/1480 = remain = 71%
428/1480 = leave = 29%

and even if every single user who voted 'don't know yet' voted leave, remain would still have a very comfortable lead

:smug:
Original post by Hydeman
That's no more credible than a Leave voter saying, 'people need to get off their "mah workers' rights" high horses and deal with the real world.'

It's not at all the same thing, in one case you're dealing with existential risks to humanity and in the other you're talking about an interpretation of an economic system.
It's not at all the same thing, in one case you're dealing with existential risks to humanity and in the other you're talking about an interpretation of an economic system.

Which do you consider an existential risk to humanity, national sovereignty or workers' rights?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending