The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Treen98
I'm sorry in what world is 250k "normal"? I think this is considered anastronomical income given the current state of affairs

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think he meant relative to insanely rich individuals (£1mm+). So a 'normal' very high income, as it were.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Came here expecting a train wreck of a discussion - was not disappointed.

It's kind of terrifying how people can't have a discussion about privilege without people getting all defensive and claiming that they're not privileged and that and that they're the real victims of discrimination.

Everyone has some degree of privilege, and it's super ignorant not to acknowledge it. It's 2016, everybody can see there's inequality in society and some of us would like to fix it. Such childish behaviour is not helping.

Checking your privilege isn't about guilt (though such feelings are common), it's just about acknowledging that you are not systematically victimised by some structures in our society, whereas others will be. Stop holding back progress by refusing to acknowledge inequality and its causes in the first place.

(Also, if you are not from that group, stop saying that inequality and discrimination against a marginalised group isn't real. Your opinion holds zero weight in this discussion. Your biased personal opinion does not trump many others' lived experiences)

A final reminder, please do not engage bigtos.
x
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
I am at sixth form in a private school and personally think that I would have got the same grades I did regardless of what school I went to.
Honestly, even if I could afford to send my kids to private school (if I have kids!) I wouldn't send them to a private school. I think we live a very shielded life away from the rest of society and has led a lot of people to become weak as people and not be able to stand up for themselves or get their hands dirty. Most people in my school look down at those who have 'average' schooling as they call it and expect everyone to have money and buy expensive cars with expensive holidays.
As my parents were not particularly well of, they had applied for a bursary for me and I passed the means test and was the only person in my school to have 60% of my fees subsidised. So I don't really come from the same background as every one else in my school and feel like an outsider sometimes when everyone is showing of their expensive designer gear, without any idea of hard work because everything was handed to them on a platter!
Not trying to bash my school, but I do think that most people don't understand or have much knowledge of what society is like in general!:biggrin:

I completely understand what you mean, I go to an all girls private school but my parents aren't rich at all, I have a bursary like you did but an 100% one. My brother goes to a state school and if my parents had to pay for my school I would probably just end up going there. I love school but it is really frustrating when people just waste money and they constantly say thing like my shoes didn't cot much only a few hundred pounds and I know what you mean by feeling like an outsider.
Original post by FangirlFreak
Came here expecting a train wreck of a discussion - was not disappointed.

It's kind of terrifying how people can't have a discussion about privilege without people getting all defensive and claiming that they're not privileged and that and that they're the real victims of discrimination.

Everyone has some degree of privilege, and it's super ignorant not to acknowledge it. It's 2016, everybody can see there's inequality in society and some of us would like to fix it. Such childish behaviour is not helping.

Checking your privilege isn't about guilt (though such feelings are common), it's just about acknowledging that you are not systematically victimised by some structures in our society, whereas others will be. Stop holding back progress by refusing to acknowledge inequality and its causes in the first place.

(Also, if you are not from that group, stop saying that inequality and discrimination against a marginalised group isn't real. Your opinion holds zero weight in this discussion. Your biased personal opinion does not trump many others' lived experiences)

A final reminder, please do not engage bigtos.
x

This isn't tumblr.
Original post by Multiculturalism
Do you ever feel guilty because of your incredible privileges? I'm assuming you are white

No, I'm not white, I'm South Asian.

I feel grateful and fortunate for the privileged upbringing I've have, but not at all guilty. Firstly because I haven't done anything illegal or immoral to get them, because I was born into it by chance, and secondly because my life has also been difficult in some ways that most other people's haven't (also by chance) and wouldn't expect anyone else to feel guilty about that.
Original post by Princepieman
I think he meant relative to insanely rich individuals (£1mm+). So a 'normal' very high income, as it were.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously what you consider normal is relative to each individual but I think a 'normal' high income as you put it would be around 50-70k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treen98
Obviously what you consider normal is relative to each individual but I think a 'normal' high income as you put it would be around 50-70k

Posted from TSR Mobile

Notice I said 'very high', a normal high income would be around that for most people yes.

I think he's looking at things with the eyes of an aspiring financier (where fresh grads start on the high end of that range you gave), a trap I fall into a lot :')
Reply 87
Original post by FatimaHere
It's k
Try not to compare yourself to others
Personally having attended a state secondary school where I got the second highest GCSE results: 6A*3A to going into a VI form where my grades where simply average/ just below (having chosen to study triple science and maths), it took a hell of a lot of adjusting. So be prepared to adjust to the new records set
But overall I'm really grateful
I've done so much in this past year, I've learnt such a huge deal
I think being able to get to know people from all walks of life is really really eye opening
I'd say be open minded, try to leave your assumptions behind because you'll find the oddest things out.

And make sure to get involved!!! In everything you can
Milk the private education for all its worth!!!!!
Do silly things like Eco rep or charity rep because more often than not cute buffet lunches are involved
Ahhh the amount of buffets I've had this year hahaha
Work hard from day one. I know it's far easier said than done so I think one thing would to be to just get involved. Don't be afraid of what people may think, as for the most part they're entirely lovely and all have great manners.

(I'm at an all girls VI form btw)

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahahaaahha seems like you're having fun :biggrin: thanks for the advice it acc does ease some of my nerves
thanks again :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 88
Original post by tazarooni89
With only around 7% of people attending private schools, and with a lot of subsequent misconceptions, stereotyping and perhaps curiosity around what it might be like to go to one, I thought it might be useful to take some questions on the subject.

So go ahead, ask me anything :smile:

Do you think you are better?
Original post by HOLA255
Do you think you are better?

Better than what? And in what way?
Reply 90
Better than what? And in what way?

The Plebs who didn't obviously.
Original post by HOLA255
The Plebs who didn't obviously.

But better in what way? What makes someone better than another?
Reply 92
But better in what way? What makes someone better than another?

The symptoms are in how you treat others.
Reply 93
Original post by anonwinner
Do we live on the same planet?

Like, are you serious?

You're so ignorant!

It's 2016 (the current year)!

WHITE MALE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Facts, evidence?
Reply 94
No, it's the psychological subtle characterisations of someone a different skin colour. Even the minorities now have it engrained in them that if they see say, a group of black guys they should feel scared simply because they're black. The same doesn't happen (subconsciously) for a group of white guys. At interviews for jobs this happens, when people are assessing others for performance they'll have this unconscious bias, when people are dating this happens. I'm sorry but it is absolutely absurd to not recognise any privilege as a white person.

What's even worse is when people who are indeed privileged can't see it - they refuse to for a second understand the subtle biases because it doesn't apply to them. Like I said, harping on about it is pointless but please don't for a second even dismiss the fact that you are. As I acknowledge that my upbringing has given me privileges, you should accept the fact that you have no immediate unconscious biases set against you.

As for your Asians comment, that's not accurate. Even then, this isn't educational privileges I'm talking about but the reality most people have to accept and live in.

You can provide absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up whatsoever.

I am not privileged, far from it.

It is actually, deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Also went to a private school :smile: £10k per term fees and I loved it!
Original post by IAmNero
You can provide absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up whatsoever.

I am not privileged, far from it.

It is actually, deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

O rly?
http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/bernd.wittenbrink/research/pdf/dcw08.pdf
Reply 97

You have provided a document which states stereotypes are both positive and negative, and also based on research from 1970/80 which makes it very outdated. Also at no point does it say this is a common trait in modern society.

Read it before you try to use it as evidence
Original post by IAmNero
You have provided a document which states stereotypes are both positive and negative, and also based on research from 1970/80 which makes it very outdated. Also at no point does it say this is a common trait in modern society.

Read it before you try to use it as evidence

Human conditions and attitudes don't change that quickly..

I'm just not bothering tbh, you're being woefully ignorant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Human conditions and attitudes don't change that quickly..

I'm just not bothering tbh, you're being woefully ignorant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you are just a very poor debater who cannot provide any substantial point.

Has anyone ever said to you "You can't do that because your black?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest