The Student Room Group

What to talk about on first dates

A lot of the dates I go on often just turn into buddy hangouts and rarely even result in as much as a kiss... despite the last one I went on turning into a one night stand (that was just kind of a fluke though I think)

I can *talk* to girls fine, but it's often just basic stuff like what music they're into, their career / ambitions and other general small talk.

But how do I get talking about things that are a little more interesting followed by more romantic topics? To get to know them more personally should I talk about things like they're siblings, nicknames, fears, passions etc?

And how do I turn things a bit more 'romantic'? The kind of things that might lead to me kissing her or possibly even inviting her back to mine?

Edit: this isn't so much a post asking how I can get laid on a first date, it's more to get ideas of what to talk about on a date to keep the girl interested
(edited 7 years ago)
Inviting back to yours?
Original post by Anonymous
Inviting back to yours?

Exactly, what to you plan on doing?
Well generally on a first date girls will always say " let's get to know each other better".

This is just how it is, if this girl is serious then she won't want to get it jumping under the sheets from the get go.

You'll just have to wait it out, till she "feels she's ready or it's the right time" and all that nonsense.

Usually I can tell if a girl is up for it or not, from her body language and how she converses with me.

She'll be very touchy and will confine your space a lot more, when she does this it's a subliminal that she's horny.

But just trust your sense and your judgement, trust me you'll know.
Reply 4
Original post by Powerpuff Girls
Well generally on a first date girls will always say " let's get to know each other better".

This is just how it is, if this girl is serious then she won't want to get it jumping under the sheets from the get go.

You'll just have to wait it out, till she "feels she's ready or it's the right time" and all that nonsense.

Usually I can tell if a girl is up for it or not, from her body language and how she converses with me.

She'll be very touchy and will confine your space a lot more, when she does this it's a subliminal that she's horny.

But just trust your sense and your judgement, trust me you'll know.

Thanks, that's pretty much what it was like on my last date... she just made it really obvious that she was up for a one night stand.

But bear in mind I'm not *just* after sex haha... I'm more interested in just gathering some ideas of things to talk about to keep the girl interested instead of her feeling like she's out having a drink with one of her mates
Original post by adamff73642
A lot of the dates I go on often just turn into buddy hangouts and rarely even result in as much as a kiss... despite the last one I went on turning into a one night stand (that was just kind of a fluke though I think)

I can *talk* to girls fine, but it's often just basic stuff like what music they're into, their career / ambitions and other general small talk.

But how do I get talking about things that are a little more interesting followed by more romantic topics? To get to know them more personally should I talk about things like they're siblings, nicknames, fears, passions etc?

And how do I turn things a bit more 'romantic'? The kind of things that might lead to me kissing her or possibly even inviting her back to mine?

Edit: this isn't so much a post asking how I can get laid on a first date, it's more to get ideas of what to talk about on a date to keep the girl interested

Answered it yourself :smile:
Talk about Nigel Farage.
Bitches love Nigel Farage.

Attachment not found
Thanks, that's pretty much what it was like on my last date... she just made it really obvious that she was up for a one night stand.

But bear in mind I'm not *just* after sex haha... I'm more interested in just gathering some ideas of things to talk about to keep the girl interested instead of her feeling like she's out having a drink with one of her mates

Oh okay. Do your conversation ever flow naturally or do you usually have to force it as to keep her interested? Usually what happens is when you have to think of what topics to talk about each time to keep her attention she'll start to treat you more like friends hanging out, rather than a date. It's always best if conversation is free flowing and you don't have to think too long about how to keep her interest. As that will make her feel like you both have a "connection" and will see you as more than just a "male friend".
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Powerpuff Girls
Oh okay. Do your conversation ever flow naturally or do you usually have to force it as to keep her interested? Usually what happens is when you have to think of what topics to talk about each time to keep her attention she'll start to treat you more like friends hanging out, rather than a date. It's always best if conversation is free flowing and you don't have to think too long about how to keep her interest. As that will make her feel like you both have a "connection" and will see you as more than just a "male friend".

Thanks, that sounds about right. I used to feel like I had to force it but I think that was because I used to be pretty nervous on dates. These days I'm more relaxed and conversation tends to flow a bit better (especially when alcohol is involved).

I've read up on dating blogs and things which has given me some pretty good tips about what to do and what not to do on dates, but at the same time its sort of opened a can of worms and made me overthink it at times (hence my OP!)
Reply 9
Thanks, that sounds about right. I used to feel like I had to force it but I think that was because I used to be pretty nervous on dates. These days I'm more relaxed and conversation tends to flow a bit better (especially when alcohol is involved).

I've read up on dating blogs and things which has given me some pretty good tips about what to do and what not to do on dates, but at the same time its sort of opened a can of worms and made me overthink it at times (hence my OP!)

So what were those tips? :biggrin:
I'd also say that you shouldn't overthink it too much when talking to a girl, but for me, when english is not my native language, I have to think a little bit more before I open my mouth :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending