The Student Room Group

London Mayoral Election

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omen96
When did I say there was an issue? Please point that out

''This is a pointless election. Labour will win London Mayoral elections because Majority of London is made up of non-English persons or immigrants. And especially when you count the large Muslim population they will naturally gravitate to a Labour candidate. London is lost to Labour because they imported the vote''

Why point this out when you think there isnt an issue?
Reply 41
Original post by Youngmetro
''This is a pointless election. Labour will win London Mayoral elections because Majority of London is made up of non-English persons or immigrants. And especially when you count the large Muslim population they will naturally gravitate to a Labour candidate. London is lost to Labour because they imported the vote''

Why point this out when you think there isnt an issue?

It's my opinion but it's not an issue as such. Difference of interpretation it appears. I just believe there is no point voting when firstly Mayoral power is almost zilch and secondly Labour will be in regardless (not that Tory or Labour would make a difference). I didn't want it to turn into a debate on an "issue" which needs fixing
Reply 42
your assumption is 'I know, lets vote for a fellow immigrant!'. That isnt the only factor nor is it a game changer for voters. If Zac Goldsmith didnt launch a religious attack on Khan and his policies were better then he would have had a greater chance.

That's how I see it as well
Boris Johnson is a conservative and he won last time.
Zac Goldsmith hasn't come up with anything interesting expect moaning about Khans religion
Original post by xxvine
That's how I see it as well
Boris Johnson is a conservative and he won last time.
Zac Goldsmith hasn't come up with anything interesting expect moaning about Khans religion

Bothe Boris Johnson and the soon to be ex Labour Party member Ken Livingstone were seen as more or less independent figures, whereas Zac Goldsmith and Sadiq Khan are more traditional party candidates. So I think it will come down to which party gets their vote out.
Original post by barnetlad
Bothe Boris Johnson and the soon to be ex Labour Party member Ken Livingstone were seen as more or less independent figures, whereas Zac Goldsmith and Sadiq Khan are more traditional party candidates. So I think it will come down to which party gets their vote out.

Well put.
Reply 45
Original post by Omen96
It's just a coincidence then that all high immigrant areas are Labour run and most immigrants vote for Labour...right, cheers to coincidence

Not all immigrants vote Labour.
Reply 46
Original post by Josb
Not all immigrants vote Labour.

I said "most" in my defence and I'm not attacking them, I was moreso trying to prove a point at why I believe London Mayoral elections are pointless now because for a city with >50% immigrants, Labour will always win
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Omen96
I said "most" in my defence and I'm not attacking them, I was moreso trying to prove a point at why I believe London Mayoral elections are pointless now because for a city with >50% immigrants, Labour will always win

Explain boris then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sadiq khan, not only does he connect with the electorate which Zac doesn't do much, his policies are also realistic, not outragoeus like zacs
Original post by Lime-man
Explain boris then

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think ANYTHING can explain Boris?
Reply 50
Original post by Lime-man
Explain boris then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Boris came about from low turnout, but under his 8 years the immigrant population has boomed Lessing his type of voter demographic. Boris would not win third time round
Reply 51
Original post by ikhan94
Sadiq khan, not only does he connect with the electorate which Zac doesn't do much, his policies are also realistic, not outragoeus like zacs

It truly is sad when someone thinks voting a Labour mayor over a Tory one or vice versa will actually make a difference on the housing shortage, rent prices, travel costs and air quality for example. How much power and influence do you think the mayor actually has? For decades mayors have only served as a face for the city
Original post by Omen96
Boris came about from low turnout, but under his 8 years the immigrant population has boomed Lessing his type of voter demographic. Boris would not win third time round

Ken Livingstone had made enemies as Mayor. Another Labour candidate would have won in 2012.
Original post by Omen96
It truly is sad when someone thinks voting a Labour mayor over a Tory one or vice versa will actually make a difference on the housing shortage, rent prices, travel costs and air quality for example. How much power and influence do you think the mayor actually has? For decades mayors have only served as a face for the city

They have nudge power, but the major problems affecting housing in London are insoluble at that level, it would require changes in national government policy and probably some laws as well and can only be fixed by HMG and Parliament. The Mayor has a lot more control over transport and TFL and can do a lot there.
Reply 54
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They have nudge power, but the major problems affecting housing in London are insoluble at that level, it would require changes in national government policy and probably some laws as well and can only be fixed by HMG and Parliament. The Mayor has a lot more control over transport and TFL and can do a lot there.

I just think people need to stop looking at Khan or Goldsmith as their hope when in reality the elite who control will still 4 years on control London (if not more). Heck more international billionaires own London than the state, it's future is beyond the hands of the U.K. London is its own world outside the UK.
It's just desparate stuff from Goldsmith. His whole campaign has been based on laughably trying to portray Khan as an extremist based on the fact he's Muslim.
Despite the fact that Khan has fought extremism his whole life while most tories abstained or voted against gay marriage..

The icing on the biscuit was the fact Cameron accused Khan of sharing a platform with an IS supproter who it turns out was an active tory campaigner who turned against Khan due to his stance on gay marriage...
Original post by Omen96
It's my opinion but it's not an issue as such. Difference of interpretation it appears. I just believe there is no point voting when firstly Mayoral power is almost zilch and secondly Labour will be in regardless (not that Tory or Labour would make a difference). I didn't want it to turn into a debate on an "issue" which needs fixing

Gotta love closet racists, your opinion is that its 'pointless' because 'immigrants' are voting. Stop talking rubbish, its just simple; You think native voters have a bigger say than migrant voters and have a problem.
Reply 57
Gotta love closet racists, your opinion is that its 'pointless' because 'immigrants' are voting. Stop talking rubbish, its just simple; You think native voters have a bigger say than migrant voters and have a problem.

I never said that, I don't care one bit if immigrants vote or not but its statistically true immigrants automatically gravitate to Labour and when London is >50% immigrants Labour will always win. I don't even like London so why would I care if immigrants vote or not?
Original post by Omen96
I never said that, I don't care one bit if immigrants vote or not but its statistically true immigrants automatically gravitate to Labour and when London is >50% immigrants Labour will always win. I don't even like London so why would I care if immigrants vote or not?

Well why post if you care? If you were simply pointing that out you wouldnt have adopted that tone. Dont bother lying, its pathetic. Why exactly is it pointless then? If immigrants support labour, why is it pointless? Unless you have an issue with immigrants.
Reply 59
Well why post if you care? If you were simply pointing that out you wouldnt have adopted that tone. Dont bother lying, its pathetic. Why exactly is it pointless then? If immigrants support labour, why is it pointless? Unless you have an issue with immigrants.

LOOOOOOL "adopted that tone"

My problem was with mayoral elections LMAO, I consider them pointless especially in London. And yes I said Immigrants statistically vote Labour, and I made the point London is >50% immigrants so Labour will win anyway making the election even more pointless. Why are you crying for me pointing out a fact? Every election many more Immigrants vote Labour over Tory and London is statistically majority made of immigrants so it does not take a genius to put 2 and 2 together but I understand I may have hurt your left wing safe space lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending