The Student Room Group

Serious nose block problem

So for nearly over a year I have had this nose block where one side of my nose gets blocked and then it switches over. It's been an ongoing problem and I don't know how to get rid of it. Because of this, my nose is always runny and it's now come to a point that I want it to take actions.Also,when I go to sleep I have to breathe through my nose as only of the side of my nose works. Is there anything that I can do to stop this, or is there any operation that can be done?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helpmepickone
So for nearly over a year I have had this nose block where one side of my nose gets blocked and then it switches over. It's been an ongoing problem and I don't know how to get rid of it. Because of this, my nose is always runny and it's now come to a point that I want it to take actions.Also,when I go to sleep I have to breathe through my nose as only of the side of my nose works. Is there anything that I can do to stop this, or is there any operation that can be done?

Do you take antihistamines, decongestants, or other medications? Nasal sprays work well, especially when paired with an oral decongestant. It's worth seeing if it's related to allergies, as that'll give you constant suffering unless you get some therapy.
Reply 2
I think that you should have looked into this earlier. I definitely think that you should seek medical advice as this has been going on for too long, if it was going to get better then it would have done so quite a while ago…
have you tried those sprays for unblocking noses?
Like @SophiMai said, this has been going on long enough that perhaps you should seek help. The health forum isn't supposed to replace seeing a doctor. I've suggested things based on my own experience, but you should certainly see an actual medical practitioner rather than relying on a bunch of students!
Original post by rayestar
have you tried those sprays for unblocking noses?

The sprays really aren't that good. I've used them before and they really don't work.
Original post by Tiger Rag
The sprays really aren't that good. I've used them before and they really don't work.

I'm in America so maybe we've got different ones here, but I know that there are some that do nothing and some that are miraculous (often more expensive, hooray for crappy health care).
Reply 7

I'd suggest you see a doctor. If basically anything has been going on for more than a few months it means it's probably a symptom of a more permanent condition and will need medical evaluation and probably treatment. Nasal sprays are usually meant to be a tempory fix so I wouldn't suggest taking them long term unless you've had it suggested by a doctor/ other medical professional.
Not saying this is it, but I know somebody who had a blocked nose all the time as a kid. They had blocked sinuses and had them flushed which soted it almost completely.
Whatever the case there is almost certinally something to fix it so go see your doc and you can get it sorted. :smile:
Original post by Kindred

Not saying this is it, but I know somebody who had a blocked nose all the time as a kid. They had blocked sinuses and had them flushed which soted it almost completely.

There are kits you can pick up for about £15 in Boots. I really need to get around to getting it done too.
There are kits you can pick up for about £15 in Boots. I really need to get around to getting it done too.

what's it called?
what's it called?

Sinus rinse
Sinus rinse

thanks
this is so strange to me. I've spent my entire life thinking I was the only one on this planet that had that problem. I have had this thing since I was probably around 10 years old. When I was younger it was a lot more difficult because I was more active. I tried those sprays all of the time when I was a small kid and they would only give me temporary relief. I have had some dentists tell me they think it's sinus problems and I've had other people tell me it's a deviated septum which would both require surgery.
Original post by emobambam
this is so strange to me. I've spent my entire life thinking I was the only one on this planet that had that problem. I have had this thing since I was probably around 10 years old. When I was younger it was a lot more difficult because I was more active. I tried those sprays all of the time when I was a small kid and they would only give me temporary relief. I have had some dentists tell me they think it's sinus problems and I've had other people tell me it's a deviated septum which would both require surgery.

have u decided to have any of the surgery?
Sinus rinse

Original post by emobambam

my nose is not fully blocked, for example, right now my left nose is blocked but partially. What I mean is that I can inhale and exhale through my right nose but it's difficult and tough whereas my left nose is perfectly fine for now. Then in a few hours, it will switch over and my left nose will be blocked and my right nostril will be fine.
have u decided to have any of the surgery?
no I have not because my dad was kind of a macho macho guy and he would always talk about how guys don't get that stuff done. Guys just suffer through it. As I get older I find it doesn't bother me as much anymore. Good luck and if you can remember to let me know what happens. I honestly thought I was the only one. Every time I told somebody this when I was a kid they would look at me like I was just crazy. I really honestly know how annoying it is. I really sympathize with you.
my nose is not fully blocked, for example, right now my left nose is blocked but partially. What I mean is that I can inhale and exhale through my right nose but it's difficult and tough whereas my left nose is perfectly fine for now. Then in a few hours, it will switch over and my left nose will be blocked and my right nostril will be fine.
honestly I am telling you I have had this same exact problem since I was around 10 years old. I know how annoying it is. For everyone else out there this problem is extremely annoying to the person you suffering from it. One hour it be the left nostril and the next hour it would be the right. Sometimes it would be partially blocked and other times it would be nearly completely blocked. I've always heard it was because of a sinus issue or a deviated septum. I'm not really too sure what a deviated septum is though. Even when I've told doctors this issue they have looked at me oddly. I just stopped asking people because I was tired of this weird look they would give me. They would almost look at me like I was making it up or was crazy. It is really annoying, isn't it? I honestly really thought I was the only one.
Original post by sjohnson98
I'm in America so maybe we've got different ones here, but I know that there are some that do nothing and some that are miraculous (often more expensive, hooray for crappy health care).
LOL I also live in America and I know exactly what you mean by crappy Healthcare coverage.

I think it depends on person cos it works on my sis apparently
I don't really have nose block problems but the rest of my family does lol
Original post by rayestar
I think it depends on person cos it works on my sis apparently
I don't really have nose block problems but the rest of my family does lol

My dad get a lot of issues with his sinuses.He was told by a GP that the over the counter stuff isn't that good.

Quick Reply

Latest