The Student Room Group

What's the solution to the migrant crisis?

Scroll to see replies

If we had a solution, then it wouldn't be a crisis (i.e. we don't know).
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Yes. I should. I'm native. Lest I break the law or such. Special? In the quasi-philosophical sense you're referring; nothing intrinsically. I don't need to be special to be a native. But we have to make privilegia for our own natives. Whether you like it or not. Your argument is just puerile, "You meant what I say you meant! Just admit it!" - no.

Suit yourself.

And why do we have to make privileges to our own natives?

I'd much rather chuck all the AfD-voting, Pegida marching neo-Nazis out of my country and take up immigrants from Syria (which you probably don't know, was actually a fairly wealthy, educated country).
Original post by brainhuman
Suit yourself.

I'd much rather chuck all the AfD-voting, Pegida marching neo-Nazis out of my country and take up immigrants from Syria (which you probably don't know, was actually a fairly wealthy, educated country).

Because that's how reality works. If you decry and abnegate your own people, or desires, you fail to incentivize people. Self-sacrificial altruism may be a moral duty, but not under circumstances that will worsen others; in this case, it's the lives of our natives, whom we have a legal and moral right to ensure are primus inter pares within their own historic and cultural setting.

Of course you would, you're clearly of the pharisaical bunch we call the regressive left. The matters of history, culture, linguistics and a material understanding of problems is merely trifle next your imagination of what's proper.

Things aren't a zero-sum game sadly. It's more complicated than just being nice to people because we can.
(edited 7 years ago)
Suit yourself.

Oh, and I had been to Syria before the civil war thank you. I'm acutely aware of its debacle.
Because that's how reality works. If you decry and abnegate your own people, or desires, you fail to incentivize people. Self-sacrificial altruism may be a moral duty, but not under circumstances that will worsen others; in this case, it's the lives of our natives, whom we have a legal and moral right to ensure are primer inter pares within their own historic and cultural setting.

Of course you would, you're clearly of the pharisaical bunch we call the regressive left. The matters of history, culture, linguistics and a material understanding of problems is merely trifle next your imagination of what's proper.

Things aren't a zero-sum game sadly. It's more complicated than just being nice to people because we can.

Says you?

ps regressive left? lol'd. if you think I am illiberal, you haven't read any of my posts properly.
Says you?

ps regressive left? lol'd. if you think I am illiberal, you haven't read any of my posts properly.

Yea, say I. What's your point?

Your points on this matter mark you as quite illiberal yes. Though to distinguish being regressive doesn't make you "illiberal" the corpus of liberalism in the mainstream is just becoming less traditionally liberal. So it's fine for you to not be suited to its original modus operandi.
Original post by Grand High Witch
People aren't going stop coming (or attempt to come) to Europe for the foreseeable future. What do we do about it? It can't be sustainable just to have large volumes of people wandering around the continent. Do we resettle them all in Europe? Do we send them back? Do we create more camps? Do we try and share the burden across Europe?

What's your view?

Let nature take its course and let the migrants live here. We can integrate them into British society or we integrate into their culture.
Europe's border control right here

Yea, say I. What's your point?

Your points on this matter mark you as quite illiberal yes. Though to distinguish being regressive doesn't make you "illiberal" the corpus of liberalism in the mainstream is just becoming less traditionally liberal. So it's fine for you to not be suited to its original modus operandi.

You are one big piece of work. So full of yourself, which incidentally, make you come across as rather illeberal in this thread.

The point is, why is what you say true or, how things are? You just wrote a bunch of opinions and irrelevant facts and then concluded "it's not that simple" and in your eyes, that's it. All I am pointing out, that to some people, it in fact is that simple. And you not accepting that makes you illeberal.

And yes, that is exactly what regressive means.
Original post by Grand High Witch
People aren't going stop coming (or attempt to come) to Europe for the foreseeable future. What do we do about it? It can't be sustainable just to have large volumes of people wandering around the continent. Do we resettle them all in Europe? Do we send them back? Do we create more camps? Do we try and share the burden across Europe?

What's your view?

First everybody needs to understand something. If you dont understand what i am about to write, then its impossible to understand my "solution"

There are genuine refugees - These are people from Syria whom have had to leave Syria and seek new pastures due to the civil war. Now when the leader of Europe says "Refugees welcome! come come, free house, free health, free school, nice Mercedes" - The ears of two impoverished continents pick up. Africa and Asia. Literally millions of people thinking JACKPOT, what an incredible opportunity. Scrape together lifesavings of £1000 and be smuggled across the Med on a £5 Lilo. You suddenly have millions of economic migrants risking death and making smugglers filthy rich.

There simply has to be cautious, conservative and hyperopic view taken with dealing with this mess. The first world needs to come together to financially aid Lebanon and others with the camps (As they are doing) - I would like to say the genuine refugees would return to Syria when things calm and with western support and money, rebuild but the middle east is perpetually involved in civil and religious wars so it isnt much of a solution, particuarly if you are a genuine refugee who's life is now uncertain and in limbo

What cannot happen is the indiscriminate welcoming of anyone and everyone as thanks to Germany, Europe is having to learn the hard way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because that's how reality works. If you decry and abnegate your own people, or desires, you fail to incentivize people. Self-sacrificial altruism may be a moral duty, but not under circumstances that will worsen others; in this case, it's the lives of our natives, whom we have a legal and moral right to ensure are primus inter pares within their own historic and cultural setting.

Incentivize people is the wrong idea, we're not playing World of Warcrafts. I can't believe what you just wrote.
You're making this s*** up "
it's the lives of our natives, whom we have a legal and moral right to ensure are primus inter pares within their own historic and cultural setting. "
What laws govern this obligation?
What the donkeys you on about
"zero-sum game "
"pharisaical bunch"
This is not a serious argument.
Like you ignore the fact Britain created the slave trade?

Not only is this a blatant lie, but Britain were trailblazers in banning slavery and they didn't even have the biggest or worst slave trade. That honour belongs to the Arabs lol.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Not only is this a blatant lie, but Britain were trailblazers in banning slavery and they didn't even have the biggest or worst slave trade. That honour belongs to the Arabs lol.

Please read the thread, I acknowledge that statement was inaccurate to my meaning.
You are one big piece of work. So full of yourself, which incidentally, make you come across as rather illeberal in this thread.

The point is, why is what you say true or, how things are? You just wrote a bunch of opinions and irrelevant facts and then concluded "it's not that simple" and in your eyes, that's it. All I am pointing out, that to some people, it in fact is that simple. And you not accepting that makes you illeberal.

And yes, that is exactly what regressive means.

How is it true? Because it's evident that's how people operate. If you're going to attempt pedantry on that point, then woe to ye. Nothing what I said is irrelevant or nonfactual. In actual academic practice, people generally agree on some basic axioms to a matter. You're incapable of that, because your bilious chattering has to belie your myopia of history. "But why do things not always be nice?!" If I have to tell you why, you're truly stupid.

It doesn't make me illiberal. I'm more traditionally liberal than most people here I suppose. Ask the liberals of the general committee if they'd have allowed swathes of illegals into France. Pretty sure you'd not be told what you like.

Bla, bla, bla. You're ennui epitomized.
Original post by Vinny1900
Incentivize people is the wrong idea, we're not playing World of Warcrafts. I can't believe what you just wrote.
You're making this s*** up "
it's the lives of our natives, whom we have a legal and moral right to ensure are primus inter pares within their own historic and cultural setting. "
What laws govern this obligation?
What the donkeys you on about
"zero-sum game "
"pharisaical bunch"
This is not a serious argument.

"I don't like or understand the sentiment behind what you say. YOU'RE WRONG, IT'S NOT A SERIOUS ARGUMENT" Okay famalam.
How is it true? Because it's evident that's how people operate. If you're going to attempt pedantry on that point, then woe to ye. Nothing what I said is irrelevant or nonfactual. In actual academic practice, people generally agree on some basic axioms to a matter. You're incapable of that, because your bilious chattering has to belie your myopia of history. "But why do things not always be nice?!" If I have to tell you why, you're truly stupid.

It doesn't make me illiberal. I'm more traditionally liberal than most people here I suppose. Ask the liberals of the general committee if they'd have allowed swathes of illegals into France. Pretty sure you'd not be told what you like.

Bla, bla, bla. You're ennui epitomized.

I am rather confident I am much more intelligent than you :wink:

It is evident? There are plenty of countries that decided that actually yes, it is as simple as we are able to help, so let's help. But I guess if one is so full of oneself, it's hard to see things that make one wrong.

I should have stuck to my plan last night and put you on the ignore list. People like you don't go along well with the internet and forums.

The bold part is rather ironic. If you'd read all my posts on here, you'd find that pretty much everything you said about me, is complete bs (including that statement). But hey, better not right, lest you find out you were wrong. And you can't be wrong, can you? I mean you consider even an internet forum equivalent to academic discourse. You are one serious scholar mate.

It is evident? There are plenty of countries that decided that actually yes, it is as simple as we are able to help, so let's help. But I guess if one is so full of oneself, it's hard to see things that make one wrong.

I should have stuck to my plan last night and put you on the ignore list. People like you don't go along well with the internet and forums.

The bold part is rather ironic. If you'd read all my posts on here, you'd find that pretty much everything you said about me, is complete bs (including that statement). But hey, better not right, lest you find out you were wrong. And you can't be wrong, can you? I mean you consider even an internet forum equivalent to academic discourse. You are one serious scholar mate.

I don't. Which is why I'm not interested in this so severely. You just took what I said was evident and applied it to a different thing. Yeah, yeah. Okay. Whatever you say.

Wait, why are you even giving an internet forum so much credence to precipitate your ignore lists? Shouldn't someone of your rather, demure intellect be studying rather than obsessing over that?
Original post by 0to100
I'm sure the "refugees" who will float in the sea or die of starvation when people turn them away would love to see your face and remember the coldness behind it even in death

Im sure the "refugees" who will float in the sea or die at the hands of ruthless smugglers who after seeing their third world countrymen living it up in Germany, decided it was worth the risk would love to see your face and remember the stupidity behind it even in death
Wait, why are you even giving an internet forum so much credence to precipitate your ignore lists? Shouldn't someone of your rather, demure intellect be studying rather than obsessing over that?

I don't need to study :wink:

Shouldn't someone like you be playing make belief at MUN? Or preparing for it? I am sure you would find like minded phonies there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending