The Student Room Group

The EU question has shown how the left are the greatest hypocrites

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dez
You've used the word "they" several times now. Who exactly are you quoting?

This forum last general election, the guardian comments last general election and student bodies were never shy of saying big business just wants austerity and the elite run things.
Reply 21
Original post by Omen96
This forum last general election, the guardian comments last general election and student bodies were never shy of saying big business just wants austerity and the elite run things.

So no-one of any actual importance then.
Reply 22
Original post by Dez
So no-one of any actual importance then.

I'm talking about Left wing IN voters, the whole thread was not for famous politicians lol. For the record Jeremy Corbyn and his crew have always been on that side of the debate, the unions and large number of left wing bodies so even the Hypocricy scales to the top. Only last year Corbyn criticised big banks and businesses for their influence in politics
Original post by Omen96
I'm talking about Left wing IN voters, the whole thread was not for famous politicians lol. For the record Jeremy Corbyn and his crew have always been on that side of the debate, the unions and large number of left wing bodies so even the Hypocricy scales to the top. Only last year Corbyn criticised big banks and businesses for their influence in politics

If Corbyn came out in favour of free trade or something then yes he would be a hypocrite. But he isn't. The left wing case relies on the social aspect of the EU such as workers rights, environmental protections etc. The EU HAS changed - which is why Thatcher cooled towards it and lefties come round to seeing it as a force for good.

A case of hypocrisy would be people fundamentally against the NHS suddenly wanting to defend it against all costs and spent millions on it post brexit (from 'aladons cave' as the select committee chair put it) like those on Vote Leave have done.
Reply 24
Original post by Davij038
If Corbyn came out in favour of free trade or something then yes he would be a hypocrite. But he isn't. The left wing case relies on the social aspect of the EU such as workers rights, environmental protections etc. The EU HAS changed - which is why Thatcher cooled towards it and lefties come round to seeing it as a force for good.

A case of hypocrisy would be people fundamentally against the NHS suddenly wanting to defend it against all costs and spent millions on it post brexit (from 'aladons cave' as the select committee chair put it) like those on Vote Leave have done.

The Hypocricy is using the treasury, big business, banks and the elite to argue your message which is what the left have done. The way they have criticised these as bias, untruthal and unrepresentative in the past does not give them a basis to argue for them as absolutely right beyond comprehension now. Because that's exactly how the left are behaving. Will they suddenly call these institutions corrupt again after the EU question is settled? Because that certainly would be hypocritical.
Original post by Omen96
The Hypocricy is using the treasury, big business, banks and the elite to argue your message which is what the left have done. The way they have criticised these as bias, untruthal and unrepresentative in the past does not give them a basis to argue for them as absolutely right beyond comprehension now. Because that's exactly how the left are behaving. Will they suddenly call these institutions corrupt again after the EU question is settled? Because that certainly would be hypocritical.

Pro tip: the left aren't all the same.

Pro pro tip: those people who did that last year were wrong then, and wrong now. I never approved of it, and I don't now, and I certainly don't think bringing it up in any way negates the force of the arguments those organisations are making.
Reply 26
Original post by gladders
Pro tip: the left aren't all the same.

Pro pro tip: those people who did that last year were wrong then, and wrong now. I never approved of it, and I don't now, and I certainly don't think bringing it up in any way negates the force of the arguments those organisations are making.

I shouldn't generalise but a majority are pushing this argument, and at least the leading figures who represent the majority. Don't think this is solely attacking the left, I just expected more from the left as I admired Tony Benn
It's not rocket science. In simple terms the EU is more left wing than the UK govt, hence why most of the left support staying in.

Agreeing with your traditional enemies on one issue doesn't make you bedfellows, take Nigel Farage and George Galloway for example.
Original post by Omen96
I shouldn't generalise but a majority are pushing this argument, and at least the leading figures who represent the majority. Don't think this is solely attacking the left, I just expected more from the left as I admired Tony Benn

The majority? Really? I honestly have only seen it peddled by the most leftwing of leftwing people.

And even if they were...so what? It does nothing to diminish what the OECD et al are saying. There's plenty of rightwing people also opposing Brexit.
Reply 29
The majority? Really? I honestly have only seen it peddled by the most leftwing of leftwing people.

And even if they were...so what? It does nothing to diminish what the OECD et al are saying. There's plenty of rightwing people also opposing Brexit.

It disregards your (not you personally) argument entirely if you call such bodies bias, pro-capitalism only, untruthful, elitist, corrupt or whatever during general elections (especially when the Tories were justifying austerity), then promote these very organisations and their opinions/data without even questioning their motives. You can not possibly think it reasonable to jump back and further over the line when it comes to promoting statistics/opinions from a source? If you believe a source is not valid and you shout this on a regular basis, you can not then use said source to promote your agenda, you lost the right to that when you criticised their validity. Why were they wrong then but right now? We are at least owed an explanation for that
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Omen96
It disregard your argument entirely if you call such bodies bias, pro-capitalism only, untruthful, elitist, corrupt or whatever during general elections (especially when the Tories were justifying austerity), then promote these very organisations and their opinions/data without even questioning their motives. You can not possibly think it reasonable to jump back and further over the line when it comes to promoting statistics/opinions from a source? If you believe a source is not valid and you shout this on a regular basis, you can not then use said source to promote your agenda, you lost the right to that when you criticised their validity

We're going round in circles now. You have no guarantee whatsoever that those people who said those things last year are even the same as those supporting Remain today. There are very left-wing Brexiters, after all.
Reply 31
We're going round in circles now. You have no guarantee whatsoever that those people who said those things last year are even the same as those supporting Remain today. There are very left-wing Brexiters, after all.

I can't speak for many then but as for the leading figures, the NUS, unions and Greens are guilty of this. The IMF and other bodies disregarded the legitimacy of the Green's economic plan and they argued against it, yet now they make statements about the EU directly from these bodies in terms of the "economic consequences"
Original post by Omen96
I can't speak for many then but as for the leading figures, the NUS, unions and Greens are guilty of this. The IMF and other bodies disregarded the legitimacy of the Green's economic plan and they argued against it, yet now they make statements about the EU directly from these bodies in terms of the "economic consequences"

Well they were wrong then, and anyone who uses the same tactic is wrong now. Doesn't detract from the force of the arguments made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending