The Student Room Group

What does it mean to be in love?

And what does it mean to fall out of love?
My girlfriend told me I play games too much,

I said it was nothing to Fallout 4
Falling in love - when you see stars in their eyes and nothing else matters
Falling out - everything about them becomes ugly
For me, falling in love is when you find your partner is also your best friend. The butterflies and excitement of the relationship eventually fade, but you still find happiness being around one-another. It's contentment.

Falling out of love is being away from them for so long and recognizing that you were never meant to be, and there you weren't compatible.
In- you forgive them for anything you wouldnt forgive anyone else for, and overlook more or less any major flaws they possess, or you promise to work on it with them.
out- you realise how nuts they were :biggrin:
Being in love is the best feeling ever
I found it like 14 years ago:u: and we will never ever ever fall out of love :colonhash:

Spoiler

your first point is completely correct, i find its those who have never had love before who think butterflies is completely normal to feel for years, its not, what youve written is correct, happy and content.
Original post by welcometoib
your first point is completely correct, i find its those who have never had love before who think butterflies is completely normal to feel for years, its not, what youve written is correct, happy and content.

When I was in a relationship and told my partner at the time that the butterflies had faded for me, she thought I no longer liked her/found her attractive/wanted to be with her. In reality, I was so happy and content with the relationship that even after those feelings of a new relationship and excitement had faded, I still wanted to be with her.
was that her first relationship? i had the same reply given to me too.
was that her first relationship? i had the same reply given to me too.

It was both of ours. We dated young, though I was always more emotionally mature for my age.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
And what does it mean to fall out of love?

Love lasts for 2 years according to the world of science. It's a chemical trick in the brain.
yep, as i thought. its just a learning curve, at least she will realise in her future relationships that its normal and nothing to be upset about
Reply 12
In- you forgive them for anything you wouldnt forgive anyone else for, and overlook more or less any major flaws they possess, or you promise to work on it with them.
out- you realise how nuts they were :biggrin:

I would reconsider your comment,"you forgive them for anything you wouldn't forgive anyone else for". Did you see this about domestic abuse
@3.53 The woman is all black and blue after domestic abuse and tries to get back together with the abuser because she was in love with him.

[video]https://youtu.be/VvAoyh8UlEw?t=204[/video]

Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HOLA255
I would reconsider your comment,"you forgive them for anything you wouldn't forgive anyone else for". Did you see this about domestic abuse
@3.53 The woman is all black and blue after domestic abuse and tries to get back together with the abuser because she was in love with him.

[video]https://youtu.be/VvAoyh8UlEw?t=204[/video]

Attachment not found

thats horrible, but then surely that makes my comment stronger...?
On a serious note, love is no more than a strong feeling of trust and respect for someone, and when such respect is attacked by an outsider, you will know then if you are in love.
Reply 15
thats horrible, but then surely that makes my comment stronger...?

I don't understand your comment, Love is a trick created by evolution.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
To be in love is to consider the other person your best friend, your 'soul mate'. You've thought about the future with them, having a family with them. You love them no matter what, you help them with whatever they're going through. While you still have eyes and can obviously see other members of the opposite sex, you only really have eyes for them.

To fall out of love... I don't know. I'm not sure you truly can unless the other person has done something wicked to deserve it, i.e, cheating, been physically abusive. Everyone has moments in the relationship where they have doubts. You might doubt your love at those points, but I don't think you can fall out of love with someone as quickly as flicking a switch for example. I was in a relationship where he told me he had fallen out of love with me, but a few months later he said he never had and was just having a freak out because we had been together for 2 years. He begged me to take him back, and even though I'm still in love with him to this day, I just can't mend that hurt. It sounds silly, I know, but there's a window after someone tells you something like that that you might be able to go back, but it was months of no contact, and I had effectively grieved.

Everyone's experiences are going to be different, that is just mine.
Reply 17
To be in love- Its like the world just lights up. There is suddenly happiness in pretty much everything. The adrenaline rush, the excitement, the flowers, the heart emojis.. everything just seems so perfect.
To be out of love- You either realize that you will never be good enough for some people or that some people will never be good enough for you.
Love, to me, is putting some one else's happiness before your own. The act of falling out of love seems to be more complex because it can depend upon so many different things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending