The Student Room Group

Motorists, what is your opinion of cyclers?

Cycling seems to be getting more popular than paying to move, paying to stop, and paying even more because you went too fast. And then paying again to keep the plods happy before you even get in your car.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Indifference mainly. From my experience there are roughly the same number of total effing idiots behind the wheel as there are behind the handlebars, so it's simply a case of always assuming the other person is about to do something incredibly dumb no matter what vehicle they happen to use.
I have no problem with cyclists, and I have a full understanding of the highway code regarding them, too.

A lot of people have problems with Cyclists, but merely because they're thick and do not understand what Cyclists should do, to keep themselves safe. Drivers really need to read up on the highway code re: cyclists.
Reply 3
Thats true. Even Clarkson has got himself a push bike!

[video="youtube;pU0_Lc-8mvg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU0_Lc-8mvg[/video]
absolutely no problem, because I drive on country roads a lot however I do encounter quite a few jerks that purposely ride in the middle of the road or if in a small group of 2-5 instead of changing to a line formation at the edge of the road will bunch up and block it on purpose especially if cars are coming the opposite way so you cant overtake.
Original post by PinkAcid
absolutely no problem, because I drive on country roads a lot however I do encounter quite a few jerks that purposely ride in the middle of the road or if in a small group of 2-5 instead of changing to a line formation at the edge of the road will bunch up and block it on purpose especially if cars are coming the opposite way so you cant overtake.

Has it ever occurred to you that they're riding in the middle (Primary Position) so that you cant overtake as it would be dangerous to do so in said situation? Why would you be looking to overtake if cars are coming past on the oncoming lane anyway?

Even if they did move over to the left, you still wouldn't be able to safely overtake, especially in a country lane.

Original post by PinkAcid
or if in a small group of 2-5 instead of changing to a line formation at the edge of the road will bunch up and block it on purpose especially if cars are coming the opposite way so you cant overtake.

In reality riding in pairs of 2 is actually safer for the cyclists, as it means you have to fully go on the other lane to overtake, and thus means you have to take into consideration timing a lot more, as you're fully dedicating to the oncoming lane. Also means that although you're going further out to overtake, you're not actually on the wrong side of the road for as long as you would be if they were all in a single line.
(edited 7 years ago)
When they're sensible, and don't think they have the right to do what they want on the road, I don't mind them!

It's when you see the arrogant ones (and yes, they do exist!) who think it's ok to cycle side by side blocking the entire road, or enjoy swerving about, going up and down off pavements, generally being a nuisance that they piss me off. Been very tempted to knock some off whilst driving past, but haven't quite done it yet!
Reply 7
Original post by mobbsy91
When they're sensible, and don't think they have the right to do what they want on the road, I don't mind them!

It's when you see the arrogant ones (and yes, they do exist!) who think it's ok to cycle side by side blocking the entire road, or enjoy swerving about, going up and down off pavements, generally being a nuisance that they piss me off. Been very tempted to knock some off whilst driving past, but haven't quite done it yet!

Is it really worth the suspended 5 minute sentence and £25 fine for the sake of killing an irritating arse on 2 skinny wheels? Hell no.
Original post by Laomedeia
Is it really worth the suspended 5 minute sentence and £25 fine for the sake of killing an irritating arse on 2 skinny wheels? Hell no.

Well, it might be haha!
Reply 9
Uninsured rolling roadblocks.
Not got a problem with them. They've as much right to the roads as the rest of us. It can be a little frustrating because where I live it's mostly country paths and blind corners quite often I'll be unable to overtake for 5 or 10 minutes, but to be honest with you, they probably aren't going much slower than I would be driving anyway on those parts.
Reply 11
they can all go do one, some are okay, but when your on a blind hill going 5 mph holding me up, your getting the horn, most of them are arrogant nobs thinking they own the road
they are cheapskates who can't pay up and get a car
Reply 14

uhuh...
SOME drivers are crap. ALL cyclists are tossers.
Original post by JC.
uhuh...
SOME drivers are crap. ALL cyclists are tossers.

Fair enough. I would be happy to get off my bike and add to the congestion you are sat in.
Reply 16
Original post by ByEeek
Fair enough. I would be happy to get off my bike and add to the congestion you are sat in.

I live in Derbyshire...
What is "congestion"?
Reply 17
I went out for a spin yesterday morning and someone had decided to run a bicycle road race on the major A-roads.

Not only were they doing the usual riding two- or three-abreast thing, they were moving into the opposite lane when there was no oncoming traffic, making it virtually impossible to pass.

One thing I've wondered, does the lycra make them angry people, or do they wear lycra because they are angry?
Cyclist are only an issue when they drive in the middle of the road.
It's more my car that makes being behind a cyclist an annoyance than them.
Dropping to a safe speed in a 16 year old micra means it takes me 500 years just to get enough speed to overtake them when it is safe to do so.

I had a young kid today riding a scooter (not the bike, an actual metal scooter) in the centre of the lane in front of me.
I guess that's the new way to ensure a road accident. :colonhash:
Original post by the bear
they are cheapskates who can't pay up and get a car

The majority of cyclists own cars too.
Besides, most of the proper cyclists have bikes that are worth more than your average first car £1k 1.0L shitbox.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest