The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

No, gender is a case of how you perceive yourself rather than biological sex
Original post by Blondie987

If that were the case then no biggie but it's the point they identify as a different sex and call it gender

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blondie987

and mental disorders don't affect perceptions?
I think that linking it to mental disorders is invalidating, and harmful to trans people. Being transgender is just something we need to accept without saying "oh it's just a mental health problem", as if they can recover from it.
Original post by monk1324
I think that it is. Am I bigoted or realistic?
inb4 so you think homosexuality is a mental disorder?
Homosexuality is not even similar to transsexuality.

I hate how T is added to LGB. T is changing the gender!

It's very odd, but I do not hate those who do it. Live & let live

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MuscleMuseum
Douchebag

Ok then.
Original post by lostintrnslation
I think that linking it to mental disorders is invalidating, and harmful to trans people. Being transgender is just something we need to accept without saying "oh it's just a mental health problem", as if they can recover from it.

Sorry but something being labelled a mental health problem isn't a pejorative term and therefore not harmful.

I have a mental health condition and so will 25% of the population in any given year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
Yes it is a disorder and is sinful. Same goes for homosexuality. But all sins are forgiven through faith in Jesus Christ.

Evidence for the existence of God?
No. Gender dysphoria is.
Reply 30
Original post by ivybridge
No. Gender dysphoria is.

No one cares about arguing semantics.
Another thing to point out is the fact that there are only 2 genders.

Its not semantics though. Gender dysphoria is a mental condition whereas transgender is a gender identity
Almost definitely, yes. I hate this 'trans acceptance' culture, I genuinely feel sorry for them, and no ones giving them any help.

I was watching a video on it earlier, and one of the things this guy talking touches is on is the fact that many upon many people that have had trans surgery, decided they want to go back to their original gender again. And a lot usually end up committing suicide. And it's the truth. Allegedly some people in London tracked children with transgender thoughts/feelings, and around 80% of them lost the thought.

And I hate the word 'transphobic' - I, nor anyone else who has my opinion doesn't hate them, (nor is it a 'phobia' as the name suggests.. who's scared of transgender people??) I genuinely worry about them and want them to live normal lives. That word has made people scared of speaking their minds, what a lot think but only a few say. If you want to kill someone on the other hand, for being transgender - then yes, you are transphobic.

(Another thing the video spoke of was this website: http://www.sexchangeregret.com/ I highly suggest you check it out)
Evidence for the existence of God?

I have faith in Jesus Christ being God.
(edited 7 years ago)

Well yes they do - that is what this entire issue is concerned with.

Original post by Trapz99
I have faith in Jesus Christ being God.

AKA, "I have none". Argument over - you lost.
Well yes they do - that is what this entire issue is concerned with.

AKA, "I have none". Argument over - you lost.

What argument? I was stating my personal opinions and beliefs. I believe in God and I believe that homosexuality/transexuality is wrong. Those are my opinions. I was not arguing here at all. I was merely stating my beliefs. I didn't 'lose' or win because I never aimed to convince you anyway.
Original post by Trapz99
What argument? I was stating my personal opinions and beliefs. I believe in God and I believe that homosexuality/transexuality is wrong. Those are my opinions. I was not arguing here at all. I was merely stating my beliefs. I didn't 'lose' or win because I never aimed to convince you anyway.

You lost because you didn't answer the question. You have no evidence of God's existence.

"Love thy neighbour" - just saying.

Oh and also, there's gay stories in the Bible - lmao.
Original post by AlteredBoy
Its not semantics though. Gender dysphoria is a mental condition whereas transgender is a gender identity

the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex - gender dysphoria

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
This is the point where you say sex and gender are different......

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending