The Student Room Group

Further Maths AS level

Hi there.

I am currently just an AS Level MATHS student, however, because of my excelling in my mocks, my teacher has approached me and offered to let me take an AS in Further Maths next year with FP2 and DE and M3.

I was wondering if I could take this, as I hear normally FP1 is compulsory?
What is excelling grade wise? Not trying to bash on you just curious :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by TobyReichelt
Hi there.

I am currently just an AS Level MATHS student, however, because of my excelling in my mocks, my teacher has approached me and offered to let me take an AS in Further Maths next year with FP2 and DE and M3.

I was wondering if I could take this, as I hear normally FP1 is compulsory?

FP1 is compulsory, yes.
Original post by Bernie2016
What is excelling grade wise? Not trying to bash on you just curious :smile:.

69/72 in C1, 71/72 in C2, 67/72 in M1.
Reply 4
I don't like maths
Reply 5
I'm doing further maths AS and I've found it no harder than normal maths. In fact two of the modules, Decision 1 and FP1, I find as easy as C1. I'm getting 72+ in past papers for all the modules except S1
Reply 6
Something to think about is if it is worth your time, do you need another AS level? If you are applying for maths at university I know it will be useful but maybe not other subjects.
Also: We're on MEI, if that makes a difference.

I'm looking to apply for Maths or Maths and Physics at uni.
Reply 8

Ok cool, have a look on the websites of some of the unis you are interested in and see if they want it. Some will give you a better offer if you have AS further maths, not sure how many though.

Tbh if you want to do any variation of maths or physics at uni it's a bit of a no brainer in all honesty. It's an opportunity to gain skills you are 100% going to need at uni. Yes in the majority of cases (even among those courses requiring full FM) the required content will be gone over (although probably at a very rapid pace) it is never a bad thing to have the skills already, especially when it comes to differential equations complex numbers etc which are such a fundamental part of either degree.

Quick Reply

Latest