The Student Room Group

Tory MP's vote AGAINST allowing 3000 refugee children into the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toblerone eater

This is a terrible argument.

What you are saying comes down to: unless we can solve all of the world's problems, we shouldn't even attempt to partially solve any of the world's problems.

3000 children fleeing war and all manner of severe distress/trauma given a better life is 3000 children whose lives we have helped. Maybe this doesn't mean anything to you, but that doesn't degrade the argument that where we can help especially vulnerable people, we should.

This is basically a lottery. What about the children not included in the 3,000? What about children elsewhere in the world who would benefit from asylum?

It sounds like help for help's sake - 3,000 is an arbitrary number. It may make some people sleep better at night to know 3,000 children have been resettled in the UK, but it doesn't at all resolve this migrant crisis or the issue of children across the world who require help and support.
Reply 81
Original post by Josb
...but will be less likely to become thugs.

Children raised without the father around are more likely to become thugs
Original post by Grand High Witch
This is an act of kindness - it might stop children's families paying people traffickers to help them make dangerous crossings into Europe.

If you support it, you are basically giving a green light to families paying people traffickers to get their children into Europe in the hope that, on being granted asylum, the rest of the family will be able to join.

As far as know, a refugee child has no right to sponsor their family to move to the UK. So that is wrong.
Original post by joecphillips
Except people are starving on the streets.

Really? How many people starved to death last year in the UK?
Reply 84
Original post by DorianGrayism
Really? How many people starved to death last year in the UK?

I don't know the number but are you saying that people don't starve to death is completely wrong.
As far as know, a refugee child has no right to sponsor their family to move to the UK. So that is wrong.

Source?

Even if what you're saying is true, the family probably won't know British law and will go on what they have heard in the press/word of mouth.
I didn't say they were equivalent.

I said the refusal to provide refuge to Jews led to millions being murdered when at least some more lives could have been saved.

So we should have taken on all the Jews in Europe despite that being about 20pc of the population of the UK. Further, the two situations are not comparable, the children being refused are those in Europe, not in the middle East; those that are hundreds or thousands of miles away from the cause of their displacement, not about to be put on a train to go do hard labour and be killed.

That is exactly what it does.

"Our affairs are not in order" is just an appeal to emotion. You have not had one fact so far to support it so I have no reason to believe it .

So you're saying that having public services failing the population and homeless people on the street is actually a perfectly good thing and we should do nothing to improve said services and reduce homelessness?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AliRizzo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36134837

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/25/tories-vote-against-accepting-3000-child-refugees

Was surprised not to see this thread already, although I may have missed it, it seems the Tory powers that be on here have nothing to say.

Unbelievable inhumanity.
Original post by Jammy Duel
So we should have taken on all the Jews in Europe despite that being about 20pc of the population of the UK. Further, the two situations are not comparable, the children being refused are those in Europe, not in the middle East; those that are hundreds or thousands of miles away from the cause of their displacement, not about to be put on a train to go do hard labour and be killed.

So you're saying that having public services failing the population and homeless people on the street is actually a perfectly good thing and we should do nothing to improve said services and reduce homelessness?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's plenty of jobs around.
Original post by Vinny1900
There's plenty of jobs around.

Right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they're not filled. There's a shortage of curry chefs. English people like to eat curry, and there's not enough chefs for the market demand.
Yes, they're not filled. There's a shortage of curry chefs. English people like to eat curry, and there's not enough chefs for the market demand.

So you're saying that we should employ children who probably don't even know how to cook a curry as curry chefs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
So you're saying that we should employ children who probably don't even know how to cook a curry as curry chefs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was answering your doubt about there being a lack of jobs, read back on the comment trail.
Many Syrians are University educated.
I was answering your doubt about there being a lack of jobs, read back on the comment trail.

There's an unemployment rate that still appears to be a fair bit above the natural rate given the structure of the jobs that exist; there are many vacancies but also many more unemployed

Many Syrians are University educated.

However doing a quick bit of research their rates are relatively low

Posted from TSR Mobile
hm, well, let's wonder: how many people have portugal taken?
actually, this question is two sided:
1) portugal *will* take immigrants (er I mean refugees, lmao)
2) but these "refugees" don't go there because their welfare state is smaller so they'll get less

I say the UK shouldn't take a single migrant more from the middle east/africa until these poorer states get filled up first
because it is stupid to expect the countries with the biggest welfare states to take the most migrants - **** this - this is beyond belief
if poland isn't going to take any, then why the **** should we? I thought the EU was about uniting countries?
poland's perfectly happy filling up our country with theirs, but when it's a country filling up *their* country then suddenly it's not okay?

**** these useless hypocritical countries, and **** the EU
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BubbleBoobies
hm, well, let's wonder: how many people have portugal taken?
actually, this question is two sided:
1) portugal *will* take immigrants (er I mean refugees, lmao)
2) but these "refugees" don't go there because their welfare state is smaller so they'll get less

I say the UK shouldn't take a single migrant more from the middle east/africa until these poorer states get filled up first
because it is stupid to expect the countries with the biggest welfare states to take the most migrants - **** this - this is beyond belief
if poland isn't going to take any, then why the **** should we? I thought the EU was about uniting countries?
poland's perfectly happy filling up our country with theirs, but when it's a country filling up *their* country then suddenly it's not okay?

**** these useless hypocritical countries, and **** the EU

It's not remotely relevant how many other countries have taken. Everyone else being an ******** isn't justification for us being one.

Why is it stupid to expect the richest countries to bear most of the burden? I think you've got that a bit backwards.
Original post by JordanL_
It's not remotely relevant how many other countries have taken. Everyone else being an ******** isn't justification for us being one.

Why is it stupid to expect the richest countries to bear most of the burden? I think you've got that a bit backwards.

you're saying we *deserve* having burdens because we got richer than the poorer countries? I'm sorry but that's insane. the UK doesn't *deserve* any burden that we didn't cause. you cannot sit here and tell me that the UK should be condemned to take burdens for no reason at all just because we have more money.

this is the thing you don't understand: refugees shouldn't come only to rich countries; they should go to the poorer countries first, if they really are "refugees" who only care about surviving, not about a ****ing welfare state.

if they are real refugeees, they *should* go to eastern europe first and stay there. when those countries get filled, then MAYBE we should take in actual refugees, but right now, you are doing nothing but convincing me that these are ECONOMIC MIGRANTS. if poland is willing to play realpolitik then we have ever ****ing right to do so as well. this money is our money and money is not a bad thing or a burden-attractor. **** that.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
you're saying we *deserve* having burdens because we got richer than the poorer countries? I'm sorry but that's insane. the UK doesn't *deserve* any burden that we didn't cause. you cannot sit here and tell me that the UK should be condemned to take burdens for no reason at all just because we have more money.

this is the thing you don't understand: refugees shouldn't come only to rich countries; they should go to the poorer countries first, if they really are "refugees" who only care about surviving, not about a ****ing welfare state.

if they are real refugeees, they *should* go to eastern europe first and stay there. when those countries get filled, then MAYBE we should take in actual refugees, but right now, you are doing nothing but convincing me that these are ECONOMIC MIGRANTS. if poland is willing to play realpolitik then we have ever ****ing right to do so as well. this money is our money and money is not a bad thing or a burden-attractor. **** that.

Well unfortunately, the UK (and allies) did cause it by destabilising the Middle-East.

That aside, do you also believe that richer people shouldn't pay more tax than poorer people?
Original post by JordanL_
Well unfortunately, the UK (and allies) did cause it by destabilising the Middle-East.

That aside, do you also believe that richer people shouldn't pay more tax than poorer people?

no, syria =/= the middle east.
syria was destabilised by the civil war, and the civil war occurred via the arab spring trend and the fact that syrian people resented assad's tyranny.
the UK had *nothing* to do with the syrian civil war beginning. the civil war is why "refugees" (and, again, most of these people are not only non-syrian but economic migrants from all over the middle east and africa) are coming - because assad simply wasn't going to give up. so it's assad's fault, or the free syrian army's fault

and I think everybody should pay the same % of tax - in that sense, richer people will STILL pay more. e.g. 20% of £10,000 = £2000. 20% of £1,000,000 = £200,000. this is WITHIN a state and concerning citizens. your issue concerns the difference between citizens and non-citizens. this concerns the nature of a state; if there was no % but a raw amount of cash to be the tax, then there would be no point in taxes at all when everybody could pay for their own services/laws via anarchy. europe is not a state. europe is a collection of states. you can't say "some european countries are poor therefore they should pay less" - that assumes we're one single country. we're not. we have no obligation to do anything more than any other nation regardless of money, because we had no hand in starting the syrian civil war. and do you think I even supported the syrian civil war? no. I don't support any interventions in the middle east at all.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending