The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to cook for myself?

Basically, today I've pissed off my stepfather due to cooking and I want to see if I am really in the wrong.

I am 18, I live at home and today I decided to cook some food for myself (this was from about 4pm, I finished cooking at around 7pm and a few minutes after I came my stepfather came home and saw and was angry that I only cooked for myself and said I was selfish etc.

I have cooked for my entire family before, twice this week already but today I decided to make something for myself, it was just meant to be a smallish 'lunch' food that ended up taking a while longer.

I was basically told, to only cook for myself and if he cooks food for the family, I can't have any of it and then he bought up times I've cooked for myself before like when I have made myself pancakes. I didn't really think this was a big thing that I should cook for the family.

Am I being unreasonable to have made some ribs for only myself? I also bought the meat and ingredients myself.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dinasaurus
Basically, today I've pissed off my stepfather due to cooking and I want to see if I am really in the wrong.

I am 18, I live at home and today I decided to cook some food for myself (this was from about 4pm, I finished cooking at around 7pm and a few minutes after I came my stepfather came home and saw and was angry that I only cooked for myself and said I was selfish etc.

I have cooked for my entire family before, twice this week already but today I decided to make something for myself, it was just meant to be a smallish 'lunch' food that ended up taking a while longer.

I was basically told, to only cook for myself and if he cooks food for the family, I can't have any of it and then he bought up times I've cooked for myself before like when I have made myself pancakes. I didn't really think this was a big thing that I should cook for the family.

Am I being unreasonable to have made some ribs for only myself? I also bought the meat and ingredients myself.

Maybe he had a bad day.

Not unreasonable at all.
I see nothing wrong with it :dontknow:
Reply 4
If you are just cooking for yourself as a kinda snack then that's fine, but if you are cooking to deliberately make him mad then that's kinda a dick move on your part
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Not unreasonable at all.

He flipped out at me over this food issue and said I was ****ing selfish and that I don't care about my mother and then switched his tone to say "do what you think is right, if you think this is the right way to live then do it" trying to guilt me but I honestly didn't think it was a big issue, I made some ribs and kimchi pancakes. My family don't even eat kimchi
He flipped out at me over this food issue and said I was ****ing selfish and that I don't care about my mother and then switched his tone to say "do what you think is right, if you think this is the right way to live then do it" trying to guilt me but I honestly didn't think it was a big issue, I made some ribs and kimchi pancakes. My family don't even eat kimchi

I would ignore him :smile:
Reply 7
Yea it was wrong. Snacks or lunch would of been ok but cooking an evening meal just for yourself when others are around is bad manners unless they arranged something else.
Reply 8
Original post by GUMI
If you are just cooking for yourself as a kinda snack then that's fine, but if you are cooking to deliberately make him mad then that's kinda a dick move on your part

I didn't cook to make him mad, he wasn't even at home as I started cooking 3 hours before he even got back. This is the first thing I've eaten today other than a snickers bar so I thought it's a bit of a big meal but it's not like I'm using the household's resources to make it, seeing as I went out to buy meat before I got home.
Reply 9
Woah i do this all the time.. Mostly because in my family we all eat at different times..
I never knew it could anger someone D:
Original post by INTit
Yea it was wrong. Snacks or lunch would of been ok but cooking an evening meal just for yourself when others are around is bad manners unless they arranged something else.

But I was in class at lunch time and I hadn't eaten all day, I started cooking when I got home and he wasn't even in, just when I ended up finishing and plating my food, he walks in the door and sees and complains.

I even left a piece of meat I cooked for someone to take, I didn't buy enough meat to cook for the entire family.

Not unreasonable at all, in my family we tend to do this a lot purely because of school/work and everyone likes different foods.
No it's not wrong, I cook for myself (badly).

Today I have family over and everyone is going to eat pizza, I don't want pizza so I'm going to make myself something else, that isn't wrong or selfish.

I'd be pissed too if it took you 3 hours to make ribs.

Unless you slaughtered whatever it was you were getting ribs from in the process. Then you'd get mad props.
Original post by Rhythmical
Not unreasonable at all, in my family we tend to do this a lot purely because of school/work and everyone likes different foods.

I assumed he'd see it that way but no, generally if I make something that I know everyone eats I always leave it for everyone to have.

But today I was trying out some different foods that normally my family don't eat and they weren't even home when I started cooking but it seems I'm terrible for it.
No, but knowing how he is, then you should have predicted his mean spirited reaction and done a few more or cooked faster so he never found out. He just seems grouchy.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'd be pissed too if it took you 3 hours to make ribs.

Unless you slaughtered whatever it was you were getting ribs from in the process. Then you'd get mad props.

I marinated it which took the majority of the time, I also made the marinade. Then I slow cooked it at low heat for an hour.
Original post by 999tigger
No, but knowing how he is, then you should have predicted his mean spirited reaction and done a few more or cooked faster so he never found out. He just seems grouchy.

If he had walked in the door 5 minutes later, I could've been done, without any hassle. I even cleaned up afterwards so it's not like anyone would even notice.
If he had walked in the door 5 minutes later, I could've been done, without any hassle. I even cleaned up afterwards so it's not like anyone would even notice.

You did nothing wrong, forget him!
I assumed he'd see it that way but no, generally if I make something that I know everyone eats I always leave it for everyone to have.

But today I was trying out some different foods that normally my family don't eat and they weren't even home when I started cooking but it seems I'm terrible for it.

Aw don't feel terrible about it. It's not the end of the world and not your fault. Your intentions were honest and you didn't mean to try and offend him. If anything, given your age, he should expect you to cook for yourself and learn skills for later on in life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending