The Student Room Group

Tory MP's vote AGAINST allowing 3000 refugee children into the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Vinny1900
Many Syrians are University educated.

Universities in Syria are not of the same standard as in the West.
Reply 101
Original post by JordanL_
It's not remotely relevant how many other countries have taken. Everyone else being an ******** isn't justification for us being one.

Why is it stupid to expect the richest countries to bear most of the burden? I think you've got that a bit backwards.

At least you're acknowledging that refugees are a burden. Some people said that these hordes of engineers and doctors were going to benefit our economy.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
no, syria =/= the middle east.
syria was destabilised by the civil war, and the civil war occurred via the arab spring trend and the fact that syrian people resented assad's tyranny.
the UK had *nothing* to do with the syrian civil war beginning. the civil war is why "refugees" (and, again, most of these people are not only non-syrian but economic migrants from all over the middle east and africa) are coming - because assad simply wasn't going to give up. so it's assad's fault, or the free syrian army's fault

and I think everybody should pay the same % of tax - in that sense, richer people will STILL pay more. e.g. 20% of £10,000 = £2000. 20% of £1,000,000 = £200,000. this is WITHIN a state and concerning citizens. your issue concerns the difference between citizens and non-citizens. europe is not a state. europe is a collection of states. you can't say "some european countries are poor therefore they should pay less" - that assumes we're one single country. we're not. we have no obligation to do anything more than any other nation regardless of money, because we had no hand in starting the syrian civil war. and do you think I even supported the syrian civil war? no. I don't support any interventions in the middle east at all.

ISIS is present in Syria, and ISIS is as powerful as it is largely due to the destabilisation of the ME. We are partly responsible.

You believe that people should pay tax proportional to their income. I believe countries should take refugees proportional to their income. It's exactly the same.

What makes a non-citizen worth less than a citizen? Why is someone sleeping on the streets in Britain a tragedy and a problem that we need to solve, but people in other countries going through things too awful for either of us could even comprehend should be left to get on with it? I don't think a British life is worth more than any other, and people in Syria are suffering far more than anyone in the UK.
ISIS is present in Syria, and ISIS is as powerful as it is largely due to the destabilisation of the ME. We are partly responsible.

Explain how. Please explain precisely Western causes of the civil war in Syria and and the rise of ISIS.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Explain how. Please explain precisely Western causes of the civil war in Syria and and the rise of ISIS.

Have a read. The West armed the Syrian opposition. They also invaded Iraq. It's really not that difficult to understand how illegally invading a country might cause just a little bit of hatred toward the invaders, but people would far rather pretend it's a problem with Islam than accept responsibility.
Many Syrians are University educated.

I think just looking at the student room alone it's got to the point where being 'university educated' means **** all.2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
So we should have taken on all the Jews in Europe despite that being about 20pc of the population of the UK. Further, the two situations are not comparable, the children being refused are those in Europe, not in the middle East; those that are hundreds or thousands of miles away from the cause of their displacement, not about to be put on a train to go do hard labour and be killed.

No. We should have taken more than 10,000 at the start of the war. That doesn't mean we take in all of them.

In the same sense, taking 3000 refugee children is a small number but it is better than nothing.

So you're saying that having public services failing the population and homeless people on the street is actually a perfectly good thing and we should do nothing to improve said services and reduce homelessness?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did I say to do nothing?
Original post by Moonstruck16
I think just looking at the student room alone it's got to the point where being 'university educated' means **** all.2

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you arrive @ that conclusion.

we didn't create ISIS.
and funny, syria was so stable until that civil war happened, which didn't begin with ISIS at all.

You believe that people should pay tax proportional to their income. I believe countries should take refugees proportional to their income. It's exactly the same.

...but countries aren't citizens. countries aren't a part of a world government. also, you said these refugees were "burdens" - taxes aren't burdens in that they result in government services :|

What makes a non-citizen worth less than a citizen? Why is someone sleeping on the streets in Britain a tragedy and a problem that we need to solve, but people in other countries going through things too awful for either of us could even comprehend should be left to get on with it? I don't think a British life is worth more than any other, and people in Syria are suffering far more than anyone in the UK.

because they don't contribute to the finances that fund the state.
someone sleeping on the streets in the UK isn't necessarily a tragedy - it depends how they got there - for example, they might deserve it by being useless and unproductive. some people like this *do* exist, and it's no wonder where they end up.
and yeah, and it's not our fault that they're there, just like homeless people in the UK - the UK state doesn't do anything for homeless people though.
british life >>>> middle eastern life. yes. because we pay our taxes and we've been paying for a while. if they want to come here, they should give us a financial incentive, e.g. productivity.
suffering isn't part of this equation, or else we should take in every north korean individual alive right now.

this internationalism of yours isn't *grounded* in anything, it's just pure subjective emotion
(edited 7 years ago)
Just because somebody went to university does not give them an advantage in things like this. You need to be more specific.

Even you can't be completely oblivious to the argument that too many people in this country are going to university, studying 'mickey mouse degrees', or going getting abysmal marks and not caring just because they know they'll get a degree at the end, even if they know they aren't going to use it.

Anyway, a refugee who is a university graduate shouldn't have an immediate advantage over an other because they may not necessarily be the bigger benefit to society.
Just because somebody went to university does not give them an advantage in things like this. You need to be more specific.

Even you can't be completely oblivious to the argument that too many people in this country are going to university, studying 'mickey mouse degrees', or going getting abysmal marks and not caring just because they know they'll get a degree at the end, even if they know they aren't going to use it.

Anyway, a refugee who is a university graduate shouldn't have an immediate advantage over an other because they may not necessarily be the bigger benefit to society.

How did you arrive @ that conclusion.

WHAT
WHAT

Sorry I wrote a post in reply to yours but didn't actually reply to you so quoted you in,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism
No. We should have taken more than 10,000 at the start of the war. That doesn't mean we take in all of them.

In the same sense, taking 3000 refugee children is a small number but it is better than nothing.

Where did I say to do nothing?

We are taking more than 10,000... And if there are no domestic issues then the logical conclusion is that those things are not actually problems, so do we have domestic issues to deal with, or are those things not problems?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We are taking more than 10,000... And if there are no domestic issues then the logical conclusion is that those things are not actually problems, so do we have domestic issues to deal with, or are those things not problems?

When did I say that 10,000 needed to be taken in?

I am talking about the 3000 children.

I didn't say there were no domestic issues. So you are just making things up as you are going along.

I said those domestic issues are not significant enough to deny 3000 children refugee status.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
pure subjective emotion

as opposed to objective emotion.
Original post by DorianGrayism
When did I say that 10,000 needed to be taken in?

I am talking about the 3000 children.

I didn't say there were no domestic issues. So you are just making things up as you are going along.

I said those domestic issues are not significant enough to deny 3000 children refugee status.

This is a political stunt. It has nothing to do with compassion for refugees. If the government had said "yes", the opposition would have demanded 6,000. There is no winning position for government here; so do nothing, shut up and let Labour talk themselves out on the matter.
We have our own homeless veterans here that have been left out to hang and dry by the state. Why should some immigrant kids whose whole belief system is alien to ours be given a residence funded by the tax payer when someone who protected our great country is forced to swallow their pride and sit begging outside a train station. It's an insult and a slap in the face. Countrymen= our problem, Syrians= not our problem. In addition to this you will find that hordes of the "children's" families start to follow them here, like their uncles, aunts cousins, third cousins once removed etc.......I have seen a family of about 15 of them at a football game and cluttering up public transport, they were loud, rude and totally unfamiliar with our ways of life
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh my god people voted against letting migrants in !!!!!!!!
How terrible ... Must make a pointless thread about it
Good decision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending