The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HouseOfRichman
I think the key thing here was to look at the fact it stated "good" in the extract, a subtle hint that it's an advantage. I completely understand what you mean about the disadvantages though! I think the question is worded very weirdly, asking about self-building houses when I think it really meant building houses in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure haha. My teacher said it was a brutal paper lool. Could you please tell me how you got 47/50 in the mock?? That's amazing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsiyaAden9879
I mean don't say anything that's not in the extract only say what you can infer from the extract. Like if someone says they hate ice cream, you can't also say they hate chocolate as well because it's not in the extract. But you can develop as to why they hate ice cream. I'm sorry if you don't understand, It's quite a hard concept to grasp.
I understand now, thank you!
Original post by DamnDaniel2
So if I don't get an A in some of the components but overall my mark hits the grade boundaries for an A* I can't get an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what my English teacher said and what I've always been told by my school but feel free to check with someone else about it. You can also email CIE to ask them, they're very helpful! It definitely states that it can't be awarded in an individual component which makes me think my teacher is right but I completely understand what you mean about the marks meeting the A* boundary...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure haha. My teacher said it was a brutal paper lool. Could you please tell me how you got 47/50 in the mock?? That's amazing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! It was moderated down to 46/50 but I forgot aha. I really like writing and reading so I guess I've just picked up a knack for doing it? My teachers are really helpful also! I got 17/20 on Q1 because I didn't have as many points for the last bullet point (having 7+ points for each bullet point of the question is key!), 9/10 on Q2 through using QME (using the Quote, explaining the dictionary Meaning in context and the Effect on the reader), then in Q3 I got 20/20 through sheer luck (ensuring my points are strong, clear points and if they aren't or there are similar points combining them) and then ensuring my summary wasn't more than a 1.5 pages long! Also by using complex language and lots of imagery throughout!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need 39 for an A*. I was initially very confident, but in my last mock I got 39 exactly:biggrin: This bank holiday weekend I will be practicing a few papers, to ensure I secure the A*. I got 45/50 in my coursework, and 28/30 for speaking and listening.
Last weekend before the exam!!! Make sure you do lots of past papers and know what the examiners want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any tips for peeps that don't have a very wide vocabulary and suck at spelling. Good luck on the english exam next Tuesday btw :smile: . Ty
Original post by kennethdcharles
I need 39 for an A*. I was initially very confident, but in my last mock I got 39 exactly:biggrin: This bank holiday weekend I will be practicing a few papers, to ensure I secure the A*. I got 45/50 in my coursework, and 28/30 for speaking and listening.

How do you need 39 marks? The grade boundary for an was 32 for an A in 2015 so it should only go up to roughly 35 for an A this year. Also, if I am incorrect about the 3As = A* system then you would only need around 19 marks in the exam in order to reach the 92 grade boundary for an A* they had last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last weekend before the exam!!! Make sure you do lots of past papers and know what the examiners want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning to do one a day, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning to do one a day, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im probs going to do 2 a day and work on how to answer each question lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im probs going to do 2 a day and work on how to answer each question lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I was planning alongside it :smile: running out of papers to do that's all! If anyone has anything others than those available on the website could you PM me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I was planning alongside it :smile: running out of papers to do that's all! If anyone has anything others than those available on the website could you PM me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school did a mock exam in the exam hall in our exact places where we would being siting on tuesday di ur skl do something similar ?
Original post by Waveyalex
My school did a mock exam in the exam hall in our exact places where we would being siting on tuesday di ur skl do something similar ?

The last time my school did that was last year.

Only had 1 proper mock in the past two years RIP me :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
good luck everyone:afro:
Original post by TSlayerr
The last time my school did that was last year.

Only had 1 proper mock in the past two years RIP me :frown:

Ive had a maths mock every friday since like february lool and two english mocks over the last 2 weeks all in the hall loool the hall is pretty much my second home,how much prep u done for tuesday ?
Original post by TheYearNiner
good luck everyone:afro:

Good Luck to you :smile:

Remember (my teacher says every 5 seconds) BE CONCISE! :tongue:
Ive had a maths mock every friday since like february lool and two english mocks over the last 2 weeks all in the hall loool the hall is pretty much my second home,how much prep u done for tuesday ?

I know I've done much more than my friends cause they're sleeping for the past few english lessons. For some reason, my english teacher doesn't care XD

I've been looking through the specification and examiner reports
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSlayerr
I know I've done much more than my friends cause they're sleeping for the past few english lessons. For some reason, my english teacher doesn't care XD

I've been looking through the specification and examiner reports

Whats your coursework grades like ?
Reply 218
Sorry, guys i became very ill so had to stay in bed for a few days unfortunately. Thankfully, i feel a bit better today and i have managed to write a guide on each question. Feel free to read it. I wanted to write model answers but what paper should i do them for? I am thinking of last years paper. Thoughts?
Whats your coursework grades like ?

My teacher's refused to give me any info. :frown: I have no idea what grade I'm going to get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending