The Student Room Group

mean things you were told when you decided you wanted to go to uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I was told I had no chance of an Oxbridge offer due to my GCSEs and that my aspirations for the uni (and/or Medicine) were delusional.

The career's adviser said similar things :angry: when I asked about resitting my A-levels. I plan to send her a smug passive aggressive email if I meet my offer.

Resit individual units from as levels or repeat the year?
Reply 81
Original post by lightwoXd
After a full round of rejections first time round, my mum was pretty much adamant that I wouldn't get into med school this year either - even saying to my face that she couldn't see me being a doctor anyway. Used to do a lot of not-so-subtle talking with my sister behind my back about it as well.

3 offers later, she's gone surprisingly quiet.

Spoiler

So, is this your second year round applying for uni?
Reply 82
Was told by my maths ALevel teacher that I wouldn't pass and that I wasted an A Level because I got a U on my mock... Well, I actually came out with an A without revision. :u:

Didn't take it on for A2, but still got that A :tongue: and I photocopied my certificate and gave it to him! :biggrin:
Original post by Student403
Just send her a "hi how are things" email from your @cam.ac.uk email XD That would be bantz

lol
Hoping to apply next year for genetics, but the amount of people who say "didn't you get a U in your bio mock??? All you talk about is German you're more enthusiastic about that just do German" lmao imagine if I walked into school and just spoke to everyone about genetics and codes etc i'd be litttttttttttttttt
Reply 85
"You want to pursue higher education, wth is wrong with you man"
"I couldn't afford my mortgage because of you!"

It was mean because it was a lie.
She couldn't afford from day 1.
You're abandoning me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JGang
So, is this your second year round applying for uni?

It is indeed.
After a full round of rejections first time round, my mum was pretty much adamant that I wouldn't get into med school this year either - even saying to my face that she couldn't see me being a doctor anyway. Used to do a lot of not-so-subtle talking with my sister behind my back about it as well.

3 offers later, she's gone surprisingly quiet.

Spoiler

What are your plans if you don't get the A in chemistry?
Original post by Sacred Ground
What are your plans if you don't get the A in chemistry?

I've got an unconditional from Bristol for pharmacology, so that's an option. I'm pretty dead set on medicine though, so to be honest I'm not too sure.
Hopefully it's not a bridge I'll have to cross given chem was (ironically) my best subject before exams last year - just a case of revising my arse off and nailing it this time.
I've got an unconditional from Bristol for pharmacology, so that's an option. I'm pretty dead set on medicine though, so to be honest I'm not too sure.
Hopefully it's not a bridge I'll have to cross given chem was (ironically) my best subject before exams last year - just a case of revising my arse off and nailing it this time.

I know the feeling mate, I've firmed Newcastle for medicine. I'm predicted A*AA (Geog, Chem, bio) and I'm confident about Geog and Chem (100% and 93% respectively at AS) however, I got a B in biology. I got A's in the exams but a U in the ISA and I've got a U this year in my ISA's in biology. I just don't do well in biology ISA's haha :/ So if you don't get in (fingers crossed you do) you'll do pharmacology and then GEM?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
My sister was always the clever one growing up. When a science teacher mentioned university to my mum when I was 13 she thought he was joking.

I outperformed my sister in every exam and qualification. My sister is still considered the clever one and still patronises me. :rolleyes:

Go you :hugs:.
Reply 93
When I got an unconditional offer for Oxford in the early 80s, my Gran looked horrified and told me that "Oxford's not for the likes of us!" and my Grandad made up a rude rhyme about me using my college's name. My father also forbade me from going, on the grounds that "There's nothing wrong with being a secretary and you won't learn shorthand in a bloody library!" although he shut up once Mum started bragging about it to their friends.
Reply 94
Original post by 0to100
"I couldn't afford my mortgage because of you!"

It was mean because it was a lie.
She couldn't afford from day 1.

This is familiar. Even back in the days of non-repayable grants, there was still a "Parental Contribution" which reduced the amount of the grant and which your parents were expected to stump up. Every time I phoned home, I got an inventory of all the things that hadn't been able to do or buy because I was off partying with posh people at uni.

The recurring theme was that "We can't afford a family holiday!" Which was a laugh because we'd had four family holidays in the previous twenty years, and my father had hated them so much that he swore he'd never do it again after the last one, which had been five years before I went to uni.

The really galling thing is that their contribution had been calculated at £900 a year by SF and my parents actually gave me £200 a year. Even back then, given the amount my parents earned between them, this really wasn't a huge overhead (Dad was a senior rank in his organisation and Mum essentially worked a good full-time job for pocket money because she didn't pay any bills). They decided that £300 a term was too much, so I should have £200 a term. The first term of each year, they gave me nothing and I funded myself with whatever I'd earned from jobs over the summer. They gave me £200 for the second term (very very grudgingly). The third term's money was whatever they got as a tax refund, by filling in a form where they claimed they were giving me £900 a year. I topped that up with whatever I earned from working through Easter holidays. I wouldn't have minded the budget approach and having to partly support myself - I think that was a useful thing to have done. But what really grates is that I was made to fill so damn guilty for costing them £200 a year. It still gets brought up during family arguments to this day!
Reply 95
My freaking optician told me not to do a subjects that I will need help in. Well, its a bit late to go back now.
"You'll never get a place for Children's Nursing on your first round applying, you'll get rejected...you're too quiet and inexperienced," said everybody ever.

And here I am four offers later, with my firm university being in the top five Nursing schools in the UK and was the University of the Year last year. The reactions I get when I tell people make it worth it :biggrin:
''Are you sure you want to do engineering for univeristy? There's gonna be a lot of guys there and it's a really hard course'' :/
Original post by DrSocSciences
I was once told that I "talked a good game", but didn't deliver. Ouch that really hurt, and it still reverberates. Probably best piece of criticism I ever had, as it made me focus so much more on output. Well done on defying their expectations.

I'm in my second year now and realised THIS IS ME. I believed I was amazing at education so much so that I'm not on track for a good grade at all. Better I realised this now than never.
Not strictly uni but after my first piece of English GCSEs coursework my teacher took me aside and told me that the English department believe I completely plagiarised my work because of my poor performances in years 7,8 and 9, **** them I was a late bloomer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending