The Student Room Group

Too old to be a teacher?

Due to health issues, I won't be graduating uni until I'm 26.

Will the teacher training courses not accept me due to my age?

Is it too old to train as a teacher at 26 years old, and how do I do it?!

Should be getting a 2:1 degree :wink:

Scroll to see replies

nooo... you are old at all... :nah:
you can try to find courses online :h:
You are young gentleman or beaut lady :awesome:
Original post by Voi

Not old at all! In fact many people consider teaching after another career. My teachers started teaching either early or in their forties gaining other degrees and then re training!
Original post by Voi

Ohh my gosh of course you're not old-I know someone who is currently doing their PGCE at 38....so dont worry..
Reply 4
Original post by Voi

What subject are you planning to teach?
Reply 5
I'll be 37 when I start my PGCE next year, though I have been teaching abroad for over 10 years. My age wasn't even mentioned in either of the two interviews I had and got an offer from both!
Not meaning to be funny but it's a bit tiring to keep reading posts from people in their twenties wondering if they're too old to do a PGCE and I ask myself what about people like me who are in their 30s or 40s and really looking forward to teacher training? Should I start to worry about being one of the oldies on the course? Personally I think you're never too old for something you really want to do, good luck to everyone starting in September xx
I'm starting my PGCE in September this year. I am 35 (36 in September). You must think I'm positively beyond past it then?!

I'm currently working as a qualified graphic designer. I think my age and experience counted for a heck of a lot in getting on my course. I applied, got interviewed and was given a place at interview, all within a week. I don't even have honours.

So no, I don't think age is a problem. Especially when you are only 26.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
If its any insight, there are 13 on our course, i am one of 4 who is under 30.
What!? Perfect age.

There's a lady in my department who's in her 40s and just passed her NQT year, and the 2 current PGCE students are nearing 30.
When I clicked on this thread I expected you to be 40+, not 26!

26 is definitely not too old. I imagine a large proportion of people on your course would be about that age.

When I did my PGCE, I'd say about a third of people were young and straight out of uni (aged 22), another third were in their mid/late 20s and had had a year or two out doing other jobs/gap years/MAs, etc., and another third were career-changers or parents. The oldest person on the course was 50.
Original post by Voi

I've mentored trainees in their 50s and, in one case, 60s. 26 is no age at all.
Hi All,
I'll be 49 when I start in September. After working for nearly 30 years in pharmacy, I'm embracing my inner chemist to start a school direct place for secondary chemistry.
As I'm sure other 'career changers' out there will concur - don't worry about age, but being able to relate your life and work experience to teaching is essential.
On the opposite, schools appreciate teachers who have experience outside of classroom in related fields, so a higher age can be an advantage! I'm 30 and I'm nearing the completion of my PGCE ATM
32 here and I'll be starting my Primary PGCE in September :smile:
I'm 26 and starting school direct in September :smile:
I don't think you are ever too old, if anything the more time between graduation and starting ITT, the more life experience you get - which I think helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm 40 and starting school direct in September too - secondary physics. I would think the older the better really - more worldly wise and hopefully (fingers crossed tightly) easier to control the teenagers than a teacher that is only a few years older than the students themselves.
Reply 16
That's not old at all! You can do it :smile:
I am 28 and starting my School Direct place in September. I have had a whole other career, as I am sure many others have. Do not worry.
Never too old
There is a proverb in my native language which basically means that your day starts the moment you get up. It is so true in our life. Age is no bar for your work if you are motivated enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending