I remember us having one when I was in year 9, they don't do it anymore
Just fire drills now
Original post by Kiniun
I remember us having one when I was in year 9, they don't do it anymore
Just fire drills now

Maybe the area has improved since? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiniun

I do think my grades could be better if the teaching was at a higher standard but I'm more than happy to put in the hard work myself to get the grades I want. I try not to dwell on it too much though. I'm lucky to be having access to an education anyways:smile:

mind telling me how a typical lesson goes down in a state school, ive always been private but once it got to a levels, I feel like 13k a year is a compete waste - teachers don't show up half the time and when they do most of em put notes on the board to copy and tell you to read the book if you dont understand lmao waste of time
I'm basically the same as you OP, poor state school (better sixth form college) and from one of the most deprived towns in the country :hugs:

I'll ask you what I asked the private school person, do you ever feel like your background has skewed your view on society?
Reply 24
Original post by Moonstruck16
Maybe the area has improved since? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! I've definitely seen how it's improved over time but if someone was to come to my area from the outside they'd think it was complete crap :lol:
Reply 25
Original post by maximo17000
mind telling me how a typical lesson goes down in a state school, ive always been private but once it got to a levels, I feel like 13k a year is a compete waste - teachers don't show up half the time and when they do most of em put notes on the board to copy and tell you to read the book if you dont understand lmao waste of time

Oh, sorry to hear that:redface:
My lessons can be pretty interactive sometimes so that's a good thing - it's just some students disrupt the lessons quite a lot. There's been a massive teacher shortage at my school at the moment so for the past 4 months I've had supply teachers for chemistry, citizenship and French :afraid:
Original post by Kiniun
Oh, sorry to hear that:redface:
My lessons can be pretty interactive sometimes so that's a good thing - it's just some students disrupt the lessons quite a lot. There's been a massive teacher shortage at my school at the moment so for the past 4 months I've had supply teachers for chemistry, citizenship and French :afraid:

i was right then lol, if i knew this when i was 3, i could have a nice new lambo by now :frown:
Reply 27
Original post by Serine Soul
I'm basically the same as you OP, poor state school (better sixth form college) and from one of the most deprived towns in the country :hugs:

I'll ask you what I asked the private school person, do you ever feel like your background has skewed your view on society?

Wow, and I remember reading somewhere that you had an offer to go Cambridge? That's amazing :proud:
I'm aware that I have to work 10 times harder in order to achieve what I want compared to the richer, more privileged person next to me and this has made me slightly more understanding of the type of society I live in. I used to think that social mobility was almost non-existent but after seeing how putting in the hard work pays off for me, I know achieving my dreams are possible. lol.

- Idk if I answered the question properly :lol:
What do you think of people who attend private schools?
Original post by Kiniun
Wow, and I remember reading somewhere that you had an offer to go Cambridge? That's amazing :proud:
I'm aware that I have to work 10 times harder in order to achieve what I want compared to the richer, more privileged person next to me and this has made me slightly more understanding of the type of society I live in. I used to think that social mobility was almost non-existent but after seeing how putting in the hard work pays off for me, I know achieving my dreams are possible. lol.

- Idk if I answered the question properly :lol:

Thanks :colondollar: Need to get some mandem from the endz into Cambridge. I really hope I meet my offer :redface:

I agree :yes:

I do feel that the grades achieved after being privately educated has less of a bearing on the hard work and talent of an individual, but the quality of teaching they've been able to get simply because they were lucky enough to born into a wealthy family.

It's just unfair that people have easy access to a successful life while others have to work much harder to equate that.

But don't listen to me. I go off on a tangent with my loony lefty ideas!
(edited 7 years ago)
What's the difference between a state and public school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Thanks :colondollar: Need to get some mandem from the endz into Cambridge. I really hope I meet my offer :redface:

I do feel that the grades achieved after being privately educated has less of a bearing on the hard work and talent of an individual, but the quality of teaching they've been able to get simply because they were lucky enough to born into a wealthy family.

It's just unfair that people have easy access to a successful life while others have to work much harder to equate that.

But don't listen to me. I go off on a tangent with my loony lefty ideas!

Oh no, I'm interested please tell me more
And yes, ayeeee! You be repping da mandem if you get in :giggle: - I have faith in you

It does sometimes frustrate me that 'being average' isn't really enough to get me to where I want to be as I don't really have anything else to fall back on - But that's a whole other matter :holmes:
Reply 32
Original post by niv1234
What do you think of people who attend private schools?

Honestly, I used to think they were a bunch of stuck up, rich white kids.
Obviously that was a very big stereotypical generalisation to make and after meeting people who have gone to private schools and looking into the schools more, I just think their individuals who have been entitled to a better education - can't really say much on things like who they may be as person because everyone's different :dontknow:
have you ever been involved with drugs, underaged drinking or smoking? whats the worst thing that has happened to your school? Have you ever gotten a detention, if so why (worst reasoning)
Original post by Kiniun
My secondary school isn't the greatest and I live in a pretty dangerous area where gang related activity is at an all time high, but I'd like to think that I defy most negative stereotypes and despite growing up in a crappy area have done good for myself. (so far at least :mmm:)

I'm in exactly the same situation, good work representing us well :biggrin:
Reply 35

Original post by Kiniun
And yes, ayeeee! You be repping da mandem if you get in :giggle: - I have faith in you

It does sometimes frustrate me that 'being average' isn't really enough to get me to where I want to be as I don't really have anything else to fall back on - But that's a whole other matter :holmes:

Where are you guys from if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious because I went to a fairly low quality state school but the area wasn't deprived at all, I'd like to know how different it was for you two.
Reply 36
Original post by sfaraj
have you ever been involved with drugs, underaged drinking or smoking? whats the worst thing that has happened to your school? Have you ever gotten a detention, if so why (worst reasoning)

Never been involved with drugs or alcohol and never smoked
There was a stabbing in my school a few years back (long before I started secondary)
I remember getting a detention in year 8 for faking a note to leave school with my friends so I could watch a film - I was hanging around with a group of naughty kids at the time and I was very easily influenced
Reply 37
Original post by Afro Tail
I'm in exactly the same situation, good work representing us well :biggrin:

:yeah:

Original post by Texx
Where are you guys from if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious because I went to a fairly low quality state school but the area wasn't deprived at all, I'd like to know how different it was for you two.

North London, Tottenham
Reply 38

not even lying i actually said this to one of my friends the other day

tfw i go to the worst state school in the city

ALSO OP dw ik ur feel, hopefully gonna get out of this shitfest after gcses are over
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kiniun

Safe fam

Yeah, I know how you feel. There's **** tons on non-academic extracurriculars that wealthier students have, which were hardly ever encouraged by my school or teachers (or my parents for that matter)
Original post by Texx

The secondary school I went to was second to bottom for the league tables (for my year) in my town, Oldham (just outside Manchester). It was named to be apparently the most deprived town in England a few weeks ago. Tfw you realise your deprivation ;_;
Original post by zanner
not even lying i actually said this to one of my friends the other day

tfw i go to the worst state school in the city

ALSO OP dw ik ur feel, hopefully gonna get out of this shitfest after gcses are over

:five: I remember sitting in physics class in Year 11, talking to my Gs about how my sixth form college interviewer has recommended that I look at Cambridge as a potential uni, and they were like, 'yoo, it'll be so sick if one of us gets in'. Man needs to do them proud ygm?

Quick Reply

Latest