The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheIr0nDuke
How can you be indifferent towards such a major issue? You must have a leaning towards one side or the other.

It would not be the state that kills the individual, they would only create the legislation. It would be a court of law and a jury which would have the final say.

I'm all ears for these other methods.

What's the issue?

There are argument of both sides that I agree with. I can understand why people want a child rapist/ murderer put to death but at the same time i can understand why people think that killing anyone is wrong.

It doesn't matter who kills the individual- there will still be innocent people killed eventually.

there are many other methods.
I just don't believe rapists or pedophiles have a right to live. I take it you do, and you're fine with taxpayers' money going to keep these immoral degenerates alive?

Had no idea people thought discussing the death penalty was about money and not peoples lives but ok
Original post by 0to100
Had no idea people thought discussing the death penalty was about money and not peoples lives but ok

Hmm money or a murderer, you decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
100% pro-death penalty.
Original post by 0to100
The only issue I have is I'm sure undeserving people have been executed

I feel only proven serial killers and terrorists should get it, or a murderer showing no remorse

As far as rape, kidnap, torture, homicide, attempted murder, etc give them life and no chance of getting out
Everyone else gets due time

"Victims?"

Some people would consider them victims since the death penalty is death. They weren't victims to me.
Original post by SmileyVibe
Some people would consider them victims since the death penalty is death. They weren't victims to me.

Oh. Got ya.
Yes. In a just society the death penalty is absolutely necessary.

I firmly believe that murderers, rapists and child molesters should be hung by the neck until dead.

I agree. I never really understood why some serial killers get to sit real tight in prison provided with free meals , healthcare, and beds for years after looking into their victims faces and brutally murdering them. Yet when you bring up the death penalty, some people will claim that is too harsh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SmileyVibe
I agree. I never really understood why some serial killers get to sit real tight in prison provided with free meals , healthcare, and beds for years after looking into their victims faces and brutally murdering them. Yet when you bring up the death penalty, some people will claim that is too harsh.

Inb4 human rights & rehabilitation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Inb4 human rights & rehabilitation

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol k, so you're an animal rights nutjob but don't believe that people who have done something wrong should be permitted to change?
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
lol k, so you're an animal rights nutjob but don't believe that people who have done something wrong should be permitted to change?

Hey, I didn't open anything. I just meant that they were the two things that come up over, and over again and would come up as a reply.

And anyway, there are people who don't want to change even if they have the chance.

Also I've already told you that my esteem of most humans is low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure go for it line up all of the scumbags serving life and drop them all one by one it'll save the government a fair bit of cash. I only agree to this extent with cases where there is total proof, obviously we can't murder people just because they look a bit shifty.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle

Original post by Xzerzes
Sure go for it line up all of the scumbags serving life and drop them all one by one it'll save the government a fair bit of cash. I only agree to this extent with cases where there is total proof, obviously we can't murder people just because they look a bit shifty.

Here's someone else you can argue with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, 2 wrongs don't make a right and as people have already said, the instance of error is too risky as it can't be undone. It's a barbaric way of dealing with things.

Also why did GG get banned??
Original post by QueenBee98
I personally believe it's wrong - wouldn't killing someone as a punishment for killing someone else make us just as bad as they are???

I think they should be left in prison for the rest of their lives and made to feel the guilt and anguish that they have caused.

but that's just me :laugh:

I agree. But that costs money. I would make them pay for it, too.
Original post by Underscore__
No it was definitely you that said taking things from a thief is stealing

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a tautology, but yes stealing is stealing.
Original post by aarora
I do think people should be punished for killing another person but not necessarily by the death penalty. I know there's no excuse for murder however sometimes certain circumstances need to be factored in - murder cases aren't simple.

I do think the death penalty should exist for certain circumstances however e.g. serial killers, terrorists - particularly those who show no remorse whatsoever for the killings of innocent people including children.

Many governments participate in the killings of innocent people including children.
Shall we sentence the Israeli government to death?

If the death penalty should exist, it should be for anyone who kills.
If not, then it should be for no-one.
We cannot be sure if a person has no remorse. They could have a mental illness or come up with another excuse.
Original post by brainhuman
I agree. But that costs money. I would make them pay for it, too.

It does, but the only other option that they have is being executed, and to me that's making us just as bad as they are. So in this case, I don't think it's a win/win scenario.
Original post by Xzerzes

I just don't believe rapists or pedophiles have a right to live. I take it you do, and you're fine with taxpayers' money going to keep these immoral degenerates alive?

While it stands to reason that executing people is more economical than feeding and housing them for life, that's not actually true. The number of appeals you have to allow a convict before condemning them to death to insure that innocent people aren't executed means that the legal fees associated with the death penalty are more expensive than the convict's lifelong room and board. And what's worst is, no number of appeals is really enough - innocent people are still executed.

The other problem is that the death penalty is a far less effective deterrent to crime than life in prison. Instating the death penalty would mean more crime, more criminals to be either imprisoned or executed, and hence far more expense.
It would not be the state that kills the individual, they would only create the legislation. It would be a court of law and a jury which would have the final say.

That's garbage. A state that legislates the death penalty is responsible for every person executed under that legislation. How can you not see that?
Original post by MockingJay-
What's your verdict? Is it right to kill someone for killing somebody?

Yes, it fears them not to kill someone.

Latest

Trending

Trending