The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
You just said you cant be transsexual without having gender dysphoria, I agree. So being transsexual means you have a mental health condition.

The question in hand was "Is transsexuality a mental disorder?". Thanks for agreeing that it isn't.
Original post by AlteredBoy
It does. thats the point.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sex - Either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most otherliving things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gender -The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones):

*he

Why must the cis get involved with this. As with men's opinions on female's reproductive rights, I fail to see why cisgender people can categorise trenssexualism as a mental disorder when it isn't. It's a state of being. The gender dysphoria that comes with most* trans people is.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/transsexual - a person who psychologically identifies with the opposite sex and may seek to live as a member of this sex especially by undergoing surgery and hormone therapy toobtain the necessary physical appearance (as by changing the external sex organs)

*Some trans people argue that they don't need dysphoria to be trans but I disagree.

Us "cis" are allowed to talk about what we want and have just as equal opinions, and while it can be a mental disorder that does not mean is is bad
Original post by cherryred90s
Why does anyone have to provide you with evidence?
We're free to have our beliefs. Doesn't need to be understood or accepted by you:s-smilie:

You don't but then you have to be open to criticism. You're offerring your opinion which I also didn't ask for - doesn't stop you giving it, does it? And nor should it.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Us "cis" are allowed to talk about what we want and have just as equal opinions, and while it can be a mental disorder that does not mean is is bad

Yes but do you agree that in some cases those with valid experiences have the upper hand when it comes to discussions?
If we were talking about travelling in Spain would those who have actually done that not be the one's whose experiences were valued more in the conversation?
Yes. Being gay is one thing but thinking you're the opposite sex? That's a whole different ball park. If you think you're the opposite sex and your body says something else, you''re not the opposite sex. I have seen male transgenders on Youtube, and believe me, wearing makeup and dresses do not make them female at all. I see commenters referring males as females.

If you happen to have xy, undergoing plastic surgeries cannot change that. It doesn't matter how hot they are, they're still dudes. Its like a natural born brunette getting offended for pointing out that they have brown hair. Bleach it, and dye it but at the end of the day its still brown hair in the roots and genetically. Just cuz a guy had a surgery to turn his penis inside out, it doesn't mean he has a vagina. Its one thing to be believe you're the opposite sex but its another to demand men to view you as a women with a penis. Same things for women with fake dicks. Its all just really strange. If it is not a mental disorder then what it is then? If a guy claims he was born to be blind and blinds himself, oh he's crazy! But a dude who dresses in women's outfits and tells other dudes who he is interested in that he's a female, oh just let him be! Hes a female now, and everyone should be expected to forget he has a xy chromosome, a penis, and different body structure than a female.

I have not against transgenders but it makes me very annoyed when I witness people denying biology and supporting transgenders lying to people about their gender. I'm especially against parents blocks their children's hormones .
Yes but do you agree that in some cases those with valid experiences have the upper hand when it comes to discussions?
If we were talking about travelling in Spain would those who have actually done that not be the one's whose experiences were valued more in the conversation?

But for looking at scientific studies being gay or straight or trans or whatever you want to call yourself does not help
But for looking at scientific studies being gay or straight or trans or whatever you want to call yourself does not help

Trans people carrying out research on other trans people can remain objective
Original post by monk1324
Typical PC. "Any male who isn't a SJW like me = racist, homophobe, transphobe, misogynist."
F*ck you. I genuinely didn't plan this thread to upset actual trans people and I'm sorry if it did. I don't hate people with mental disorders/conditions nor did I ever say anything like that. I think society should accommodate trans people. Maybe in your mind mental conditions warrant hate and negativity so you made that connection.

First rule: Never apologise
Trans people carrying out research on other trans people can remain objective

well no. you must think the bias that they may experience, and being trans does not help you in science
well no. you must think the bias that they may experience, and being trans does not help you in science

with empirical or quantitiative data it would be impossible to manipulate the results to show bias without facing a backlash from peers. With qualitative data, yes, small amounts of bias may occur but at least if the researcher is trans then they'll probably interpret it in a way that is more valid than a cis researcher would. If in doubt, get a cis person in for inter-rater reliability and come to a conclusion.
Simple.
with empirical or quantitiative data it would be impossible to manipulate the results to show bias without facing a backlash from peers. With qualitative data, yes, small amounts of bias may occur but at least if the researcher is trans then they'll probably interpret it in a way that is more valid than a cis researcher would. If in doubt, get a cis person in for inter-rater reliability and come to a conclusion.
Simple.

You cant interpret facts, they are facts
Original post by monk1324
F*ck you.

whoa stop trying to censor his free speech m8
The question in hand was "Is transsexuality a mental disorder?". Thanks for agreeing that it isn't.

If you can't have one without the other it's the same thing.

Jesus.

Also amusing how you don't reply to the points you don't want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe it is but to be honest I don't mind I have a friend who has had a boyfriend before and I have never judged him for it. He also wants to wear a dress and I'm still friends with him even though it's against my religion to be with the same gender.
You cant interpret facts, they are facts

Exactly why I said they wouldn't be able to get away with making quant. data biased. With qual. data, the researcher would have to interpret it into some form for their paper, possibly quoting it in the article to give their interpretation greater validity. The cis researcher would reduce any bias interpretation, or did you not bother reading that bit?
Original post by Moonstruck16
No person is happy 24/7. Some people just make very bad spur of the moment decisions.2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that no one is happy 24/7. What I am saying is that you wouldn't think to commit suicide at a time when you are happy and content.
Original post by cherryred90s
I know that no one is happy 24/7. What I am saying is that you wouldn't think to commit suicide at a time when you are happy and content.

Content is the key word and the state healthy people are in most of the time happy and sad are extremes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
If you can't have one without the other it's the same thing.

Jesus.

Also amusing how you don't reply to the points you don't want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My knowledge of brain scans doesn't go into degree level and i'm not about to get into an argument on something I have limited knowledge on. However, I have been taught that there are slight variances in the brain depending on a person's gender, especially the BSTc region, which is why I pointed it out.

If I can't have ice cream without sprinkles does that make them the same thing?
Original post by paul514
Content is the key word and the state healthy people are in most of the time happy and sad are extremes

Posted from TSR Mobile

I learnt something new. My English vocab is piss poor (not a native speaker even, but I try my best)
My knowledge of brain scans doesn't go into degree level and i'm not about to get into an argument on something I have limited knowledge on. However, I have been taught that there are slight variances in the brain depending on a person's gender, especially the BSTc region, which is why I pointed it out.

If I can't have ice cream without sprinkles does that make them the same thing?

Well I have been educated on the subject to that level hence why I am willing to get into the argument.

And in your analogy yes that does make them the same thing one doesn't exist without the other its a part of the same thing.

Quick Reply

Latest