The Student Room Group

Fake ID

I had a mate change my ID by painting through the 8 of '1998' to make it look like 1996. I went to a bar and they worked it out and scratched it off. They have given it to the police, what are the consequences if I go to collect it and admit that I had it changed?
It really depends on the police officer. I have heard of someone having to collect their ID from the police station before and they just let them off with a warning. If you have a clean record and humbly apologise, then I cannot see them bothering to take the matter further.
Original post by samharms
I had a mate change my ID by painting through the 8 of '1998' to make it look like 1996. I went to a bar and they worked it out and scratched it off. They have given it to the police, what are the consequences if I go to collect it and admit that I had it changed?

Lol

Death sentence.... I think. But what do I know about law, eh?! :biggrin:
Reply 4

Just say you were out with your mates and had a few drinks, then they decided to go to a bar and they were all over 18 but you weren't so you thought you'd mess around and try to get served, honesty in the best policy in this case, play it dumb and be apologetic and just act In a manner that shows you're mature and understand how serious it is
Reply 5
Most likely if you show genuine remorse and admit you were being stupid, they may let you off easily (if you're a first time offender)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by zayn008
Just say you were out with your mates and had a few drinks, then they decided to go to a bar and they were all over 18 but you weren't so you thought you'd mess around and try to get served, honesty in the best policy in this case, play it dumb and be apologetic and just act In a manner that shows you're mature and understand how serious it is

Thats good advice, cheers!
Reply 7
what if i pay for a new one? and say i lost the old one?
Reply 8
Original post by RiahDawson
Lol

stupid ey
Reply 9
Original post by TK_23
Most likely if you show genuine remorse and admit you were being stupid, they may let you off easily (if you're a first time offender)

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah you're probably right, thanks for the help
stupid ey

So did your friend use tipex? 😂
Reply 11
Original post by RiahDawson
So did your friend use tipex? 😂

yeah i think so - it was really effective and ive been going to other bars and clubs, but it turns out wetherspoons is strict :')n
Reply 12
what are the consequences if I go to collect it and admit that I had it changed?

Maximum prison sentence of 10 years under the Fraud Act 2006, 10 years under the Identity Documents Act 2010 or 10 years under the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981.

Take your pick :smile:
Reply 13
Technically, you have committed fraud. But I doubt you'll get prosecuted. You will probs get a 'warning' or something like that. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just act really sorry lol
Original post by Reue
Maximum prison sentence of 10 years under the Fraud Act 2006, 10 years under the Identity Documents Act 2010 or 10 years under the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981.

Take your pick :smile:

Are you deluded?
Reply 15
yeah i think so - it was really effective and ive been going to other bars and clubs, but it turns out wetherspoons is strict :')n

Gotta love good old spoons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Pablo Picasso
Are you deluded?

Op asked what the consequences could be, I posted the maximum possible consequences. Deluded would suggest I posted an opinion or belief, I did not. I stated facts.

Sounds like a total jobsworth bastard.

1: The ID was your property and he had no right to take it from you
2: He is not a cop so its not his job to try to enforce the law like that.
3: Why couldnt he just not serve you a drink and tell you to F.O? Thats all that he is legally required to do. Bit extreme dropping you in it.
Also report your ID as stolen and get a new one. That way it will look like someone else obtained your ID and tried to use it. Should get you out of shoot.
Reply 19
Original post by Laomedeia

1: The ID was your property and he had no right to take it from you
2: He is not a cop so its not his job to try to enforce the law like that.
3: Why couldnt he just not serve you a drink and tell you to F.O? Thats all that he is legally required to do. Bit extreme dropping you in it.

Police guidelines are for staff to keep the ID and pass it over to the police. Legally they cannot force you to surrender your ID to them however in such cases the advice is for the staff to then call the police anyway so they can just come and get it themselves.

Either way; the staff are doing exactly as they're being advised to by the police.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending