The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
You don't but then you have to be open to criticism. You're offerring your opinion which I also didn't ask for - doesn't stop you giving it, does it? And nor should it.

It seemed more like attacking tbh. 'You can't prove your God is real so you lose'. What did he lose by offering his opinion?
Original post by TrueDetective01
I learnt something new. My English vocab is piss poor (not a native speaker even, but I try my best)

I live to serve lol

Its an important point to make people often say they are happy when they really mean content.
Original post by paul514
I live to serve lol

Its an important point to make people often say they are happy when they really mean content.

Aha, makes sense. Cheers for that, mate
Yes, i think it is a disorder. However one can easily see why such a view is seen as bigoted since not everyone is a professional in this field of study and doesnt have the physchological understanding.
Original post by Youngmetro
Yes, i think it is a disorder. However one can easily see why such a view is seen as bigoted since not everyone is a professional in this field of study and doesnt have the physchological understanding.

Shouldn't we be addressing it instead of sweeping it under the rug incase it hurts someones feelings?
Shouldn't we be addressing it instead of sweeping it under the rug incase it hurts someones feelings?

Certainly we should, but is there a need to do so? I mean, ignoring political correctness, they are still fully mentally stable (as far as im aware)
TSR is full of ignorant dickheads
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE

I wish I had your skills of discussion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Youngmetro
Certainly we should, but is there a need to do so? I mean, ignoring political correctness, they are still fully mentally stable (as far as im aware)

Suicides amongst transgenders are higher than your average cis-gender person. Yet, I never see this being called into question.
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

explain to me how sufferers of disorders of sexual development can be assigned a gender not linked to their sex and can grow up virtually transgender, but transgender people are the ones who are"mentally ill"

Oh, just crawl back into your little safe space.
explain to me how sufferers of disorders of sexual development can be assigned a gender not linked to their sex and can grow up virtually transgender, but transgender people are the ones who are"mentally ill"

In English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
definitely not.
Original post by cherryred90s
It seemed more like attacking tbh. 'You can't prove your God is real so you lose'. What did he lose by offering his opinion?

Already answered this.

Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I just ask you this: why does the BPA not class it as a mental illness if psychologically it is? Because they would if it was... but they don't. I would assume that's because it isn't, no?

Also, why does it actually matter? Transitioning and psychological help are on offer to transsexuals. Help is available. As such, why does this little "illness or not" label even need awarding? People are going to go "I told you so" in either case and the world is going to continue to spin and nothing will cange. I just don't understand this fixation with whether or not it's a defect.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh, just crawl back into your little safe space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=sXQkXXBqj_U

I come in on 1:20

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Already answered this.

Can I just ask you this: why does the BPA not class it as a mental illness if psychologically it is? Because they would if it was... but they don't. I would assume that's because it isn't, no?

Also, why does it actually matter? Transitioning and psychological help are on offer to transsexuals. Help is available. As such, why does this little "illness or not" label even need awarding? People are going to go "I told you so" in either case and the world is going to continue to spin and nothing will cange. I just don't understand this fixation with whether or not it's a defect.

It's not labelled as such because they call it gender dysphoria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
It's not labelled as such because they call it gender dysphoria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is the same as calling it a defect, is it not? That is what a dysphoria is, no?
Which is the same as calling it a defect, is it not? That is what a dysphoria is, no?

No, it's literally all cognition based

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
Yes it clearly is.
What I can't understand is the current attitude of indulging the afflicted in their disorder rather than treating it.
I don't for a moment think that butchering genitalia constitutes "treatment". Infact it's akin to offering a pika sufferer a lightbulb or a paperclip to munch on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending