The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x_geniya_jery_x
Hello! Does anyone know what writing skill will come up in question 1?

I have no idea sorry, I asked my teacher if she had an idea and she doesn't because they're so unpredictable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellamoon_22
word count doesn't matter a lot but they will lower maerks if its under because it sa must develop ur points. If u are under it is showing tht u don't develop point. Also just because they aren't gonna penalise u if u go over doesn't mean write tons

So they'll penalise you if you're under word count but not if you're over?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x_geniya_jery_x
Sorry, my bad, didn't explain the question properly. I meant like what writing convention will come up in question 1 e.g newspaper article, report etc

Newspaper article, letter, formal report, journal entry, interview, speech
Original post by habeebahx
So they'll penalise you if you're under word count but not if you're over?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yhh my teacher got an email from the board and they gave her some letter thing with changes to the exam
(edited 7 years ago)
For question 2 does it matter if you use a phrase/word and use 2 words and analyse them? Or would that be too much writing and will I be marked down for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
For question 2 does it matter if you use a phrase/word and use 2 words and analyse them? Or would that be too much writing and will I be marked down for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean if you took 2 words from a phrase and analysed them.
So like 'worn mattresses were crammed together'. I say what the literal meaning means and then analyse it. But could I analyse the word 'worn' first and then develop it further by analysing the word 'crammed'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was over the moon, but I realized you've got the iGCSE 0522. I'm 0500. And the tests are really different...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 247
You probs got around 45+/50. Do you know what you got for your speaking and listening?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually don't know; my school isn't the best
Original post by Rajive
I actually don't know; my school isn't the best

Even if you got 15/25 for speaking then you would need around 40 for an A grade. Just assume you didn't do that well for your speaking and use that as a motivation to get around 45+ marks in the exam :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 249
Even if you got 15/25 for speaking then you would need around 40 for an A grade. Just assume you didn't do that well for your speaking and use that as a motivation to get around 45+ marks in the exam :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, all my teacher told me was that I need: 25 in the exam for a B and 35 for an A?
Original post by Rajive
Thanks, all my teacher told me was that I need: 25 in the exam for a B and 35 for an A?

Oh right! I think an A last year was 98/125. 98 - 35 is 63 so your coursework and speaking adds to make 63/125. Really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no idea sorry, I asked my teacher if she had an idea and she doesn't because they're so unpredictable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, that's a shame. Thank you!
Original post by bubblynerd5
Newspaper article, letter, formal report, journal entry, interview, speech

Im praying that it isnt a journal or formal report loool
Original post by Waveyalex
Im praying that it isnt a journal or formal report loool

I have a weird feeling it's going to be a journal lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the general structure for a question 2?
Is there a general rule?
Meaning?
Effect?
I have a weird feeling it's going to be a journal
Posted from TSR Mobile

If I see write a journal im gonna be pissed
Original post by Supreme_
What's the general structure for a question 2?
Is there a general rule?
Meaning?
Effect?

QMSE-Quotation,Meaning,suggestion and effect plus overall impression for each paragraph.
Gd luck everyone
Original post by ellamoon_22
word count doesn't matter a lot but they will lower maerks if its under because it sa must develop ur points. If u are under it is showing tht u don't develop point. Also just because they aren't gonna penalise u if u go over doesn't mean write tons

My teacher says you'll get penalised if you go over the word limit. This paper is all about being succinct/concise, not verbose. It's a reading exam.
Original post by Waveyalex
QMSE-Quotation,Meaning,suggestion and effect plus overall impression for each paragraph.

What do you mean by suggestion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending