The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough for Oxbridge

Hi, I really want to go study at Oxbridge. I know I'm probably asking this way too early, but I'm just wondering and would really appreciate it, if someone could tell me if I'm heading in the right direction. Or if I should re-consider.

I'm taking my GCSEs this May, and here are my predicted grades:
English language - A*
Geography - A*
Religious studies - A*
Graphics - A
French - A
Core science - A
Additional science - A
Computer science - B
Mathematics - B
English literature - B

I have chosen to study for A -level:
Philosophy and ethics,
Geography &
English language

And I am hoping to study Arabic and Islamic studies at either Oxford or Cambridge :smile:.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice :smile:. :smile:
Reply 1
B in Maths and English will really hurt your chances. A friend of mine was recently rejected from Bristol for Neural Science for having just a B in English Lit since his course required an A in English and Maths regardless of other qualifications.
Reply 2
Original post by Xzerzes
B in Maths and English will really hurt your chances. A friend of mine was recently rejected from Bristol for Neural Science for having just a B in English Lit since his course required an A in English and Maths regardless of other qualifications.

Can't do much about maths :/ , but would that matter considering the course I want to do, doesn't require it?
Would the A* in English Language balance out a B in literature?
As an answer to your question above, English Language will NOT balance out your Literature grade, they are completely separate, but english language is actually more important :smile:. Focus on your A* in language but I would do your best to try and get your literature to an A. Are you on AQA, if so what did you get in your literature controlled assessment?
Reply 4
Original post by jazz_xox_
As an answer to your question above, English Language will NOT balance out your Literature grade, they are completely separate, but english language is actually more important :smile:. Focus on your A* in language but I would do your best to try and get your literature to an A. Are you on AQA, if so what did you get in your literature controlled assessment?

Thank you. :smile:
Yes, i am on AQA, and in my Literature controlled assessment, i got an A :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest