The Student Room Group

Should I choose the highest ranked uni?

Hey,

Basically I recently firmed my university but am now doubting my choice as it was made in a rush and was probably the lowest ranked out of all 5.

I got 10A*s for GCSE, 4As at AS and am predicted A*A*A/A* at A2. As you may expect, my teachers were keen for me to apply to Oxbridge but I decided against it as I don’t feel like it would be the right environment for me; I don’t think I would work well or thrive in such a pressured environment and I am not the typical “clever” student who reads and discusses politics in their spare time. (sorry for the generalisation I’m aware that a lot of Oxbridge candidates are not like this)

So, I applied for Exeter, Warwick, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Bristol. However, I didn’t like the modern campus or atmosphere at Warwick, I felt I may be claustrophobic in a place like Exeter and I loved Bristol but the course was Liberal Arts rather than English and Spanish which I want.

I know Edinburgh is a really good uni but, on visiting, I felt the Spanish course was far too literature based and I would feel really uncomfortable living so far away from home. (London) So I decided on Nottingham as I felt the type of people, campus and city were much more to my taste and I also really liked the broadness of the English course as I’m really keen to study linguistics as well as literature. Anyway, I made my decision in a rush as I was worried about accommodation going and ultimately decided that being comfortable and enjoying the course was more important than prestige or rankings.

I know Nottingham is still a really good uni and it is in the top 10 for English. I’m just worried that I am wasting my potential or damaging my job prospects by going for a lower ranked Uni.

I know I’ve already firmed but there’s always clearing or re-applying. Any thoughts? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Belmar
I know Nottingham is still a really good uni and it is in the top 10 for English. I’m just worried that I am wasting my potential or damaging my job prospects by going for a lower ranked Uni.

I know I’ve already firmed but there’s always clearing or re-applying. Any thoughts? Thanks :smile:

Go to the course/uni you prefer. (And, anyway, all those universities are good.)

Employers are ultimately looking for good people, not good universities.
Original post by Belmar
Hey,

Basically I recently firmed my university but am now doubting my choice as it was made in a rush and was probably the lowest ranked out of all 5.

I got 10A*s for GCSE, 4As at AS and am predicted A*A*A/A* at A2. As you may expect, my teachers were keen for me to apply to Oxbridge but I decided against it as I don’t feel like it would be the right environment for me; I don’t think I would work well or thrive in such a pressured environment and I am not the typical “clever” student who reads and discusses politics in their spare time. (sorry for the generalisation I’m aware that a lot of Oxbridge candidates are not like this)

So, I applied for Exeter, Warwick, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Bristol. However, I didn’t like the modern campus or atmosphere at Warwick, I felt I may be claustrophobic in a place like Exeter and I loved Bristol but the course was Liberal Arts rather than English and Spanish which I want.

I know Edinburgh is a really good uni but, on visiting, I felt the Spanish course was far too literature based and I would feel really uncomfortable living so far away from home. (London) So I decided on Nottingham as I felt the type of people, campus and city were much more to my taste and I also really liked the broadness of the English course as I’m really keen to study linguistics as well as literature. Anyway, I made my decision in a rush as I was worried about accommodation going and ultimately decided that being comfortable and enjoying the course was more important than prestige or rankings.

Follow your gut feelings and think you'll settle well in. By the end of day all that matters is what you get out of it.
Original post by Belmar
I know Edinburgh is a really good uni but, on visiting, I felt the Spanish course was far too literature based

Not sure why you think that. Edinburgh's Spanish degree doesn't have any compulsory literature modules. :dontknow:
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
Not sure why you think that. Edinburgh's Spanish degree doesn't have any compulsory literature modules. :dontknow:

Oh, are you sure? My course at Edinburgh would actually be called English and Spanish Literature and when I went to the offer day both the teacher and the students were talking about how a lot of it was literature based :confused:
Original post by Belmar
Oh, are you sure? My course at Edinburgh would actually be called English and Spanish Literature and when I went to the offer day both the teacher and the students were talking about how a lot of it was literature based :confused:

Well obviously you're going to have to do English literature modules :lol: but I can't see any compulsory Spanish lit modules. http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/16-17/dpt/utspael.htm
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
Well obviously you're going to have to do English literature modules :lol: but I can't see any compulsory Spanish lit modules. http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/16-17/dpt/utspael.htm

Oh, I see. Basically, you probably already know this but with Edinburgh you do 3 different subjects in your first two years with 40 credits each. So I have a compulsory Spanish module (Spanish 2) and a compulsory English lit module (English lit 2) which are set. I can then either choose a completely different subject like Maths for my third subject or choose two from the list of modules which are on the page you just posted and are worth 20 credits each. In other words, they are just extra modules. But I do see what you're saying in that I could choose to do extra modules which are not literature based.
This is the core Spanish module which I would be doing for the first two years. At the bottom it says that half would be language exams and half would be literature. (in spanish haha) http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/16-17/dpt/cxelch08004.htm

Quite complicated to explain but hope that made sense :smile:
What I did like about the spanish course at Ed is that it is all taught in Spanish which surprisingly not many unis do anymore but oh well
Original post by Belmar
Oh, I see. Basically, you probably already know this but with Edinburgh you do 3 different subjects in your first two years with 40 credits each. So I have a compulsory Spanish module (Spanish 2) and a compulsory English lit module (English lit 2) which are set. I can then either choose a completely different subject like Maths for my third subject or choose two from the list of modules which are on the page you just posted and are worth 20 credits each. In other words, they are just extra modules. But I do see what you're saying in that I could choose to do extra modules which are not literature based.
This is the core Spanish module which I would be doing for the first two years. At the bottom it says that half would be language exams and half would be literature. (in spanish haha) http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/16-17/dpt/cxelch08004.htm

Quite complicated to explain but hope that made sense :smile:
What I did like about the spanish course at Ed is that it is all taught in Spanish which surprisingly not many unis do anymore but oh well

I'm afraid you won’t be able to totally avoid reading Spanish books if you want to do a degree in the language, but the literature component of the Spanish 2 module seems to be minor. Nottingham on the other hand has at least one compulsory Spanish literature module.

You said you were interested in studying linguistics as well as English lit; why not take linguistics as your 'outside modules'? I don't mean to sound pro-Edinburgh, I'm not, you should go where you will be happiest.
Reply 8
Original post by Snufkin
I'm afraid you won’t be able to totally avoid reading Spanish books if you want to do a degree in the language, but the literature component of the Spanish 2 module seems to be minor. Nottingham on the other hand has at least one compulsory Spanish literature module.

You said you were interested in studying linguistics as well as English lit; why not take linguistics as your 'outside modules'? I don't mean to sound pro-Edinburgh, I'm not, you should go where you will be happiest.

Yeah I agree, I'm not totally against literature (otherwise I wouldn't be doing an English degree!) I would just prefer to have more of range of lit, language, film, history etc for Spanish. I also remember at the Spanish Q&A at Ed, the two students said that if they could change something about the course, it would be less literature which was where my worries stemmed from.
Yeah, of course. Any advice is useful, Thank you :smile: It's just so difficult to decide!
Rankings and league Tables are just 'marketing' - they actually don't mean anything.

Despite what school-leavers think, HR depts do not keep these pinned to their wall and use them as a sift for job applications.
They look for a 2i or First, an interesting 'I did more than just a degree at Uni' type CV (work placements, relevant vacation work, voluntary work, travel, study abroad, team sport etc etc) and a well written job application.

To the OP - if you have a Firm that you like and where you felt comfortable, and the course is what you want, you have made your decision for totally the right reasons.
Reply 10
The rankings are just a guide. I went for a slightly lower ranked uni because I liked the course structure and location more and I haven't regretted it once.

The ranking means nothing if you can't enjoy your time there. It automatically makes you have to put in a lot more effort to get the same results.

Just go to the one you want to go to, not the one that the ranking tables say is the best. You're the one spending minimum 3 years there, not someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending