The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
I do, it has many hallmarks of a disorder too.

One of the most interesting parts of studying psychology is how you classify mental conditions. It makes you think of all sorts of behaviour that can be classified as disorders yet isn't as it is seen as socially acceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm genuinely curious to what else can be classified as disorder but is seen as socially acceptable. And what is the actual definition of a disorder?
Damn. I actually thought most of TSR were supportive of LGBT.
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Gender is fluid and a sociological construct. sex is scientific.They are not linked. i see no reason why a dude with a dick cant identify with femininity and stereotypical characteristics of womanhood, if he was born pre disposed to having an affinity to those things . perharps if society wasnt so rigid on gender roles and everyone was allowed to be who they felt they were then transgender might not happen. nevertheless its not a mental problem

now return the Koh I Noor to its rightful place you imperial monster

Ok, paragraph one isn't what the argument is about men can behave like women if they like and vice versa that is just individual preference. The difference is that they don't believe they are or should be the opposite sex
Paragraph two you can shove up your arse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AutisticMew
I don't have a mental condition. I am like everyone else.

I'm sorry it wasn't my original comment but you are autistic yet don't think you have a disorder in your brain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FredOrJohn
"There is no such thing as Mental Illness"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOScYBwMyAA

Yes there is and that guy is a complete tard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingKoala
As long as they are not doing anyone harm, and are happy in themselves I don't see a problem.

Because they are doing harm to themselves

Then as a side point people are arguing about semantics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by champ_mc99
Damn. I actually thought most of TSR were supportive of LGBT.

Lgb not t

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm genuinely curious to what else can be classified as disorder but is seen as socially acceptable. And what is the actual definition of a disorder?

We have been through this on the thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 228
Original post by ivybridge
There's no evidence to the support either. Plus, the world does conform to gender roles - just saying - whether we want them to exist or not. Also, transgenderism does not mean full transition - i.e. "mutilation".

Well, my world doesn't...
"The world" thought black people were 2nd class citizens up until very recently so I'm not too worried about "the world".
Original post by paul514
We have been through this on the thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol. The thread is twelve pages... nvm then.
Original post by JC.
Well, my world doesn't...
"The world" thought black people were 2nd class citizens up until very recently so I'm not too worried about "the world".

Zero credibility.

I really do not mean this to be nasty but I genuinely fear you becoming a certified psychologist. Your opinions on things just... the actual damage you could cause is bizzare.

"I don't know if gays are defective mentally" - are you serious?

http://lgbpsychology.org/html/facts_mental_health.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 232
Zero credibility.

Just accurate.
Original post by JC.
Just accurate.

No, just ridiculous.
Original post by paul514
Because they are doing harm to themselves

Then as a side point people are arguing about semantics

Posted from TSR Mobile

From your point of view.
Original post by paul514
Wasn't that your whole point? Word definition

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.

I've provided a DSM definition earlier in the thread. Don't put too much sway by the definition of a mental disorder though, because it's such an umbrella term. Like I've said previously, it's the individual diagnostic definitions that matter.

What Paul said is incorrect. I'm pretty sure that the DSM explicitly states in either the last publication or the one previous, that simply going against social normals is not sufficient in defining a disorder. Social acceptability is not sufficient. It has to cause distress/ harm to yourself or others, or lead to some form of reduced functioning.

Gender dysphoria is included in the DSM-5 by the looks. Although the emphasis is on the suffering that is
caused, where someone is "intensely uncomfortable with their biological sex". So that could well be a diagnostic requirement.

Being in the wrong gender does cause a lot of internal suffering, and has led to suicides so I do see why it's classified as a disorder. But at the same time, if a post-op transsexual is now happy with themselves, as much as any of us that is, and is no longer suffering, I don't think they would be considered to suffer from a disorder would they.
Original post by KingKoala
From your point of view.

Mutilation, suicide and delusion is not my point of view it's fact

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twinpeaks
I've provided a DSM definition earlier in the thread. Don't put too much sway by the definition of a mental disorder though, because it's such an umbrella term. Like I've said previously, it's the individual diagnostic definitions that matter.

What Paul said is incorrect. I'm pretty sure that the DSM explicitly states in either the last publication or the one previous, that simply going against social normals is not sufficient in defining a disorder. Social acceptability is not sufficient. It has to cause distress/ harm to yourself or others, or lead to some form of reduced functioning.

Gender dysphoria is included in the DSM-5 by the looks. Although the emphasis is on the suffering that is
caused, where someone is "intensely uncomfortable with their biological sex". So that could well be a diagnostic requirement.

Being in the wrong gender does cause a lot of internal suffering, and has led to suicides so I do see why it's classified as a disorder. But at the same time, if a post-op transsexual is now happy with themselves, as much as any of us that is, and is no longer suffering, I don't think they would be considered to suffer from a disorder would they.

I didn't say going against a social norm is enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really do not mean this to be nasty but I genuinely fear you becoming a certified psychologist. Your opinions on things just... the actual damage you could cause is bizzare.

"I don't know if gays are defective mentally" - are you serious?

http://lgbpsychology.org/html/facts_mental_health.html

Too late :smile:

And actually the gay thing is debatable like I said I just don't know it's called being scientific there is no definitive answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending