The Student Room Group

Changing your degree after first year

Hi, I am currently studying computer science and I'm in my first year. However, If I'm being honest, I am not enjoying computer science as much as I hoped I would. It's my first time doing programming and while I wouldn't say I find it boring since there are times where I have fun coding, I feel out of place and uncomfortable. It probably sounds weird. At A Level I studied maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. And I opted for the maths side of things since biology/psychology grads find it harder to get employed compared to computer science grads. While I realise I may be better off doing computer science since there are more employment opportunities, I really miss psychology/biology. Those were my favourite subjects. And I'm fine with an average salary and decent job as long as I enjoy it. So my question, is it possible to change my course/degree after first year? If so, when would i need to change? During the summer, or now, or september? Thanks
Original post by Zeshy
Hi, I am currently studying computer science and I'm in my first year. However, If I'm being honest, I am not enjoying computer science as much as I hoped I would. It's my first time doing programming and while I wouldn't say I find it boring since there are times where I have fun coding, I feel out of place and uncomfortable. It probably sounds weird. At A Level I studied maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. And I opted for the maths side of things since biology/psychology grads find it harder to get employed compared to computer science grads. While I realise I may be better off doing computer science since there are more employment opportunities, I really miss psychology/biology. Those were my favourite subjects. And I'm fine with an average salary and decent job as long as I enjoy it. So my question, is it possible to change my course/degree after first year? If so, when would i need to change? During the summer, or now, or september? Thanks

It is definitley possible, plenty of people start again doing a new degree. Really if you want to restart in September this year you need to start making enquiries asap- to your current uni and any others you are interested in to see if they have places available for next year. Then if you want to apply externally you would need to create a new UCAS account.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
It is definitley possible, plenty of people start again doing a new degree. Really if you want to restart in September this year you need to start making enquiries asap- to your current uni and any others you are interested in to see if they have places available for next year. Then if you want to apply externally you would need to create a new UCAS account.

Thanks. Well I have my exams in a few weeks which I am fairly confident about and prepared for, but I was wondering whether I should wait till after my exams are over?
Thank you for the reply.
Original post by Zeshy
Thanks. Well I have my exams in a few weeks which I am fairly confident about and prepared for, but I was wondering whether I should wait till after my exams are over?
Thank you for the reply.

I can't claim to be an expert on this, but I would be inclined to say don't wait, get in touch with people now. Post in the univeristies & UCAS page for more replies.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
I can't claim to be an expert on this, but I would be inclined to say don't wait, get in touch with people now. Post in the univeristies & UCAS page for more replies.

I plan on applying internally, to my university. Alright thanks!
Original post by Zeshy
I plan on applying internally, to my university. Alright thanks!

In that case it should be a case of just filling out a form, but it wont hurt to have a quick chat with your academic advisor soon to confirm the process and if you will be accepted as a formality.

Quick Reply

Latest