The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society MK2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Anyone tried using supplements for cycling, too? I was talking to someone who started having L-carnitine before and after and said he felt better during the race and over time a noticeable improvement?

Woah, nice dude! And nice location too! You ever take photos?

What were you eating/drinking during that time? I've started doing longer rides and I am beginning to feel in need of energy towards the end. There is so much out there I am never sure what I should take. And all those energy bars and liquids, aren't that cheap either if you go often and take multiple ones it kinda adds up.
Reply 43

200 miles and 20,000ft? That's not a bad start to the weekend.....

Original post by brainhuman
Anyone tried using supplements for cycling, too? I was talking to someone who started having L-carnitine before and after and said he felt better during the race and over time a noticeable improvement?

Personally no. If I'm at the point that I'm considering taking drugs to improve, I don't think I'd really be having fun anymore.
Original post by pjm600
Personally no. If I'm at the point that I'm considering taking drugs to improve, I don't think I'd really be having fun anymore.

I think I'm going to leave this alone. Not sure I agree with it but can't say I know enough to comment properly either. It's quite a large and complex field. It sounds like you just equated supplements to recreational drugs and even recreational drugs are demonised so yeah, I'm not saying anything else on this. And that's before you get to PEDs which may or may not intersect with supplements, I'm not sure. Very complex.

What were you eating/drinking during that time? I've started doing longer rides and I am beginning to feel in need of energy towards the end. There is so much out there I am never sure what I should take. And all those energy bars and liquids, aren't that cheap either if you go often and take multiple ones it kinda adds up.

Start off with electrolytes. High5 zero tablets. Readily available. 20 tablets for £3.50. Chuck one in a bottle of water and off you go. YMMV but for me I go through one tablet and 750ml of water in approx an hour. Ofc, if I run slightly over I'm not going to start on a new drink/tablet. Keeps you hydrated, staves off cramp, headaches. Gels are meant for longer rides but can't say I have used them. Probably talking 2 hour+ rides and then I think 1 gel an hour. Someone probably knows better about that. You can do other snacks. I think bananas are meant to be good, flapjacks, jam sandwiches. GCN has a bunch of videos on this subject:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=GCN+flapjack (I was looking for a particular video but 10 of these look handy).
(edited 7 years ago)
Merged last two posts because I wanted a separate post for this. Just had a quick fiddle with my bike. Had this creaking in my handlebars for a while and tbh I knew exactly what it was I just never did anything about it until now. Should be ok now. Also investigated the creaking that seems to be coming from my drivetrain. Took off my non-driveside crank off and there was a bit of filth on the outside of the BB so I daresay I'll have a look at that again but didn't have time tonight. Then I wiggled a pedal and it seemed a little loose. I own these:

Turns out the end caps were loose so that probably didn't helps things. That said, I don't think that fixed the creak. Not sure, I took it for a quick minute ride so not enough time to really tell but it's a start. May regrease bearings in both pedals and BB.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46

I don't over think it. 200 miles is such a long way that you can eat whatever you want. Drink lots, eat lots (to an extent (but that's something you'll figure out for yourself from doing more and more long distance rides)) and you'll fight off fatigue for longer.

I was told yesterday that 1% dehydration is 10% performance loss so don't underestimate how much you should be drinking.

Personally I like the Wiggle stuff. It's cheap and tastes good. Zipvit do amazing energy shake powder (banana is particularly good). Etixx do really tasty powders and tablets too. Their magnesium tablet is good for fending off muscle cramps (and tastes slightly metalicy which I like). Torq gels are very sweet but expensive. High5 stuff is not nice but it's cheap. That's just from my experience but it's all personal preference really.

I ate so many energy bars and gels on top of normal food (bananas and bread rolls) that I felt pretty sick towards the end. That still didn't stop me from eating two rounds of dinner with two rounds of dessert though!

Sadly no photos from the 312. I was riding too hard to remember to take any. We were really pushing on at times so the last 50 miles were pretty horrific.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by alexs2602
Merged last two posts because I wanted a separate post for this. Just had a quick fiddle with my bike. Had this creaking in my handlebars for a while and tbh I knew exactly what it was I just never did anything about it until now. Should be ok now. Also investigated the creaking that seems to be coming from my drivetrain. Took off my non-driveside crank off and there was a bit of filth on the outside of the BB so I daresay I'll have a look at that again but didn't have time tonight. Then I wiggled a pedal and it seemed a little loose. I own these:

Turns out the end caps were loose so that probably didn't helps things. That said, I don't think that fixed the creak. Not sure, I took it for a quick minute ride so not enough time to really tell but it's a start. May regrease bearings in both pedals and BB.

Bearings. May need to completely take pedal and BB bearings apart to find the fault. We get some truly horrific ones in work that have been trashed, left in the rain and all sorts.

Had to stop myself buying another clearance bike today, it was an utter bargain for a hardtail MTB, but just not worth it for me personally. Carrera Vengance ex demo for £100, new its £215, was over £400 when first released.
Reply 48

The only PED you need is caffeine. Have like 2.5/3mg per kg of body weight for proper effect.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by dhr90
Bearings. May need to completely take pedal and BB bearings apart to find the fault. We get some truly horrific ones in work that have been trashed, left in the rain and all sorts.

Had to stop myself buying another clearance bike today, it was an utter bargain for a hardtail MTB, but just not worth it for me personally. Carrera Vengance ex demo for £100, new its £215, was over £400 when first released.

Don't Halfords have a habit of making real high RRPs, where they'd no longer be a bargain value for money, and forever selling them at a discount/sale?
Reply 50
Original post by BaronK
Don't Halfords have a habit of making real high RRPs, where they'd no longer be a bargain value for money, and forever selling them at a discount/sale?

Sometimes. There are also genuine good deals though. The promotions don't go on forever either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BaronK
The only PED you need is caffeine. Have like 4/5mg per kg of body weight for proper effect.

Are you crazy? Depends on tolerance. That's tons for me. I'd be jittery if I used that much.
I think I'm going to leave this alone. Not sure I agree with it but can't say I know enough to comment properly either. It's quite a large and complex field. It sounds like you just equated supplements to recreational drugs and even recreational drugs are demonised so yeah, I'm not saying anything else on this. And that's before you get to PEDs which may or may not intersect with supplements, I'm not sure. Very complex.

Start off with electrolytes. High5 zero tablets. Readily available. 20 tablets for £3.50. Chuck one in a bottle of water and off you go. YMMV but for me I go through one tablet and 750ml of water in approx an hour. Ofc, if I run slightly over I'm not going to start on a new drink/tablet. Keeps you hydrated, staves off cramp, headaches. Gels are meant for longer rides but can't say I have used them. Probably talking 2 hour+ rides and then I think 1 gel an hour. Someone probably knows better about that. You can do other snacks. I think bananas are meant to be good, flapjacks, jam sandwiches. GCN has a bunch of videos on this subject:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=GCN+flapjack (I was looking for a particular video but 10 of these look handy).

Ok thank you, I like the sound of including electrolytes in your water. And I love bananas :P
Original post by pjm600
200 miles and 20,000ft? That's not a bad start to the weekend.....

So every guy at the gym is taking drugs and doesn't have fun?
Adding you in because it kinda relates to your comment too.

pjm600

Original post by BaronK
The only PED you need is caffeine. Have like 4/5mg per kg of body weight for proper effect.

I don't actually mean take something just before I go cycling so that my time is faster than last time.

I mean things that will improve the training effect.
Reply 55
Adding you in because it kinda relates to your comment too.

I don't actually mean take something just before I go cycling so that my time is faster than last time.

I mean things that will improve the training effect.

Just take a recovery drink pal.

Are you crazy? Depends on tolerance. That's tons for me. I'd be jittery if I used that much.

Corrected.
Original post by BaronK

Yea but isn't already taking a specialized recovery drink already more than just say water and a banana?

And not that I feel offended or anything, just curious to your motivation. To me, I do ride for "fun". It is a great way to end the day after work, taking a long detour with some steep hills, And over time it's a good feeling doing better and better.
Original post by BaronK

Corrected.

Lower end is borderline OK for me. IIRC there is 100mg caffeine in 1L coke. If you're 80kg then that's 2L of coke. Coffee has tons more caffeine. I think it's 200mg in a single cup. I'm not a coffee drinker.

Ok thank you, I like the sound of including electrolytes in your water. And I love bananas :P

Roobsa said he wasn't a fan of the high5 ones, I kinda get that. I'm not sure I'd say they're amazing but the flavour masks the saltiness. I've tried citrus, pink grapefruit and berry. Once you get going I don't think you notice the flavour too much and they are very diluted flavours but I think that's to be expected and personally I'm happy with it. Don't like the berry one so much but pink grapefruit and citrus are fine to me. Science in Sport do one too but I haven't tried it yet. I may try them next. I'd listen to Roobsa, he knows what he's talking about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dhr90

Shouldn't be an issue. I've seen how to do both. I'm going to take a guess at the pedals and do them first. I'm at a loss for how it can be the bearings though. Both are quite new. 5months and 6 and a half months. On that note, what kind of experience did you have before getting the job? I can do most of my stuff. Few exceptions ofc.

I wouldn't have [got it] either. Bit of a run around if you don't care what happens to it but sounds like more hassle than it's worth - got to find space for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Science in Sport do one too but I haven't tried it yet. I may try them next.

I knew there was one brand I was forgetting! SiS make good everything. Their new protein energy bars are really very nice and they regularly do promotions up to 50% off on boxes of gels and bars so keep an eye out on their site.

I'd listen to Roobsa, he knows what he's talking about.

:five:

Quick Reply

Latest