The Student Room Group

What do I need to do to get in TV/Radio broadcast?

I'm a 1st year undergraduate university student, studying Media Production. I have always fancied a career in a broadcast studio, be it TV or radio, even if just operating certain equipment. However, when finding out about what I should do to increase chances of employment, I'm hearing "film-making" this and "film-making" that. I understand this being the case if you wanted to enter the TV and film industry, being on a production crew of a TV drama or film, but for the purposes of TV or radio broadcast, I don't see how film-making is relevant. I can sometimes enjoy the production process of film-making, but the process as a whole is generally painfully arduous for me and it's not something I'd want to dedicate my time to if I can avoid it. I'm not a film-maker.

As it is nearing the end of my 1st year now, and I'll be at home from June to September for Summer, I have thought about possibly applying for work experience in local radio studios in my 2nd year, or joining TV production societies at the uni. This would give me practice, experience and something good to mention on my CV. In my eyes if I were an employer, with added determination, this alone would suffice, but that's only an educated assumption. In fact, if I were to apply for radio work experience I already have a half hour radio show that I presented for an assessment, as a portfolio.

My questions are:
Would work experience and/or society projects be satisfactory in helping me get into the industry?
Is it OK to wait until September (for the reasons I've stated) or do I need to start this ASAP?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Original post by RobertEllis97
I'm a 1st year undergraduate university student, studying Media Production. I have always fancied a career in a broadcast studio, be it TV or radio, even if just operating certain equipment. However, when finding out about what I should do to increase chances of employment, I'm hearing "film-making" this and "film-making" that. I understand this being the case if you wanted to enter the TV and film industry, being on a production crew of a TV drama or film, but for the purposes of TV or radio broadcast, I don't see how film-making is relevant. I can sometimes enjoy the production process of film-making, but the process as a whole is generally painfully arduous for me and it's not something I'd want to dedicate my time to if I can avoid it. I'm not a film-maker.

As it is nearing the end of my 1st year now, and I'll be at home from June to September for Summer, I have thought about possibly applying for work experience in local radio studios in my 2nd year, or joining TV production societies at the uni. This would give me practice, experience and something good to mention on my CV. In my eyes if I were an employer, with added determination, this alone would suffice, but that's only an educated assumption. In fact, if I were to apply for radio work experience I already have a half hour radio show that I presented for an assessment, as a portfolio.

My questions are:
Would work experience and/or society projects be satisfactory in helping me get into the industry?
Is it OK to wait until September (for the reasons I've stated) or do I need to start this ASAP?

You can never start early enough!

My questions are:

Joining societies will do nothing.

Work experience and runner work will get you there. I worked at a local radio station and had my own show eventually on Monday nights. Great fun.

My questions are:

1) Whilst work experience is absolutely crucial, you can never be certain about breaking into any industry really. It still requires suitable vacancies coming up and being able to jump through the application hoops.
2) If you can get some work experience with a local radio station or tv production company this summer then that would be even better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending