The Student Room Group

If there is a god, why are some people born disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imperion
His example? You said his parents punishments are nothing compared to what people go through round the world. True but you could like um... 'make them larger' to fit the situation because what he's conveying is parent-child relationship which often involve corrections and punishments. Not sure if I'm coming out clear :laugh:

Bt god is depicted as a father figure right? so that is also a parent-child relationship on a larger scare? would your father do such evil to you?

I think that is what you mean anyway...
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Why? Why can't he just forgive, rather than torture someone?

Okay, but your parents' punishments are nothing like what some people suffer on this earth.

Who said God doesn't forgive them?
Original post by toonervoustotalk
couldn't have said it any better :biggrin:

Someone had to say it! I find the people bringing up the issues of disabilities and God making people suffer etc are the people with the problems. Fair enough, we all judge (it's a natural human instinct) but a lot of people overlook a person for their disability. Treat people the way you want to be treated. The OP seems to be making these strange controversial threads lately...
Original post by AhmedMA99
Who said God doesn't forgive them?

:colonhash: So causing someone to suffer for their "sins" is what you call forgiveness?
Original post by champ_mc99
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying it's easier and almost unfair for those who die young? (If life is a test.)

In the context of life as a test where the punishment for failing is inconceivably painful torment for all eternity, yes. I would rather have been created as an angel with no free will.
I spy a non sequitur.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
How can life be a test if God is all-knowing? A test is dependent on there being doubt present, it's done to find something out about that person, usually in terms of skills and capabilities. But how can God find something about you that he didn't already know from before you were even born?

Perhaps he knows everything that has occurred and will occur but he needs to create situations in order for people's characters to be tested in various ways.

Problem of evil which religious believers have to deal with...

Original post by Foo.mp3
God recognises that life would be way too easy for us were we not afflicted early on in life + he likes to challenge people, he's perverse like that :yy:

of course not a douche at all
Original post by AhmedMA99
Life would be too easy if we had everything preserved for us.
God wants us to feel thankful for what we have so he tests
us with disabilities, illness, poorness etc..
Some people have more than what we have, some have less.
That's just how life works. You have to work for your
success. Nothing is served on a golden plate.
Sometimes these disabilities are a punishment for
doing something bad or maybe just to remind us
of thanking God for what we have.
In conclusion, God wants us to work hard in our
lives and thank him for everything either it being waking up
in the morning or going to sleep in the night.
Maybe you can think about all the poor and homeless people
all over the world with no beds to sleep on.
If God gave everyone everything, no one would
thank God for what he have.
Sorry for the long post, but I had to type this.

But no need to give other a disadvantage
we have a term for this"being a dick"
so what about the other times
what? why would you thank someone else for waking up in the morning or sleeping??
what does god have? if he gives everything to everyone, very bad things would happen... chaos etc
but there's no need to not help other who believe in you if you are a "god"
that's just like saying oh a settlement needs my help...... nope cba going to help that settlement.
God himself tells us to be moral but he himself is not moral. He doesn't help the injured and he certainly doesn't save people from death with his omnipotency
Original post by fastandfurious
In Hinduism, disabilities are believed to be linked to “karma”, sins that have been committed in past lives.

I'd like to believe I was a hitman in my past lifetotsseemedrelevant :tongue:
Bt god is depicted as a father figure right? so that is also a parent-child relationship on a larger scare? would your father do such evil to you?I think that is what you mean anyway...
Yeah, it is what I mean. However, like any other (normal) parent, it's for the good of the child.
Isn't that evil?

If you had the power to cause someone to be disabled, to be raped, murdered, tortured, suffer terminal cancer, starve, abused in several forms...would you use it? (those are just a few examples of the suffering that goes on in the world)

No, I don't believe in the term "evil". I don't think any person is EVIL let alone God.
Regarding the question about power obviously No. However, I am an human and hence no less than humans unlike God.
So if an human is born with an disability, they must be some wisdom behind it as God is more knowledgeable
than all humans.
In the context of life as a test where the punishment for failing is inconceivably painful torment for all eternity, yes. I would rather have been created as an angel with no free will.

Fair enough. So where you stand as irreligious, would you prefer to have died young to get it over and done with?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Perhaps he knows everything that has occurred and will occur but he needs to create situations in order for people's characters to be tested in various ways.

Again, if he knows everything then how can he be testing people's characters?
Original post by Farah_786
No, I don't believe in the term "evil". I don't think any person is EVIL let alone God.
Regarding the question about power obviously No. However, I am an human and hence no less than humans unlike God.
So if an human is born with an disability, they must be some wisdom behind it as God is more knowledgeable
than all humans.

:redface: Well it's in the dictionary soooooo...........

You don't think a serial killer is evil? You don't think a rapist is evil? you don't think Hitler was evil?

How is he more knowledgeable? How do you know that?
Again, if he knows everything then how can he be testing people's characters?

The everything could be everything that has ever occurred and will occurred as I said above. It does not necessarily extend to how a person would react in situation x.
Original post by champ_mc99
Fair enough. So where you stand as irreligious, would you prefer to have died young to get it over and done with?

Well as someone irreligious I don't believe in hell so it's not an issue that worries me. I would prefer to have died young in the hypothetical scenario that I actually believed this stuff.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
The everything could be everything that has ever occurred and will occurred as I said above. It does not necessarily extend to how a person would react in situation x.

That doesn't make sense, if God is all-knowing then by definition he knows everything, including how someone would react in a certain situation. If he doesn't know this then he isn't all-knowing.
Original post by Imperion

Yeah, it is what I mean. However, like any other (normal) parent, it's for the good of the child.

No it isn't!

I don't think getting diagnosed with terminal cancer is good for me? I don't think being abused would be good for me?!
Well as someone irreligious I don't believe in hell so it's not an issue that worries me. I would prefer to have died young in the hypothetical scenario that I actually believed this stuff.

Not what I was after. I'm talking about here and now, where you don't believe in heavan/hell/God. Would you want to die as a baby so you don't have to experience life (or the remainder of it)?
Original post by xobeauty
God has nothing to do with that

Then who does
Original post by RobML
So God didn't create everything?

I'm not interested in having a conversation with you all I will say is you need Jesus in your life, if you know what I mean :wink:
How can life be a test if God is all-knowing? A test is dependent on there being doubt present, it's done to find something out about that person, usually in terms of skills and capabilities. But how can God find something about you that he didn't already know from before you were even born?

It is very similar to a game, there is an algorithm. The game is going to end in the same way for you, me and anyone else. Its just the things you decide between the beginning and the end of the game that may change the gameplay for you. Example If you decide to kill some guy in a mission, this will change the game play for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending