The Student Room Group

If there is a god, why are some people born disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
From a Hindu perspective, each person is born with certain qualities based on how advanced their soul is (reincarnation). After lifetimes and lifetimes of evolving or devolving as a better/worse person by certain deeds done in life (this is what karma is), your next life is either better or worse depending on how you lived your life. Each life is a fresh start though, however, as we all know, life isn't fair, and this is because some people will be born with more, and some with less..

^This is a REALLY general explanation, but different outlook on life

@nucdev right?
Original post by Farah_786
people can CHOOSE to be immoral/wicked etc as they have freewill. God doesn't control their minds as he wants to see how fellow humans CHOOSE to live their life.

Oh finally, something where God isn't authoritarian. :smile: YAY!
Original post by AhmedMA99
Life has to continue, if everyone is getting immortality then what is the difference. People then would say that if god existed he would gave us mortality. innit ?

one becomes immoral you cannot "get" immorality as you put it

no morality doesn't come from God

pls i've written an A worthy essay on how morality doesn't come from God with reference to richard dawkins, the euthyphro dilemma and examples from the God delusion and many other various of my own thoughts too(can't post here since i don't have the essay with me, it's back at school)
Original post by champ_mc99
But you must have had downs in life like everyone else. Don't you think it's easier to not live at all? You won't feel sadness or happiness because you won't feel anything at all. You won't exist. Seems like an easier option imo when you actually do understand it.

I personally prefer experiencing life in all its variety rather than not existing.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
okay.

:colonhash:

Lol mystery of the universe xD
There are many arguments:
God(The gods) is(are) not all knowing and don't know about humans. More specifically he/she/it/they may not know about the suffering of humans.
God(The gods) is(are) not omnipotent.
God(The gods) is(are) indifferent to the suffering of humans.
God(The gods) likes(like) humans to suffer.
God(The gods) does(do) not want to affect what happens for whatever reason.
Disabilities serve some other purpose to the god(gods).
to name a few.

Original post by thefatone
one becomes immoral you cannot "get" immorality as you put it

no morality doesn't come from God

pls i've written an A worthy essay on how morality doesn't come from God with reference to richard dawkins, the euthyphro dilemma and examples from the God delusion and many other various of my own thoughts too(can't post here since i don't have the essay with me, it's back at school)

Immortality, with a "t".
Original post by Imperion
Lol mystery of the universe xD

I don't agree with you, I just have the time to debate with you properly right now! :tongue:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I don't agree with you, I just have the time to debate with you properly right now! :tongue:

Sure, what don't you agree with? The whole statement?
Original post by Foo.mp3
God recognises that life would be way too easy for us were we not afflicted early on in life + he likes to challenge people, he's perverse like that :yy:

I am guessing that you have similar answers for people who get terminal diseases or are sexually abused in their childhood.

Would you call terminal disease or sexually abuse a challenge?

I personally wouldn't.
This requires a broader discussion on the problem of evil; the logical formulation thereof, which attempts to show that the central doctrines of theism are fundamentally inconsistent with one another, goes something like this:

Premise 1: If an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent god exists, then evil does not.

Premise 2: There is evil in the world.

Conclusion: Therefore, an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent God does not exist.

The argument is logically valid, and since no theist really disputes P2, the soundness of the argument as an atheological proof rests on the validity of P1. The logical formulation above is not considered a convincing argument by professional philosophers of religion, theists and atheists alike, due to the following possibility: God has morally sufficient reasons for permitting the existence of evil. There are no good epistemological reasons to deny such a possibility thus as long as that additional premise is logically plausible, then the logical PoE fails as an argument against the existence of God. We don't HAVE to know what those morally sufficient reasons could be for that premise to be true.

I admit this is unlikely to satisfy people emotionally, but it is what it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is pretty much a huge problem with masses of so-called 'solutions' to it, but the mere existence of evil does not prove God doesn't exist - just that this God clearly isn't a very loving one (though once again there are arguments against that).

Perhaps there is a God who is just a really disgusting being/
Original post by Imperion
Sure, what don't you agree with? The whole statement?

God.
Original post by AhmedMA99
It is very similar to a game, there is an algorithm. The game is going to end in the same way for you, me and anyone else. Its just the things you decide between the beginning and the end of the game that may change the gameplay for you. Example If you decide to kill some guy in a mission, this will change the game play for you.

You would still know the outcome given any set of decisions. So Planta is right.
Original post by morgan8002
God(The gods) is(are) not all knowing and don't know about humans. More specifically he/she/it/they may not know about the suffering of humans.
to name a few.

Immortality, with a "t".

Pretty sure they mean morality not mortality.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I personally prefer experiencing life in all its variety rather than not existing.

But you haven't tried not existing!
I guess maybe God wanted them to born like that to be used an inspiration for others and bring glory to him? If we're going to go "why do bad things happen" route, this world is ruled by Satan.
I dont believe God created us directly,but rather indirectly,outside of our reality and does not interfere in our everyday processes .
But I guess that does not answer the question :redface:.
You see, in order for us to have free will, God can't control everything for us. But the main thing for us as his creations is not to ask why?, but just live life as a good person, to test your faith despite any challenges that you have or your loved ones have. The life we have now is just temporary, in heaven we will be free from disabilities, pain etc. and be away from the materialistic world.

Remember God created the universe, so we can't expect to understand his thoughts and plans. Our understanding of the world is just ultimately limited to our 3 dimensions, but God is beyond that. Therefore, just aim to live a good, happy life, and care for another etc. and don't just keep feeling anger or hatred when you don't understand how things work... because that's just life and we are only human.

That's just my belief.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by morgan8002
to name a few.

Immortality, with a "t".

being not all knowing and not all powerful and no sympathy towards humans, liking humans to suffer all tells me these being/s aren't really gods they're just some higher form of "human" probably with more power than the rest.

also since religion can give balls arguments which aren't convincing at all so can I

Last 2 of your points are pretty much the God of the Gaps argument
a punishment for the parents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending