The Student Room Group

Aiming to do a park run

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexion
That's the advantage of a circuit, there's a physical distance to cover before you're done :yep:

Just tried to do 5k. I ended up doing 4.59k. Must have messed up the plan at home. It took me 35:32

Pace info

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Just tried to do 5k. I ended up doing 4.59k. Must have messed up the plan at home. It took me 35:32

Whoops. Logistical mistake? Wrong turn?

I'll do my 6k circuit tomorrow and let ya know how that goes (I'm very unfit so it won't be anything impressive lol)
Original post by Alexion
Whoops. Logistical mistake? Wrong turn?

I'll do my 6k circuit tomorrow and let ya know how that goes (I'm very unfit so it won't be anything impressive lol)

Could be that I used a car thing at home and I cover less distance while running. Or wrong turn as you suggest. I understand the walking but looking at the pace info, it seems I drop to a slow pace quite a few times. Need to work on that I guess.

Pace info 2.0

(edited 8 years ago)

Doesn't that only work for vehicles? :dontknow:
I doubt humans running have much of a slipstream due to the lack of sufficient velocity.

It's mostly just a psychological pull but I'm sure it makes a slight differences to energy used as you're averaging around 10mph ish.
You could use the website walkjogrun to plan routes. It's brilliant and free to use from what I remember :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heyo

So I'd like to do at least one 5k parkrun later this year in a decent amount of time. I'm very unfit.

I'll be working on my cardio fitness mainly on the treadmill. I will be happy with 15-30 minute 5ks. When I get to that point, does anyone have a suggestion of a training plan to follow to go from treadmill to irl?

Irl running is much harder but at the same time, I don't think I would have to regress to something like the beginning of C25K. Any suggestions?

If you are at the point of being able to run 30 minutes on a treadmill hen you'll be fine running a 30 minute 5k outside.

You will not be last at 30 minutes. I've ran a few parkruns and volunteered at about 15 events. Slowest time is usually around 40 minutes which is a fast walking pace.

If you're unsure, find your local parkrun event, check their results and see when the last place person usually arrives.

I don't know what your current plan for increasing run lengths/fitness is. I'll recomend C2~5K which you mentioned but you're aware already.

Advice at parkrun is chat to people, Say you're aiming on 30/35 minutes and find old people with 50/100 jerseys on that are aiming for the same since they'll know how to pace themselves properly.
If you run a 5k in 15 minutes you may even come first place depending on who shows up, at my local parkrun the last stragglers normally come in at around an hour and a huge group are around the 30 minute mark.
Original post by Motorbiker
If you are at the point of being able to run 30 minutes on a treadmill hen you'll be fine running a 30 minute 5k outside.

You will not be last at 30 minutes. I've ran a few parkruns and volunteered at about 15 events. Slowest time is usually around 40 minutes which is a fast walking pace.

If you're unsure, find your local parkrun event, check their results and see when the last place person usually arrives.

Advice at parkrun is chat to people, Say you're aiming on 30/35 minutes and find old people with 50/100 jerseys on that are aiming for the same since they'll know how to pace themselves properly.

Hi Motorbiker, thank you for your reply. It's an honour to have you comment on one of my Fitness threads.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to do 30minute 5ks outside. My legs have been heavy and I end up having to walk after jogging.
I went out three times last week and listed the stuff here.

Tuesday I covered 4.59km in 35:32 with an average pace of 7.7kph (39 minute 5k)
Thursday I covered 6.1km in 49:11 with an average pace of 8kph (37.5 minute 5k)
Saturday I covered 4.4km in 30:00 with an average pace of 8.8kph (34 minute 5k)

I think when I break for a walk, my legs get so tired that I'm unable to power walk. I've finally found the scoreboard and the slowest people are 49 minutes.

Fair enough. Thanks :smile: for the tip. I wimped out of going last Saturday. I think I'll just wait till my friend is able to do it in month but in terms of after that, your pacers comment makes sense. My pacing is awful.
Original post by Music With Rocks
If you run a 5k in 15 minutes you may even come first place depending on who shows up, at my local parkrun the last stragglers normally come in at around an hour and a huge group are around the 30 minute mark.
I quoted a huge range because I'm not sure what I could reasonable aim for but I doubt I can ever run a sub 15 minute 5k. At a minimum, I would want to do a 20 something minute one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alexion
Post here when you do a parkrun

I did it today. My time was 35:43 I was 410th overall (out of 443) and 256th male.

I wasn't last but as I thought, I did and placed awfully.

I was doing well for 15 minutes and had lapped the slowest people but then I began to walk-run for the next 5. Spent awhile slowly walking and then started walk-running for the remainder.

But I enjoyed the experience and it's something I'd like to do semi-regularly :h:.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did it today. My time was 35:43 I was 410th overall (out of 443) and 256th male.

I was doing well for 15 minutes and had lapped the slowest people but then I began to walk-run for the next 5. Spent awhile slowly walking and then started walk-running for the remainder.

But I enjoyed the experience and it's something I'd like to do semi-regularly :h:.

Eyyyyy i did 5K today too for the park run thingy and i got place 257/ ???(near last most likely)
time was 35.18 but dam my course is hilly and your legs want to commit suicide once you look at the incline of 90°
Congrats bro

Nice work. The improvement will come in leaps and bounds. Excited for you.
Original post by thefatone
Eyyyyy i did 5K today too for the park run thingy and i got place 257/ ???(near last most likely)
time was 35.18 but dam my course is hilly and your legs want to commit suicide once you look at the incline of 90°

Thankfully mine's flat phew. And good on you :smile:. Improvement from last time?

Original post by Angry cucumber
Congrats bro

Ta AC.

Original post by rockrunride
Nice work. The improvement will come in leaps and bounds. Excited for you.

Thank you :h:. I'm glad I went. It was fun.
Thankfully mine's flat phew. And good on you :smile:. Improvement from last time?

o.o i envy your course so much, i don't know why but the way the do the course at the park run i do, they make it as hilly as possible, if i did the thing in reverse i'd say it's less hilly by about 200% at least

no improvement :/
Congrats on the good efforts last week!

Anyone go again this morning?
Original post by Motorbiker
Congrats on the good efforts last week!

Anyone go again this morning?

Nope. but I did do it in 34:09 today so improved by 1:34 :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Nope. but I did do it in 34:09 today so improved by 1:34 :h:

Awesome progress.

Posted from TSR Mobile