The Student Room Group

Mergers and Acquisitions vs Sales and Trading

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axlerod
This might seem like a stupid question but you know how you get training when you're hired, do you get that same training on an internship before you start or are you expected to know the ins and outs?

internship training - a week
grad training - 6 weeks or so
Reply 41
Original post by gr8wizard10
internship training - a week
grad training - 6 weeks or so

what did you learn during your internship training and did you have any previous knowledge of any of the things you learnt during this training?
Reply 42
S&T so far for me..but still on edge... From what iv experienced the atmosphere is awesome + The movement of algo and electronic trading sounds particularly interesting but everything about S&T 👌 Needless to say hours seem alot more manageable, so able to have atleast a couple side projects going at the same time - large factor.

Just can't put my finger on it for some reason...👆

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by A47
S&T so far for me..but still on edge... From what iv experienced the atmosphere is awesome + The movement of algo and electronic trading sounds particularly interesting but everything about S&T 👌 Needless to say hours seem alot more manageable, so able to have atleast a couple side projects going at the same time - large factor.

Just can't put my finger on it for some reason...👆

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only thing that worries me about it is what if my PnL is not good enough, very performance dependent I reckon
Original post by studos
but it's still front office!
what are the differences in pay

IBD pays more for the average guy but you'd need to work like 80 hours a week and some weeks it's 100 hours. For trading it's usually 60-70 hours a week. Plus it highly spends on what you find more interesting. The work you'll be doing is very different, it's like comparing apples and oranges. So do the one you're interested in, not just the one that pays the most.
Original post by Axlerod
what did you learn during your internship training and did you have any previous knowledge of any of the things you learnt during this training?

i didn't do it, it was penultimate years ago did it, my first week I was trained on my specific desk. I knew about fixed income markets theoretically, so was just given a book on derivatives & the actualities of how these markets move which was just a bit more complexity added to theory, whilst developing my own knowledge through implementing what I learnt on excel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending