The Student Room Group

Can't trust anyone.

I think I need help. I don't feel any emotions towards other people. People who may consider me as their friend don't know that I don't consider them to be anything to me. I feel as though whenever you let someone get close to you the only thing theyre going to do is betray me at the end of the day.
I think it's because my girlfriend for 1 and a half years broke up with me in December and ever since then I just don't feel anything towards anybody anymore. Do i need to go see a doctor or somat cuz I have no idea.

Scroll to see replies

its ur mind's defence mechanism to having your trust broken
Original post by HuzaifahN
I think I need help. I don't feel any emotions towards other people. People who may consider me as their friend don't know that I don't consider them to be anything to me. I feel as though whenever you let someone get close to you the only thing theyre going to do is betray me at the end of the day.
I think it's because my girlfriend for 1 and a half years broke up with me in December and ever since then I just don't feel anything towards anybody anymore. Do i need to go see a doctor or somat cuz I have no idea.

Depression, you'll get over it.
Imo yes you could go and talk to a counselor about trust issues. Its just hitting the right balance.
Reply 4
Original post by bluemadhatter
its ur mind's defence mechanism to having your trust broken

How long do ya think till i'll start to feel normal again?
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Imo yes you could go and talk to a counselor about trust issues. Its just hitting the right balance.

What do you mean by hitting the right balance?
Reply 6
No, this is not something u go see a doctor for
what u got to understand is that teenage (or young adult) relationships can sometimes end unexpectedly and leave us feeling depressed like its the end of the world but really you're young and theres plenty of other ppl out there just as good as her if not better. Get over it and get a move on and find the right girl who will make u happy in life.
this cold hearted emotionless thing is just a phase. Im telling u
What do you mean by hitting the right balance?

If you never trust anyone then that can be counterproductive and it stops you developing because you never bond in that way. Its nice to be able to trust people, but ofc they have to deliver and be trustworthy.

If you trust everyone, then you are going to get let down and hurt a lot becayse plenty of people are unreliable or genuinely untrustworthy. That means you getting into worse situations becayse they lied or were unreliable.

Balance is finding the level at which you cna trust and get benefit, but dont over or underdo it thereby avoiding the pitfalls.
Reply 8
If you never trust anyone then that can be counterproductive and it stops you developing because you never bond in that way. Its nice to be able to trust people, but ofc they have to deliver and be trustworthy.

If you trust everyone, then you are going to get let down and hurt a lot becayse plenty of people are unreliable or genuinely untrustworthy. That means you getting into worse situations becayse they lied or were unreliable.

Balance is finding the level at which you cna trust and get benefit, but dont over or underdo it thereby avoiding the pitfalls.

Thats the best piece of advice ive had. Thanks alot mate. :biggrin:.
Reply 9

This
Reply 10
Thats the best piece of advice ive had. Thanks alot mate. :biggrin:.

awwww what about my advice ???:s-smilie::frown:
Ok if you wnat me to continue on with that and make it more practical.

If you dont trust anyone and have gone to the extreme then that can do you harm. You meet a new girl but seem extremely untrusting. Not good for you as you constantly think people will let you down and that creates stress. You then change your behaviour and instead of getting on as a happy chap with your new girl she notices you are stressed, closed off and feels uncomfy about it. That makes you less attractive as a friend/bf as she wants someone who trusts her (especially if she's done nothing wrong) and she can trust in return. Mistrust can protect you, but overdo it and it damages. Caution is fine.
Reply 12
Original post by MevMev
awwww what about my advice ???:s-smilie::frown:

Haha. Well your advice is really good toooooooo. Ya made me laugh. XD.
Reply 13
Haha. Well your advice is really good toooooooo. Ya made me laugh. XD.

then i did my job well haha
u should surround yourself with ppl like me who can get u out of your depressed phase.with their awesome banter ... now that is the best advice on this thread :cool::cool:
How old are you OP?
Depending on your age it could be natural.
Reply 15
Ok if you wnat me to continue on with that and make it more practical.

If you dont trust anyone and have gone to the extreme then that can do you harm. You meet a new girl but seem extremely untrusting. Not good for you as you constantly think people will let you down and that creates stress. You then change your behaviour and instead of getting on as a happy chap with your new girl she notices you are stressed, closed off and feels uncomfy about it. That makes you less attractive as a friend/bf as she wants someone who trusts her (especially if she's done nothing wrong) and she can trust in return. Mistrust can protect you, but overdo it and it damages. Caution is fine.

But the thing is all relationships end up breaking anyway. One person always betrays the other or one loves the other more than the other. Thats a feeling that I don't want to experience again though.
Reply 16
Original post by ripjonsnow
How old are you OP?
Depending on your age it could be natural.

19 so im well old.
Reply 17
Original post by MevMev
then i did my job well haha
u should surround yourself with ppl like me who can get u out of your depressed phase.with their awesome banter ... now that is the best advice on this thread :cool::cool:

Haha init. The thing is youve got too much swag for me to handle. Dont think I can cope with it yknow.
But the thing is all relationships end up breaking anyway. One person always betrays the other or one loves the other more than the other. Thats a feeling that I don't want to experience again though.

Thats the risk you take. We all take.

It doesnt have to be betrayal, they can end for all sorts of reasons and you ralise you change or you arent suited becayse you wnat different things.

If you have mistrust, which is out of proportion you never engage with the other person and causes your relationship to be stunded, weaker and brittle. You have to take the chance imo of showing goodwill, affection and tolerance to someone you care about. You cant do that without trust as its an aspect of intimacy.
Reply 19
Haha init. The thing is youve got too much swag for me to handle. Dont think I can cope with it yknow.

uh bruhh its spelt "sweg" not swag srs grammar check needed there
haha IVE got too much sweg? thats saying something wow ex girlfriend must have been Dead :X jks don't kill me haha

Quick Reply

Latest