The Student Room Group

If there is a god, why are some people born disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
But you haven't tried not existing!

That's a dichotomy as you can't experience not existing.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
In b4 "life is a test" even though there are some people who due to mental disability wouldn't even have the thinking capacity to understand this test.

I realised you were an atheist ages ago....
That's a dichotomy as you can't experience not existing.

Yes. But you can imagine it like you imagine sleep or even better unconsciousness (no dreaming of course). Close your eyes for one moment and open them up the next. Under atheist logic, that seems to be what not existing is like. Except of course, you don't drift between existence and non-existence like consciousness and unconsciousness.

Spoiler

Original post by thefatone
being not all knowing and not all powerful and no sympathy towards humans, liking humans to suffer all tells me these being/s aren't really gods they're just some higher form of "human" probably with more power than the rest.

also since religion can give balls arguments which aren't convincing at all so can I

Last 2 of your points are pretty much the God of the Gaps argument

Look up the definition of god. They don't have to have complete power or knowledge or have morality: they merely have to have much more power than humans.

Yep.

No, they're not. The penultimate one is saying that god(gods) has(have) nothing to do with the phenomenon(the opposite of God of the Gaps). The last one could be seen as such, but I meant it in a more general way.
Yes. But you can imagine it like you imagine sleep or even better unconsciousness (no dreaming of course). Close your eyes for one moment and open them up the next. Under atheist logic, that seems to be what not existing is like. Except of course, you don't drift between existence and non-existence like consciousness and unconsciousness.

Spoiler

Yes, I can imagine it just by thinking of what it was like before being born, but I don't personally see much appeal to it. It's likely that non-existence will follow death anyway so may as well enjoy existing and living now that we have the chance.
If they prayed they'd be able to walk again.

They need to quit trying to leg it.
Yes, I can imagine it just by thinking of what it was like before being born, but I don't personally see much appeal to it. It's likely that non-existence will follow death anyway so may as well enjoy existing and living now that we have the chance.

So... if you were unhappy (not depressed), you would commit suicide given the chance?
I swear I'll never understand religious people
I don't understand how people can belive in/support/justify actions of their god.

I don't understand how people of any faith can worship and believe that their god is a creator of everything whilst there is so much pain and suffering in the world? How can you believe in a God when there is awful things happening and how can you believe God would let this happen? What kind of God lets people go through living hell? I don't understand it but I know many people of different religions find comfort in God and I'm not trying to be rude, I genuinley just want to understand. I know I may sound ignorant and I don't mean to be, I really want to understand.

But I just don't understand, I have seen so much pain and suffering in the lives of the people around me and we all hear about terrible stuff going on in other places. I personally don't believe in God however I know many people do and I respect that but how can you justify this world? Why would God let these bad things happen?
(edited 7 years ago)
Cos God ain't real, that's why.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
God.

The whole concept? Iirc Stephen Hawking said something along the line "Similar how you can't go further north of the north pole..." there's the inevitable limit to how much we can know.
Original post by Sunshine2305
I don't understand how people can belive in/support/justify actions of their god.

I don't understand how people of any faith can worship and believe that their god is a creator of everything whilst there is so much pain and suffering in the world? How can you believe in a God when there is awful things happening and how can you believe God would let this happen? What kind of God lets people go through living hell? I don't understand it but I know many people of different religions find comfort in God and I'm not trying to be rude, I genuinley just want to understand. I know I may sound ignorant and I don't mean to be, I really want to understand.

But I just don't understand, I have seen so much pain and suffering in the lives of the people around me and we all here about terrible stuff going on in other places. I personally don't believe in God however I know many people do and I respect that but how can you justify this world? Why would God let these bad things happen?

Look at the atheist side for a second. People who live a life hungry and diseased won't get salvation in the afterlife. They were simply unlucky to be born like this...
Original post by morgan8002
Look up the definition of god. They don't have to have complete power or knowledge or have morality: they merely have to have much more power than humans.

Yep.

No, they're not. The penultimate one is saying that god(gods) has(have) nothing to do with the phenomenon(the opposite of God of the Gaps). The last one could be seen as such, but I meant it in a more general way.

(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
this is what google tells me so i don't know where you got your definition from....

what would that be?
there is a gap in true knowledge of why people are allowed to be disabled to be born into this world, thus you have covered up by saying that they could serve some other purpose to the god/s
a kind god i'm sure wouldn't let disable children be born, he'd let the have a better life and be born later with no disability
So... if you were unhappy (not depressed), you would commit suicide given the chance?

No..

Look at the atheist side for a second. People who live a life hungry and diseased won't get salvation in the afterlife. They were simply unlucky to be born like this...

Some things are unfair. That's not proof that there will be some reward or compensation, it's just wishful thinking.

"
My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? If the whole show was bad and senseless from A to Z, so to speak, why did I, who was supposed to be part of the show, find myself in such violent reaction against it? A man feels wet when he falls into water, because man is not a water animal: a fish would not feel wet. Of course I could have given up my idea of justice by saying it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if I did that, then my argument against God collapsed too—for the argument depended on saying that the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my fancies. Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist—in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless—I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality—namely my idea of justice—was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be a word without meaning."C.S. Lewis,
Original post by george_c00per
Cos God ain't real, that's why.

This guy knows.
Original post by not_lucas1
This guy knows.

Gotta be blunt with the religious folk sometimes, you know.
No..

But wouldn't that defeat your point about how your enjoying life so you wouldn't prefer non-existence?

Some things are unfair. That's not proof that there will be some reward or compensation, it's just wishful thinking.

It's not and I didn't say it was proof. They asked a question on why believe in God if there is suffering. So I gave an answer on how God and suffering can be compatible.
Science can explain most disabilities e.g Genes could be the cause
But wouldn't that defeat your point about how your enjoying life so you wouldn't prefer non-existence.

I'm not sure you've understood what I've been saying. I wouldn't commit suicide because I like life in all its variety: the good and the bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending