The Student Room Group

I feel stuck in my degree

I'm midway (2/3) into a mechanical engineering degree and I don't really like it that much. I wish I had decided between either Law or Maths but especially Maths because I still like it a lot....
I like Law a lot too but I have no academic background in it either.

I didn't actually choose to do the maths degree out of fear for it being too hard and I feel like I've made the wrong decision.

What do I do now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
I'm midway (2/3) into a mechanical engineering degree and I don't really like it that much. I wish I had decided between either Law or Maths but especially Maths because I still like it a lot....

I didn't actually choose to do the maths degree out of fear for it being too hard and I feel like I've made the wrong decision.

What do I do now?

Could you possibly transfer at the end of this year?
Original post by imaninja
Could you possibly transfer at the end of this year?

But I'll have to start from scratch ie year 1.

This is a totally natural feeling bro! Engineering is hard (i know), you're almost there don't give up!
Since you're doing engineering, could you maybe ask your current uni if you could switch to maths (into second year rather than first so you dont lose funding?).

finish this degree and then go do what you like.
don't waste what you've already started.
Original post by alkaline.
finish this degree and then go do what you like.
don't waste what you've already started.

I feel like this degree has already drained my mental capacity and that I don't want to stay in school anymore. I just want to get out. I'm desiring to do another degree while hating uni. It's very confusing I know.
get good grades and then you can do the one year GDL for law. that will put you on a par with a law degree.
Original post by LiquidGold
Since you're doing engineering, could you maybe ask your current uni if you could switch to maths (into second year rather than first so you dont lose funding?).

I'll be behind everyone. I've only done 3 maths modules, 4 if you count dynamics when they would've covered all of that and more in the first year.
Original post by trapking
This is a totally natural feeling bro! Engineering is hard (i know), you're almost there don't give up!

Yeah it's hard but I felt like maths would be harder hence I chose engineering which was definitely the WRONG decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it's hard but I felt like maths would be harder hence I chose engineering which was definitely the WRONG decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how youre feeling is natural for an engineering degree....

i know you will feel like wtf i still have SO much work to do+tonnes of exams coming (im actually doing work rn as i type this lol ik its hell but we are nearly there) :tongue:
I think there is actually BA Law with Maths. It depends on a few things, is it worth it? another 3yrs and you might possibly hate the math/law course. The fees are going up after this year (probably). What do you want to do after uni, your engineering degree might lead to a math/law career path?
Reply 12

What do I do now?

2/3 of the way you have no real choice but to continue imo.
Reply 13

What do I do now?

Are there some more interesting option modules in Year 3 to keep you going? And maybe you could do a mathematically-heavy project.
(edited 7 years ago)

What do I do now?

How are your grades? Are you averaging a 2.1 or higher?

Is this a fleeting feeling because you're doing exams etc and are therefore focusing long periods of time on your degree, or have you felt like this for the entirety of your degree so far?

You are nearly there with this degree. I would suggest sticking it out, you are one year away from finishing. I doubt there are many jobs you would need a maths degree for that you couldn't also do with an engineering degree, and if you want to do law you can either take the conversion course or the 2 year graduate LLB. It would be a shame to waste your 2 years of hard work. Might be a good idea to try to focus on getting through the end of this year if you haven't already, enjoy your summer and don't think about your work etc and then see how you feel in the autumn. I think it's very easy to feel sick of your subject around exams because it just takes over your life but you're so close to getting your degree!

[e] Also, as someone who did law - trust me, it's no different in terms of feeling like you're just completely living and breathing law haha
Original post by jneill
Are there some more interesting option modules in Year 3 to keep you interested? And maybe you could do a mathematically-heavy project.

I'm listening. What sort of projects are there that are more mathematically heavy than usual? Because most of the good ones have lots of maths in them. *This is exciting* :biggrin:
Reply 16
I can totally relate to you. And you are not alone! I was so surprised when I found out only this year how many of my coursemates actually hate engineering.

I've been studying Electronic Engineering, I'm about to graduate this July and I never ever want to get an engineering job. My advice is to just finish your degree, and you can apply to pretty much any job after, make sure you volunteer and get some other skills.

To be honest, although I hate engineering, I feel so proud of myself that I made it so far and got good grades in one of the hardest courses.

You can always apply for a masters or a PGCE Maths.
Original post by y0_3mma
I'm about to graduate this July and I never ever want to get an engineering job. My advice is to just finish your degree, and you can apply to pretty much any job after, make sure you volunteer and get some other skills.

To be honest, although I hate engineering

Very big mistake. Studying engineering is entirely different from working as an actual engineer....

Having visited a few companies it sparked my interest again....do not put off the career until you have actually tried it!
Original post by trapking
Very big mistake. Studying engineering is entirely different from working as an actual engineer....

Having visited a few companies it sparked my interest again....do not put off the career until you have actually tried it!

I don't want an engineering job. Idk what I was thinking when I chose this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by y0_3mma
I can totally relate to you. And you are not alone! I was so surprised when I found out only this year how many of my coursemates actually hate engineering.

I've been studying Electronic Engineering, I'm about to graduate this July and I never ever want to get an engineering job. My advice is to just finish your degree, and you can apply to pretty much any job after, make sure you volunteer and get some other skills.

To be honest, although I hate engineering, I feel so proud of myself that I made it so far and got good grades in one of the hardest courses.

You can always apply for a masters or a PGCE Maths.

I don't think they'd admit me to a maths master program having done so little maths at undergrad. Also the PGCE isn't for teaching? I'm not interested in that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest