The Student Room Group

Pensioner, 77, told mother in hijab: 'You look like you're about to b0mb the place'

Scroll to see replies

This country is so quick to bow down to Islam, it's actually disgusting
It's a disgusting form of abuse namely because it is such an ignorant thing to say. Even if it was said in a joking matter, people need to be better informed.
Original post by CarlTheCuck
Gays that defend Islam are beyond me, it's like a Jew supporting a Nazi

How can you even begin to compare Muslims to Nazis? And my sexuality does not even come into my thought process on this issue. You are doing exactly what Hitler did at the beginning of his rise to power in Germany and that's possibly the most ironic about this entire situation. You are essential labelling and condemning an entire sector of society for the actions of few, and fuelling hatred against them out of fear, confusion and a need to explain the things that are happening in the world.
Original post by infairverona

I see no body bowing down to 'Islam'. If you think telling a woman she's wrong for calling a woman a terrorist simply for being muslim is an example of 'bowing down to Islam' then you ought to see somebody quickly.
Original post by -Sharif
How they shove local religion's laws down everyone's throat here,same should be done to these people and they had it coming anyway (Though I understand it's a Islam runned country here)

"Islam run country" - you have got to be kidding me?

We're a nation of cucks, like our friend Carl
Original post by ivybridge
I see no body bowing down to 'Islam'. If you think telling a woman she's wrong for calling a woman a terrorist simply for being muslim is an example of 'bowing down to Islam' then you ought to see somebody quickly.

It's not worthy of a criminal offence.
Reply 67
Original post by sandybridge
"Islam run country" - you have got to be kidding me?

Islamic system would be a better word I guess,don't know if sharia law or something is the right word,so didn't want to use it
PS referring to SA-KSA
I honestly wonder how scum like this react when they go to hospital and get a Muslim doctor.
It's not worthy of a criminal offence.

Yes it is. It's racial profiling, religious and racial hatred and also, kind of a form of harassment. This is somebody the woman did not even know. It was completely out of line. These attitudes can cause a lot of harm and are just making it more difficult to keep the peace, keep things moving, and to help people integrate. It is best to nip it in the but; the media is blowing it up massively.
Yes it is. It's racial profiling, religious and racial hatred and also, kind of a form of harassment. This is somebody the woman did not even know. It was completely out of line. These attitudes can cause a lot of harm and are just making it more difficult to keep the peace, keep things moving, and to help people integrate. It is best to nip it in the but; the media is blowing it up massively.

How is it racial profiling? I haven't read anything saying what race the person was, just that she was wearing a hijab. Islam is a not a race, there are various 'colours' of people who are Muslim. Black people are often Muslim as well as varying Asian skin tones. It's nothing to do with race, it's because she was wearing a hijab. Racial hatred should not be a crime, we're no longer allowed to criticise Islam and that is very dangerous. It might have been out of line, but I don't think it's worthy of a crime.
How is it racial profiling? I haven't read anything saying what race the person was, just that she was wearing a hijab. Islam is a not a race, there are various 'colours' of people who are Muslim. Black people are often Muslim as well as varying Asian skin tones. It's nothing to do with race, it's because she was wearing a hijab. Racial hatred should not be a crime, we're no longer allowed to criticise Islam and that is very dangerous. It might have been out of line, but I don't think it's worthy of a crime.

Okay, so, you are telling me that this woman assuming she is a terrorist because she's middle eastern and wearing a hijab is not racial profiling? That is the epitome of it! Islam is a religion, not a race, correct. However, it's like Israelis coming here - most people assume they are Jewish. And the same thing goes for Middle Eastern people - people are assuming they are Muslims.

Racial hatred should not be a crime? Seriously, the utter ******** opinions people in this country are coming out with is so damn concerning. Do you understand the actual damage racial hatred has done in recent history? Unbelievable; I cannot actually take you seriously.
Okay, so, you are telling me that this woman assuming she is a terrorist because she's middle eastern and wearing a hijab is not racial profiling? That is the epitome of it! Islam is a religion, not a race, correct. However, it's like Israelis coming here - most people assume they are Jewish. And the same thing goes for Middle Eastern people - people are assuming they are Muslims.

Racial hatred should not be a crime? Seriously, the utter ******** opinions people in this country are coming out with is so damn concerning. Do you understand the actual damage racial hatred has done in recent history? Unbelievable; I cannot actually take you seriously.

Again, where are you getting that she's middle eastern? She could've been a white Muslim and someone could still have said that to her. It's nothing about race, it's about the religion itself. If you wear a hijab it's pretty obvious you're a Muslim so it's nothing about racial profiling there.

No I don't think it should be a crime. Particularly not when it's a religion as damaging as Islam. I can't take you seriously considering you're defending a religion that hates gay people and you say you're gay.
Reply 73
Original post by Youngmetro
You've assumed that the issue here is actually the reference to race. It is just the general nonchalent attitude whereby people think something isnt abuse. The general attitude where something totally irrelevant is picked upon when it doesnt fit the TSR non muslim agenda. Shame on you for saying that I assumed all muslims are brown, your brought that on yourself.
You claimed that anti-Muslim bigotry was racism. Therefore you must be making the assumption that all Muslims are of a race that is non-white/British.
That, in itself, is a bigoted attitude.
Reply 74
Original post by JordanL_
I honestly wonder how scum like this react when they go to hospital and get a Muslim doctor.
Possibly in the same way that some Muslims react when they get a male/female doctor.

Unacceptably.
Original post by QE2
You claimed that anti-Muslim bigotry was racism. Therefore you must be making the assumption that all Muslims are of a race that is non-white/British.
That, in itself, is a bigoted attitude.

You've totally and outright ignored the post, you yourself came to that assumption. I did not say anything about colour or anything like that. Read it and try again.

And anyway an anti muslim bigotry doesnt have to be from non white/british person so you yourself hold a bigoted attitude. Ironic really.
Reply 76
Original post by Youngmetro
You've totally and outright ignored the post, you yourself came to that assumption. I did not say anything about colour or anything like that. Read it and try again.
You challenged posters who asked how anti-Muslim bigotry was racist. Some of us are grown-up enough to understand subtext and inferral.

And anyway an anti muslim bigotry doesnt have to be from non white/british person so you yourself hold a bigoted attitude. Ironic really.
This doesn't make sense.
Again, where are you getting that she's middle eastern? She could've been a white Muslim and someone could still have said that to her. It's nothing about race, it's about the religion itself. If you wear a hijab it's pretty obvious you're a Muslim so it's nothing about racial profiling there.

No I don't think it should be a crime. Particularly not when it's a religion as damaging as Islam. I can't take you seriously considering you're defending a religion that hates gay people and you say you're gay.

I am getting it from the news articles which feature photos of the woman such as The Sun, as linked. To be perfectly honest with you, it shouldn't matter whether race has anything to do with it. The lady's religion has something to do with it as well as mass stereotyping. A select group of muslims have decided to blow up various parts of the world and 'we' think it's okay to criticise all muslims and condemn them all as terrorists? Utter tosh. Why are we not condemning the Irish because of the IRA? A group which, by the way, caused widespread panic, more so than ISIS or al-Qaeda have done in this country. It's simply ridiculous and you're using this free speech drivel as a smokescreen for your point of view. Many muslims do not follow every facet of Islam, especially those in this country. The same goes for Christians. I know many muslims who have supported me unreservedly for being gay whilst Christians and atheists have bullied, mocked, or even been violent to me. Their religion does not mark them as being eligible to receive abuse or criticism. You may have your opinion about Islam and keep it or discuss it in a proper way. This woman did not criticise Islam, she criticised a muslim woman through an association with terrorism.

All religions are damaging - they all suck. But the world is not ending. Islam has been here longer than Christianity or most other religions. Get over it already and stop sucking up to what the media and your mummy and daddy are telling you to think about the events you are reading or watching stories about. I am defending the basic right to go and do your shopping with your kids without abuse for the way you look, the way you dress and the religion you follow. It is not acceptable. Muslims under attack at the moment in this country have a lot in common with how black people were treated in America, and still are in the Southern States to an extent, and how gay people have been treated internationally. Two wrongs do not make a right. I am defending the individual, not the concept of Islam.
I am getting it from the news articles which feature photos of the woman such as The Sun, as linked. To be perfectly honest with you, it shouldn't matter whether race has anything to do with it. The lady's religion has something to do with it as well as mass stereotyping. A select group of muslims have decided to blow up various parts of the world and 'we' think it's okay to criticise all muslims and condemn them all as terrorists? Utter tosh. Why are we not condemning the Irish because of the IRA? A group which, by the way, caused widespread panic, more so than ISIS or al-Qaeda have done in this country. It's simply ridiculous and you're using this free speech drivel as a smokescreen for your point of view. Many muslims do not follow every facet of Islam, especially those in this country. The same goes for Christians. I know many muslims who have supported me unreservedly for being gay whilst Christians and atheists have bullied, mocked, or even been violent to me. Their religion does not mark them as being eligible to receive abuse or criticism. You may have your opinion about Islam and keep it or discuss it in a proper way. This woman did not criticise Islam, she criticised a muslim woman through an association with terrorism.

All religions are damaging - they all suck. But the world is not ending. Islam has been here longer than Christianity or most other religions. Get over it already and stop sucking up to what the media and your mummy and daddy are telling you to think about the events you are reading or watching stories about. I am defending the basic right to go and do your shopping with your kids without abuse for the way you look, the way you dress and the religion you follow. It is not acceptable. Muslims under attack at the moment in this country have a lot in common with how black people were treated in America, and still are in the Southern States to an extent, and how gay people have been treated internationally. Two wrongs do not make a right. I am defending the individual, not the concept of Islam.

tldr. I don't think anyone should be afraid of criticising any religion and Islam in my view, having extensively studied world religions, is most worthy of that criticism. To prosecute someone for making an offensive comment towards Islam which would very most likely not be prosecuted for Christianity, or any other religion really, is extremely dangerous.
How can you even begin to compare Muslims to Nazis? And my sexuality does not even come into my thought process on this issue. You are doing exactly what Hitler did at the beginning of his rise to power in Germany and that's possibly the most ironic about this entire situation. You are essential labelling and condemning an entire sector of society for the actions of few, and fuelling hatred against them out of fear, confusion and a need to explain the things that are happening in the world.

I think the analogy he's actually going for is that a homosexual defending Islam is like a Jew defending Nazism, in the sense that it's defending an ideology that would quite happily see you killed. Though I think it's a bit of a suspect comparison to make, he's not wrong that there's an inherent irony in people (typically lefties) championing the rights of LGBTQ etc and then also constantly pandering to Islam, a religion which treats those exact groups worse than pretty much any other religion currently does (which is saying something, given how awfully pretty much every religious institution behaves towards them).

WIth regards this story, it's a bit of a nonsense. I mean, it's been said by a septuagenarian who's from a completely different time, when we didn't have any of this political correctness stuff. There's a world of difference between this sort of comment coming from a group of 20 somethings who are built like brick shithouses in an intimidating manner, and a pottering old granny who is hardly a threat to anyone. I mean, I find it fairly hard to believe that anyone could have any actual distress caused from such an incident. If anything, it's laughable. 'You look like you're about to bomb the place' sounds like something I'd say to my Muslim mate as a joke, it's not exactly incendiary is it?

Laws around slander seem to me a pretty slippery slope, especially with this rising tide of apologeticism. I mean, it's just a bit ridiculous. What sort of a precedent does this set? Is any form of slander now a criminal offense, or just ones pertaining to religion? What about slander against other groups, like feminists, or Tories, or Scousers? Who gets this kind of protection, and who doesn't? Cause in a similar vein, anyone who makes a joke about Scousers nicking the tyres off your car should be charged with a similar offense surely?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending