The Student Room Group

If there is a god, why are some people born disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm not sure you've understood what I've been saying. I wouldn't commit suicide because I like life in all its variety: the good and the bad.

There's hardly any good for people who suffer such as those starving. Would you, if you were in they're place, want to not exist?
Original post by thefatone
(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
this is what google tells me so i don't know where you got your definition from....

what would that be?
there is a gap in true knowledge of why people are allowed to be disabled to be born into this world, thus you have covered up by saying that they could serve some other purpose to the god/s
a kind god i'm sure wouldn't let disable children be born, he'd let the have a better life and be born later with no disability

Google also says "(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.". If you combine the two you get what I mean.

The existence of people with disabilities.
It's not the same as saying there's something we don't understand therefore god, which is what is usually meant by God of the gaps. We understand(for the most part) why people have disabilities in the absence of a god. It's naive to think that we reason in the same way as a god, so we could think of every justification that they might have.
Maybe they decrease greater suffering in some indirect way. That wouldn't work for an omnipotent god, but maybe a kind non-omnipotent god would allow it if it somehow caused more good than evil. But yeah, there can't be an all knowing omnipotent god that fits your definition of kind.
Original post by morgan8002
Google also says "(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.". If you combine the two you get what I mean.

The existence of people with disabilities.
It's not the same as saying there's something we don't understand therefore god, which is what is usually meant by God of the gaps. We understand(for the most part) why people have disabilities in the absence of a god. It's naive to think that we reason in the same way as a god, so we could think of every justification that they might have.
Maybe they decrease greater suffering in some indirect way. That wouldn't work for an omnipotent god, but maybe a kind non-omnipotent god would allow it if it somehow caused more good than evil. But yeah, there can't be an all knowing omnipotent god that fits your definition of kind.

Well it really depends what religion we're talking about though xD

an omniscient, omnipotent god cannot exist. However my definition of kind is different to what i'd call a kind god(kinda mixing my opinion and argument here xD)
Because God has put them there as a test

Posted from TSR Mobile
This type of question always makes me laugh, see how creative people can be in coming up with excuses.
Reply 125
Original post by ticker1212
Because God has put them there as a test

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh **** is it too late to revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it really depends what religion we're talking about though xD

an omniscient, omnipotent god cannot exist. However my definition of kind is different to what i'd call a kind god(kinda mixing my opinion and argument here xD)

Yeah I'm just talking generally, without thinking about any religion in particular.

A non-kind omniscient, omnipotent god could exist, unless you want to add an argument to say why it can't. What do you mean by your definition of kind being different from what you'd call a kind god? Well any argument based on benevolence or kindness depends on your own moral values and what you consider to be kind, so your opinion can't be separated from the argument itself.
Yeah I'm just talking generally, without thinking about any religion in particular.

A non-kind omniscient, omnipotent god could exist, unless you want to add an argument to say why it can't. What do you mean by your definition of kind being different from what you'd call a kind god? Well any argument based on benevolence or kindness depends on your own moral values and what you consider to be kind, so your opinion can't be separated from the argument itself.

This is what i'm saying can't exist. For example let's go for a cliché one. God can't feed all the children in Africa thus he's not omnipotent however he may know about it but not be powerful enough to do anything about it. However he could also feed all those children in Africa however there may be other hungry children in other parts of the world he may not know about thus he's not omniscient.

My opinion can't be separated from my argument however i can have multiple opinions on a matter and i can define some things in more ways than one depending on the context
This is what i'm saying can't exist. For example let's go for a cliché one. God can't feed all the children in Africa thus he's not omnipotent however he may know about it but not be powerful enough to do anything about it. However he could also feed all those children in Africa however there may be other hungry children in other parts of the world he may not know about thus he's not omniscient.

My opinion can't be separated from my argument however i can have multiple opinions on a matter and i can define some things in more ways than one depending on the context

What if God doesn't care about the children in Africa? What if he wants them to starve to death in the most agonising way? This is what I'm saying: a god who isn't kind could be omniscient and omnipotent.

Interesting. So what are your separate opinions on the matter?
What if God doesn't care about the children in Africa? What if he wants them to starve to death in the most agonising way? This is what I'm saying: a god who isn't kind could be omniscient and omnipotent.

Interesting. So what are your separate opinions on the matter?

That's just called being a dick and who would want to believe in a God who likes to harm? not many

separate opinion: on the matter of african children being fed, proportionally all countries should donate aid about .7% of total wealth to help develop less off countries thus helping feed the kids
That's just called being a dick and who would want to believe in a God who likes to harm? not many

I don't see any reason to suppose that a "dick" god is more or less believable than a "non-dick" god. Belief should be based on what you think is true rather than what you'd like to be true. It's biased towards cynicism, but most religions are biased towards optimism. Of course worship and belief are two different things.
separate opinion: on the matter of african children being fed, proportionally all countries should donate aid about .7% of total wealth to help develop less off countries thus helping feed the kids

Ah ok.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rhythmical
I can't answer that, no one can. I'm disabled but I couldn't give two ****s about it. Yes, it used to affect me but I pretty much do whatever an able bodied person does, I don't have disabled friends and I'm doing my A Levels. It doesn't matter if someone is disabled or not, they are human and if you ask a disabled person if they wish they weren't disabled, most of them would say no. The reason why? It's made them the person they are today, I'm more insightful and accepting and we may have our hurdles and obstacles but we live life however we want to.

Im autistic and have been badly bullied for my life for being different, and on top of that parents were so poor we had no heating and they went without food so me and brother ate, lived in an old fashioned town that thought all people on benefits were lazy, there was no such thing as diability, school put all kids from council estates or who were poor into the thicko classes and made it pretty much impossible to get out of them (saying a good test result was a fluke, but then a bad test result meant being put in lower class straight away)

It had a elitist atttitude as it used to be a well respected school, kids from upper working class homes and above were given free extra tuition and were allowed to bully as their victims who were of course were poor were told "wed rather believe someone like them than someone like you" (as in poor)

In my early 20s I finally began to come out of my shell got my first even girlfriend to have my brothers fiance murdered and his daughter stolen from him by catholic social workers of course who said she was born out of sin, and until the murderer was found he wasn't allowed to even see his daughter, that took 2 years and then they said "oh well shes forgotten you now and we accidently put her up for adoption"

What sort of god does that!
Original post by drbluebox
Im autistic and have been badly bullied for my life for being different, and on top of that parents were so poor we had no heating and they went without food so me and brother ate, lived in an old fashioned town that thought all people on benefits were lazy, there was no such thing as diability, school put all kids from council estates or who were poor into the thicko classes and made it pretty much impossible to get out of them (saying a good test result was a fluke, but then a bad test result meant being put in lower class straight away)

It had a elitist atttitude as it used to be a well respected school, kids from upper working class homes and above were given free extra tuition and were allowed to bully as their victims who were of course were poor were told "wed rather believe someone like them than someone like you" (as in poor)

In my early 20s I finally began to come out of my shell got my first even girlfriend to have my brothers fiance murdered and his daughter stolen from him by catholic social workers of course who said she was born out of sin, and until the murderer was found he wasn't allowed to even see his daughter, that took 2 years and then they said "oh well shes forgotten you now and we accidently put her up for adoption"

What sort of god does that!

I'm sorry to hear that. As for your question on why God would inflict pain and choose to make people disabled, is something I, and religious leaders cannot answer. If you choose to believe in God, you will have your own opinions and base it on your beliefs. I believe in not preaching religion as it just ends in controversy and people take it the wrong way. I don't like to think that just disabled people go through suffering because ultimately, they don't. Everyone suffers at one stage of their life. You should never let your suffering or disability judge your life. When people bullied me, I tried my best to ignore it. I'd make a catty remark or just brush it off and laugh about it. Then they'd realise I have a tough shell.
God's tests are a little ****ed up, no one makes it out alive.
Cigarette break
I don't see any reason to suppose that a "dick" god is more or less believable than a "non-dick" god. Belief should be based on what you think is true rather than what you'd like to be true. It's biased towards cynicism, but most religions are biased towards optimism. Of course worship and belief are two different things.

Ah ok.

Mistake i should've clarified, i meant in terms of following and worshipping.
Original post by Foo.mp3
One reason I'm agnostic is the fact that I have not discounted the possibility that God could be less than omnipotent and/or somewhat immoral (see what he did to his own son FYR) :jebus:

Defo immoral, especially in the old testament part of the bible
Original post by champ_mc99
There's hardly any good for people who suffer such as those starving. Would you, if you were in they're place, want to not exist?

I don't know, can't say for sure unless I was actually in that position.
Because God dosnt exist and its all illusion sorry to be brutal but thats just is, im deaf and its not really that bad but if god did exist then the bible which apparently is word of god says that we are all born equally whihc would then contradict lol
Original post by Foo.mp3

It wasn't an answer so much as a mildly deprecating speculative jest. What I said applies in the former case, but regarding the latter monotheists can simply use 'free will' as a get out of jail free card

No, they can't. From a scientific view point, the existence of free will has the same ontological status as the existence of deities (aka there is no evidence supporting its existence).
Original post by Foo.mp3
Ayethey can i.e. in rationalising the mania of 'our father who fart in heaven', rather than proving the existence of said sadistic, celestial shepherd

Oh yea. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending