The Student Room Group

Pensioner, 77, told mother in hijab: 'You look like you're about to b0mb the place'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
You challenged posters who asked how anti-Muslim bigotry was racist. Some of us are grown-up enough to understand subtext and inferral.

I only said it was racist once, when someone wrongly said it was with a misinterpreted quote from the article, which i have since deleted.

When i challenged the posters, i never said anything about race, just questioning their attitude. You've made way too many assumptions and now resorted to putting words in my mouth. Well done.
Original post by QE2
This doesn't make sense.

Read it again, this time more slowly and carefully so it goes in.

You made these assumptions, not me. You can't base your petty attack on me from a fallacy.

You seem to have this anti muslim agenda where you question anyone that questions anyone with beliefs similar to you.

You're also drifting of on a tangent, you havent replied to an earlier post i made and completely ignored it. If you continue to ignore it then i will return the same courtesy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by infairverona
tldr. I don't think anyone should be afraid of criticising any religion and Islam in my view, having extensively studied world religions, is most worthy of that criticism. To prosecute someone for making an offensive comment towards Islam which would very most likely not be prosecuted for Christianity, or any other religion really, is extremely dangerous.

Unbelievable. You do not even understand the story in which you are commenting over. The woman did not, I repeat not, criticise Islam. She criticised this individual muslim because of terrorism. Terrorism is not partnered with nor explicit and particular to Islam. There are many other examples of terrorist organisations such as the IRA which are not in the slightest bit linked to Islam. Criticising Islam is not the issue here and there is a time and a place. Islam was not the thing criticised, the individual was because of its association with terrorism.
Original post by ivybridge
Unbelievable. You do not even understand the story in which you are commenting over. The woman did not, I repeat not, criticise Islam. She criticised this individual muslim because of terrorism. Terrorism is not partnered with nor explicit and particular to Islam. There are many other examples of terrorist organisations such as the IRA which are not in the slightest bit linked to Islam. Criticising Islam is not the issue here and there is a time and a place. Islam was not the thing criticised, the individual was because of its association with terrorism.

Criticising an individual for being a Muslim is the same as criticising Islam. The woman said you look like a terrorist or something, correct? So she is implying that any Muslims are terrorists. That is not even really an attack on this individual woman, it's saying she is part of a GROUP which aligns with terrorism. So it's an insult to Islam. I don't understand how you can possibly think that implying you are a terrorist because of your religion is NOT a criticism of your religion, of course it is. I have no problem at all criticising religion and I think it should be encouraged. You accuse me of not being able to think for myself, yet it is you who has fallen for leftie propaganda about how we should accept a religion whose proponents are constantly blowing up the West. Who is the one really not thinking for themselves here?
News just in. Old person says racist thing. :eek3:
Reply 84
Original post by MildredMalone
I know, people can get taken to court for pretty much nothing :/

So by your logic, I can go up to a random white person and say "Well, it looks like you're going to fetch some slaves!" And if I go to court, it will be for nothing?
Reply 85
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Just a heads up, some butthurt user is going to probably say "Islam isn't a race!"😂
Original post by King7
So by your logic, I can go up to a random white person and say "Well, it looks like you're going to fetch some slaves!" And if I go to court, it will be for nothing?

I'm white and obviously cannot speak for all white people but if you said that to me I wouldn't bother pursuing it legally. White people did keep slaves. Maybe not me, but it happened. A verbal comment is not going to make me try to get you convicted of a criminal offence. It's neither here nor there though because they wouldn't care if you said that to a white person, it's only overly sensitive Muslims who would pursue that. Next thing you know we'll be in prison because a Muslim didn't like the way you looked at them.
Criticising an individual for being a Muslim is the same as criticising Islam. The woman said you look like a terrorist or something, correct? So she is implying that any Muslims are terrorists. That is not even really an attack on this individual woman, it's saying she is part of a GROUP which aligns with terrorism. So it's an insult to Islam. I don't understand how you can possibly think that implying you are a terrorist because of your religion is NOT a criticism of your religion, of course it is. I have no problem at all criticising religion and I think it should be encouraged. You accuse me of not being able to think for myself, yet it is you who has fallen for leftie propaganda about how we should accept a religion whose proponents are constantly blowing up the West. Who is the one really not thinking for themselves here?

No it isn't the same thing at all. Islam is a religion, an ideology, a concept. A person is a thing of substance - autonomous, individual, something with opinions, beliefs, a sense of style, and so on. The woman commented on the relationship between a Middle Eastern Muslim and terrorism. She did not make a direct attack on Islam itself. She didn't say "what an awful religion, why do you follow it?" did she? No? That's right... because she wasn't criticising the faith. She was implying that the woman was a terrorist because of her clothing and more than likely, her complexion, which would also link her to the Middle East; it's a web of issues and reasons. The woman made not one of her motives evident so your argument is pointless anyway.

People can and do criticise religion. I hate religion, I think it causes so much more harm than it does good. But that is not what is being discussed here. I think for myself, you follow conservative, indoctrinated, drivel. You are so mislead it's actually making me frustrated having this discussion. It's impossible to argue with somebody as block-headed as yourself. The IRA, a Catholic group of people, blew up parts of the West too. Nobody profiles them. It all comes down to individuals. You cannot take the actions of a group of extremists and say that 22.74% of the world's population are doing the exact same thing and so should be referred to in the same way, i.e. as terrorists. It's absurd.
ITT people thick as pig manure can't work out the difference between religeous dogma, culture and race.

Honestly, if you regressives were around back in the day we'd still be in the dark ages since we'd have had no enlightenment period. Can't criticise religeous dogma or oppressive cultures due to you conflating it with race? Idiots.
Reply 89
I'm white and obviously cannot speak for all white people but if you said that to me I wouldn't bother pursuing it legally. White people did keep slaves. Maybe not me, but it happened. A verbal comment is not going to make me try to get you convicted of a criminal offence. It's neither here nor there though because they wouldn't care if you said that to a white person, it's only overly sensitive Muslims who would pursue that. Next thing you know we'll be in prison because a Muslim didn't like the way you looked at them.

I understand your positon and view. But that alone does not make it acceptable to say such things. It is clearly hatred. Just because White people kept slaves, doesn't mean todays Whites have to face the anger of the bastard slavemasters.

Let me change the scenario, what of I go upto a Christian and say "You going to abuse children today?"

(Phones lagging, so mind my spelling lol)
No it isn't the same thing at all. Islam is a religion, an ideology, a concept. A person is a thing of substance - autonomous, individual, something with opinions, beliefs, a sense of style, and so on. The woman commented on the relationship between a Middle Eastern Muslim and terrorism. She did not make a direct attack on Islam itself. She didn't say "what an awful religion, why do you follow it?" did she? No? That's right... because she wasn't criticising the faith. She was implying that the woman was a terrorist because of her clothing and more than likely, her complexion, which would also link her to the Middle East; it's a web of issues and reasons. The woman made not one of her motives evident so your argument is pointless anyway.

People can and do criticise religion. I hate religion, I think it causes so much more harm than it does good. But that is not what is being discussed here. I think for myself, you follow conservative, indoctrinated, drivel. You are so mislead it's actually making me frustrated having this discussion. It's impossible to argue with somebody as block-headed as yourself. The IRA, a Catholic group of people, blew up parts of the West too. Nobody profiles them. It all comes down to individuals. You cannot take the actions of a group of extremists and say that 22.74% of the world's population are doing the exact same thing and so should be referred to in the same way, i.e. as terrorists. It's absurd.

There is literally no evidence at all that the woman was targeted because of her race, YOU are the one creating facts here. I highly suspect it was because of the hijab which makes it perfectly clear that the woman is a Muslim. This was an attack on her religion. You admit that the woman did not make her motives evident in the same paragraph you suggest you know that it was because of her race? You are making this up as you go along.

I did not invite you to argue with me so if you feel it impossible please feel free to stop. I also think you are completely wrong about the IRA comment because I certainly think Irish people are profiled in that way. The difference is it is pretty obvious you are a Muslim if you are wearing a hijab. It is less obvious if you are Catholic because they don't wear anything that makes it clear that they are Catholic, you're comparing apples and oranges. None of your arguments make much sense to be honest.
Original post by King7
I understand your positon and view. But that alone does not make it acceptable to say such things. It is clearly hatred. Just because White people kept slaves, doesn't mean todays Whites have to face the anger of the bastard slavemasters.

Let me change the scenario, what of I go upto a Christian and say "You going to abuse children today?"

(Phones lagging, so mind my spelling lol)

I'm not sure the second situation is analogous because isn't it usually Catholic priests who are convicted of abusing children rather than just usual Christian people? Whereas previous Muslim bombers have not been members of Islam with particular authority like priests have. I'm not defending Christianity because I dislike all religions, I find Islam more problematic certainly but I wouldn't defend any religion. It's not acceptable but I don't think it's worthy of a crime either. We are just perpetuating people being ridiculously oversensitive
There is literally no evidence at all that the woman was targeted because of her race, YOU are the one creating facts here. I highly suspect it was because of the hijab which makes it perfectly clear that the woman is a Muslim. This was an attack on her religion. You admit that the woman did not make her motives evident in the same paragraph you suggest you know that it was because of her race? You are making this up as you go along.

I did not invite you to argue with me so if you feel it impossible please feel free to stop. I also think you are completely wrong about the IRA comment because I certainly think Irish people are profiled in that way. The difference is it is pretty obvious you are a Muslim if you are wearing a hijab. It is less obvious if you are Catholic because they don't wear anything that makes it clear that they are Catholic, you're comparing apples and oranges. None of your arguments make much sense to be honest.

There is no evidence the attack was on Islam? Furthermore, I made so many links, you are only focusing on the race one because it is the only possibility you can use to drive your own ludicrous corner of this debate. It was an attack on her as a follower of Islam, not on Islam itself. Can you not understand distinctions? I have argued the same thing consistently throughout, as have you.

I am arguing because somebody has to stand up for what's right here - all everybody does on this site is bash things they are afraid of or don't understand: Islam, Feminism, Women, Homosexuality, Transsexuals, and the list continues on forever. My argument makes a lot more sense than yours and according to my very Irish family, your assumption about the IRA is ********.
Reply 93
I'm not sure the second situation is analogous because isn't it usually Catholic priests who are convicted of abusing children rather than just usual Christian people? Whereas previous Muslim bombers have not been members of Islam with particular authority like priests have. I'm not defending Christianity because I dislike all religions, I find Islam more problematic certainly but I wouldn't defend any religion. It's not acceptable but I don't think it's worthy of a crime either. We are just perpetuating people being ridiculously oversensitive

Now, dont take this as me trying to convert you. But have you actually, properly studied Islam? Or just the parts that are "bad" or "evil"? I reccomend you putting your bias to one side, and just having a look at Islam, or religion as a whole, from a clear perspective. I have know problem that you maybe am Athiest, but I don't believe you hate religion based on research.

Anyways, it shouldn't be acceptable to make hateful remarks. Many people say religion is the source of evil, but what I see are many non-religion believers say hateful remarks about RELIGON, hode behind their rights, and say religon is causing hatred, not my remarks.
There is no evidence the attack was on Islam? Furthermore, I made so many links, you are only focusing on the race one because it is the only possibility you can use to drive your own ludicrous corner of this debate. It was an attack on her as a follower of Islam, not on Islam itself. Can you not understand distinctions? I have argued the same thing consistently throughout, as have you.

I am arguing because somebody has to stand up for what's right here - all everybody does on this site is bash things they are afraid of or don't understand: Islam, Feminism, Women, Homosexuality, Transsexuals, and the list continues on forever. My argument makes a lot more sense than yours and according to my very Irish family, your assumption about the IRA is ********.

If you break them down, your arguments have no substance. You also continuously show that you don't understand my argument. It's like talking to a child, I'm done.

And just because YOUR Irish family hasn't been profiled doesn't mean other Irish people haven't. Completely ignorant and selfish idea.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

News just in. Young person says ageist thing. :eek3:
Original post by ItsaConspiracy
Can't say **** these days without going to court how pathetic

I bet these old people are wishing they fought for the other side during WW2 because I'm sure if things turned out differently we wouldn't be in the mess we are today

A total betrayal has taken place

What the **** was this? You may as well shout out hail Hitler!
I am getting it from the news articles which feature photos of the woman such as The Sun, as linked. To be perfectly honest with you, it shouldn't matter whether race has anything to do with it. The lady's religion has something to do with it as well as mass stereotyping. A select group of muslims have decided to blow up various parts of the world and 'we' think it's okay to criticise all muslims and condemn them all as terrorists? Utter tosh. Why are we not condemning the Irish because of the IRA? A group which, by the way, caused widespread panic, more so than ISIS or al-Qaeda have done in this country. It's simply ridiculous and you're using this free speech drivel as a smokescreen for your point of view. Many muslims do not follow every facet of Islam, especially those in this country. The same goes for Christians. I know many muslims who have supported me unreservedly for being gay whilst Christians and atheists have bullied, mocked, or even been violent to me. Their religion does not mark them as being eligible to receive abuse or criticism. You may have your opinion about Islam and keep it or discuss it in a proper way. This woman did not criticise Islam, she criticised a muslim woman through an association with terrorism.

All religions are damaging - they all suck. But the world is not ending. Islam has been here longer than Christianity or most other religions. Get over it already and stop sucking up to what the media and your mummy and daddy are telling you to think about the events you are reading or watching stories about. I am defending the basic right to go and do your shopping with your kids without abuse for the way you look, the way you dress and the religion you follow. It is not acceptable. Muslims under attack at the moment in this country have a lot in common with how black people were treated in America, and still are in the Southern States to an extent, and how gay people have been treated internationally. Two wrongs do not make a right. I am defending the individual, not the concept of Islam.

I would have been perfectly happy with just the points in bold. Respect to you mate. Well said. :yy:
There is women abuse, child abuse, verbal abuse, mental abuse, and physical abuse. I'm not if racial abuse makes the case, and if it does I'm late to the party.

Hajibs wearers aren't a race though :s-smilie: You could be white, asian or black and wear a hajib.
Good thing he did get charge. He can't just walk on streets and tell any person with a hajib that.
Someone had to stop him.
Reply 99
An observation in this thread, many people have assumed it was a bloke even though it states clearly in the OP it was a woman.
Just remember that next time we see feminist's stating male assumptions as evidence of deep-rooted misogyny in western society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending