The Student Room Group

Your degree and your career aspirations - how do they match up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mentally
I'm not sure I understand.

The whole post was about people coming in with high salary expectations (usually STEM students) when they don't even know what job they want to do. Your response was the exact problem I've been seeing on TSR...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vinny1900
Employers don't pay that level.

The right employers do
Original post by Princepieman
Not that bad tbf. My friend got BlackRock (HF) and that was 6 out of ~2k applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Straight out of undergrad? What uni did he go?
The whole post was about people coming in with high salary expectations (usually STEM students) when they don't even know what job they want to do. Your response was the exact problem I've been seeing on TSR...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hilarious, the guy with the expected starting salary of 50k telling the other guy going for not too far from half of that, that he is aiming too high.
Plus idk doesnt mean i have absolutely no idea what in going for. I have a broad idea of the careers that pay that much, im not too sure on the specifics
Hilarious, the guy with the expected starting salary of 50k telling the other guy going for not too far from half of that, that he is aiming too high.
Plus idk doesnt mean i have absolutely no idea what in going for. I have a broad idea of the careers that pay that much, im not too sure on the specifics

Because I've seen the contract for each position as I have friends who are heading into both of those jobs this year. I don't care for 'expectations', I care for what each job actually pays.

You on the other hand just said '£35k, idk how I will tho'. If you had a broad 'idea' why not put them down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Because I've seen the contract for each position as I have friends who are heading into both of those jobs this year. I don't care for 'expectations', I care for what each job actually pays.

You on the other hand just said '£35k, idk how I will tho'. If you had a broad 'idea' why not put them down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said I didn't know how I will though, the idk was written afrer the careers meaning I didn't yet decide specifically on what career route ill go through to aim for that salary. Plus there are quite a few graduate schemes that offer ~35kish here in london
I never said I didn't know how I will though, the idk was written afrer the careers meaning I didn't yet decide specifically on what career route ill go through to aim for that salary. Plus there are quite a few graduate schemes that offer ~35kish here in london

That's why I put 'careers', in case you're deliberating between a few. Which grad schemes pay £35k that you personally know of? (I know there are quite a few but I'm seeing if you can come up with concrete roles + companies)

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's why I put 'careers', in case you're deliberating between a few. Which grad schemes pay £35k that you personally know of? (I know there are quite a few but I'm seeing if you can come up with concrete roles + companies)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ill list them all when i get home. Gimme a few mins
Degree: Computer Science BSc.
Jobs/Careers of Interest: Software Development/IT Consultancy.
Graduate Salary Expected: £25-30k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plenty of retail graduate scheme offer that, the one that grabbed my eye was the "Aldi graduate scheme", though thats not my first priority, my first ideal choice would be consultancy in one of the big 4 in auditing, I have some links and know some people from other consultancy firms e.g. Newton even though their role is vastly different(Newton employs mostly engineers that works to minimise waste and focuses mainly on "margins" via inefficient methods) but thats where I was firstly hooked onto the idea. Again, though looking at the competition im not planning to place all my hopes on it. Academia @ university level is also an option ive thought about for a while, not in the UK though ( I can pm you the country and the exact Universities you've probably been to one of these countries), they don't offer 35k starting but with the benefits and bonuses easily sums up to ~30kish
(edited 7 years ago)
Degree- Pharmacy
Careers of Interest- Management Consultancy
Graduate Salary Expected- £30-35000
Plenty of retail graduate scheme offer that, the one that grabbed my eye was the "Aldi graduate scheme", though thats not my first priority, my first ideal choice would be consultancy in one of the big 4 in auditing, I have some links and know some people from other consultancy firms e.g. Newton even though their role is vastly different(Newton employs mostly engineers that works to minimise waste and focuses mainly on "margins" via inefficient methods) but thats where I was firstly hooked onto the idea. Again, though looking at the competition im not planning to place all my hopes on it. Academia @ university level is also an option ive thought about for a while, not in the UK though ( I can pm you the country and the exact Universities you've probably been to one of these countries), they don't offer 35k starting but with the benefits and bonuses easily sums up to ~30kish

Great response. Good to see you have at least some ideas, and that you've done a bit of digging.

Afaik, Newton is quite close to £40k and big4 audit is £29-30k in London. I've heard the Aldi area manager scheme is hellish beyond belief tho.. 12+ hours a day, and sometimes you have to clean up the store lol.

By academia, do you mean the PhD -> Lecturer/Researcher route or?
(edited 7 years ago)
Great response. Good to see you have at least some ideas, and that you've done a bit of digging.

Afaik, Newton is quite close to £40k and big4 audit is £29-30k in London. I've heard the Aldi area manager scheme is hellish beyond belief tho.. 12+ hours a day, and sometimes you have to clean up the store lol.

By academia, do you mean the PhD -> Lecturer/Researcher route or?

Precisely, that route, its probably the longest but has plenty of many advantage compared to the rest. As for the starting salary I kind of averaged out, I admit it would be fairer to round it to the lower £30k-35kishh
Ive been hearing alot of horror stories from graduates at Aldis, alot claim they give them the workload of 2 people:frown:

Im not completely sure which route i'll go down tbh, im still in my first year trying to keep my options open, I can decide later for the Academia and graduate scheme, but for the consultancy im making sure to get some essential internship/experiences done now (even though I know im very likely not to make it). (read a study somewhere that most people change their career choice atleast 3 times whilst in university! :bawling:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Degree: Law
Career of interest: Corporate Solicitor at a decent firm
Expected Graduate Salary: £30-40k
Original post by sabana
Nope I don't I'm planning on a PGCE, also teaching is only 4 years usually. 3 yrs for your bachelors degree and 1 yr for pgce.

Why not PGCE? Also don't forget QTS
Reply 95
Original post by ckfeister
Why not PGCE? Also don't forget QTS

The person said she was planning to do a PGCE.
Degree: Maths and Computer Science (Data Science)
Jobs/Careers of Interest: TMT Coverage - IBD, Strategy Consulting
Graduate Salary Expected: IBD: £50k base, 30-50% bonus. Strat: £35-40k base, 10% bonus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you've essentially posted a thread about people having unrealistic expectations then went ahead and posted an unrealistic graduate salary yourself.

Brilliant. How many of these 50k a year fresh out of university jobs are there? Surely that's literally the opposite of realistic?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt
So you've essentially posted a thread about people having unrealistic expectations then went ahead and posted an unrealistic graduate salary yourself.

Brilliant. How many of these 50k a year fresh out of university jobs are there? Surely that's literally the opposite of realistic?

I think the thread was aimed at STEM students who expect a high graduate salary but have no firm idea how they will get there. It's fair enough if you have specific roles in mind and are doing what you need to do to have a decent shot at those roles.

That's not unrealistic. The job he wants to do (investment banking) does actually pay £50000 starting salary and then a bonus as well. For other jobs it is unrealistic but for certain careers (IBD, trading, equity research, maybe corporate law) it is what you usually get.

How is it 'unrealistic' when I've seen the exact figure in writing (employment contract), several times from friends I have helped get into the roles I'm talking about?

Did you even read the post? It's completely fair to know what each job pays, what's not fair is to throw some wild figure without any idea of how you'll get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending