The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay is a choice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RachaelBee
No, people feel safer coming out as gay, even if there are no laws against it that doesn't automatically make it socially acceptable in all cultures.

i see thank you for kindly posting your opinion.
Original post by TGS_Lila
mmm but there is a split in the LGBT community where one side think its a choice and the other dont. Also, is a transgender gay, thats in their community.

Im not trying to prove you wrong here but just know more of peoples opinions and if so change mine.

What do you mean by the" is a trans gay that is in the community?"
mmm but there is a split in the LGBT community where one side think its a choice and the other dont. Also, is a transgender gay, thats in their community.

Im not trying to prove you wrong here but just know more of peoples opinions and if so change mine.

Source? I've literally NEVER known any of the LGBT community say that it was a choice so that's an interesting perception.
Reply 23
Original post by ForgetMe
Yep, I also chose to be white too :colonhash: My mother ate a lot of white chocolate whilst I was in her womb :colonhash: She also seen so many beautiful rainbows after the rain, so she was like awwwww man, I wish my son was as cute as these rainbows and there it went :gah:

X) I Didnt mean to stretch it that far but thats a interesting point.
lol i am so done. are u like 7 yrs old?:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely reject the claim that a solid number solid people within the LGBTQIA community support the pro-choice argument. We all know whether or not we made a choice about the way we feel and we all know we didn't. You can choose to have sex with men/women but sexuality is characterised by actual sexual attraction. I could have sex with a girl f I wanted - it doesn't mean I'll be into it or find the girl sexually attractive.
X) I Didnt mean to stretch it that far but thats a interesting point.

So what's your story? How did you chose to be straight and unintelligent? :hubba:
I don't think people are naturally born homosexual, i think its a choice, you can agree or disagree.

Yeah i don't think people are born gay per se. I think it's a combination of environmental factors (family situations, experiences) and there's probably some genetic factors that can influence your sexual attraction. You could probably stop being gay. But gay people make a conscious choice to have gay sex (if they do) so that's a choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by LoveTheDivergent
What do you mean by the" is a trans gay that is in the community?"

In the LGBT community they are trying to decipher whether someone transgender is gay/lesbian or just a different gender.
something like that, its hard to get your head around it.
Reply 29
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah i don't think people are born gay per se. I think it's a combination of environmental factors (family situations, experiences) and there's probably some genetic factors that can influence your sexual attraction. But gay people make a conscious choice to have gay sex (if they do) so that's a choice.

Thank you for your honest opinion :smile:
Firstly, the number of people that are homosexual is increasing. why? because people make choices to be gay where it is acceptable.

The number of people that identify as homosexual is increasing thanks to changing opinions of society. It's no longer illegal or considered wrong to be gay. In the past, even if you were, you might still pretend otherwise because you could have been rejected from society if you do.
Reply 31
Original post by RachaelBee
Source? I've literally NEVER known any of the LGBT community say that it was a choice so that's an interesting perception.

It was in the newspapers o.o
The typical arguments to this very plausable point debunked:
1) "Why would gays choose to be gay then, because it's easier to heterosexual"
Answer: A choice made at a young age is clearly not one that takes all factors into consideration. You were unable to see into the future, and see the potential hate you may receive for being homosexual. All you had, at the time you made the choice, was a bunch of people from each gender to look at, and a decision to make. Gay people could still change sexuality, since I'm sure most people would change sexuality if it stopped them "getting bullied and abused" all their lives. Comparing the looks of genders when young and then deciding and learning which you prefer is still a choice.
+ Never heard of an incident of any abuse towards a gay person, in a way that exceeds just a standard insult. I.e fat people are called fat, gay people are called gay. The minority characteristic will always be mentioned.
2) "Okay so when did you choose to be straight?"
Answer: In order for a gender to be preferred, there does not need to exist a single moment in time in which you decided that. Most opinions/ views grow over time, similarly to the hair style you have or the gender you fancy. That's the only explanation for people "suddenly" becoming bisexual, unless they're all lying too. For straight people, it's the same as for gay people, in the sense that they compare the attractiveness of genders over time, to eventually (or never) reach a conclusion, but always have a preference.
3) "But these studies show a correlation between *insert some genetic thing* and homosexuality"
Answer: A survey/ dna test of 250 people isn't proof of causation, it's hardly proof of correlation.
4) "I don't remember choosing to be gay consciously"
Answer: And I don't remember what I had for dinner on the 27th of May 2006, doesn't mean I didn't have dinner that evening.

Please feel free to give me more, I'm still waiting for one to be inarguable, as it would be lovely to learn and improve my views. However there seems to be nothing to improve to as it stands.

*Waits for 1 specific thing I said to be argued and the rest ignored*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by ForgetMe
So what's your story? How did you chose to be straight and unintelligent? :hubba:

o.o Just because im expressing an opinion many people think, doesnt mean im unintelligent.
Instead of being rude. It would be nice if you tried to convince me, thats what i made this thread for.
If not, why the heck did you bother to reply -.-" seriously, im trying to have a civilised debate here!
o.o Just because im expressing an opinion many people think, doesnt mean im unintelligent.
Instead of being rude. It would be nice if you tried to convince me, thats what i made this thread for.
If not, why the heck did you bother to reply -.-" seriously, im trying to have a civilised debate here!

I think a black person chose to be black. My opinion. Lets have a debate.:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by ComputerMaths97
The typical arguments to this very plausable point debunked:
1) "Why would gays choose to be gay then, because it's easier to heterosexual"
Answer: A choice made at a young age is clearly not one that takes all factors into consideration. You were unable to see into the future, and see the potential hate you may receive for being homosexual. All you had, at the time you made the choice, was a bunch of people from each gender to look at, and a decision to make. Gay people could still change sexuality, since I'm sure most people would change sexuality if it stopped them "getting bullied and abused" all their lives. Comparing the looks of genders when young and then deciding and learning which you prefer is still a choice.
+ Never heard of an incident of any abuse towards a gay person, in a way that exceeds just a standard insult. I.e fat people are called fat, gay people are called gay. The minority characteristic will always be mentioned.
2) "Okay so when did you choose to be straight?"
Answer: In order for a gender to be preferred, there does not need to exist a single moment in time in which you decided that. Most opinions/ views grow over time, similarly to the hair style you have or the gender you fancy. That's the only explanation for people "suddenly" becoming bisexual, unless they're all lying too. For straight people, it's the same as for gay people, in the sense that they compare the attractiveness of genders over time, to eventually (or never) reach a conclusion, but always have a preference.
3) "But these studies show a correlation between *insert some genetic thing* and homosexuality"
Answer: A survey/ dna test of 250 people isn't proof of causation, it's hardly proof of correlation.
4) "I don't remember choosing to be gay consciously"
Answer: And I don't remember what I had for dinner on the 27th of May 2006, doesn't mean I didn't have dinner that evening.

Please feel free to give me more, I'm still waiting for one to be inarguable, as it would be lovely to learn and improve my views. However there seems to be nothing to improve to as it stands.

Thank you alot the reply (thanks for not swearing)
Reply 36
Original post by Alexion
The number of people that identify as homosexual is increasing thanks to changing opinions of society. It's no longer illegal or considered wrong to be gay. In the past, even if you were, you might still pretend otherwise because you could have been rejected from society if you do.

ooohhh thats a good point thank you.
In the LGBT community they are trying to decipher whether someone transgender is gay/lesbian or just a different gender.
something like that, its hard to get your head around it.

Definitely not true. As someone that identifies as trans and ace and something else that I'm not quite sure of but you know, go with the flow :smile:, gender =/= sexual oriebtation. The lables you use may be dufferent,e.g. some that is MTF and attracted to girls may class themselves as straight before transition as its easier, whereas afterwards (thats if we assume they transition) they could either identify as lesbian or gynosexual for example. Either way, they are still attracted to girls, no matter the lab they use.

Saying that gay is a choice shows a lack of intelligence. By saying people choose to be gay, you're also saying that we all chose to be white/black or any other skin colour, we chose our genders etc.

Just sit and think, who would choose a life where being gay is a death penalty, who would choose to be pushed off a building? Who would choose to be bullied for being gay or not even allowed to hold hands in public? :erm:

Also, I don't see where I was rude, I didn't call you dumb or anything.
(edited 7 years ago)
It never ceases to tickle me how straight people think they can actually offer an insight into this question. How would you know? :lol:.

To be honest, why isn't it enough that literally every gay person ever says they didn't choose it?

Latest

Trending

Trending