The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluebookie
I'm not even going to pretend I'm oh-so-wise about this. I feel like transphobia is something that's killing so many people out there who are told that they're not normal and should be treated as they're mentally ill. I have never had anything against transsexuality, and I doubt this will change. I'm going to show you an an example of one out of many suicides from transexual/transgender teenagers. (You might say it happened because of her 'mental illness', but I believe it was the hate and intolerance towards who she was)

>

Food for thought:
"An additional, handwritten suicide note reading "I've had enough" was found on her bed, but then thrown away by Alcorn's mother after police made a copy.[16]In the early morning of December 28, police informed news sources that she had been walking southbound on Interstate 71 near Union Township when she was struck by a semi-trailer just before 2:30 am near the South Lebanon exit.[21] She died at the scene. It is believed that Alcorn walked three to four miles from her parents' house in nearby Kings Mills, Ohio, before being struck. According to her suicide note, Alcorn had felt "like a girl trapped in a boy's body" since she was four, and came to identify as a transgender girl from the age of fourteen, when she became aware of the term.Carla Alcorn (mother) responded to criticism in an interview with CNN, stating "we loved him unconditionally. We loved him no matter what. I loved my son. People need to know that I loved him. He was a good kid, a good boy."" Leelah Alcorn 1997-2014,

You're right your not wise, about this. Look at the rate of suicide and tell me again you think that labelling it a mental illness caused this.

As a side note 25% of the population in any given year have a mental illness

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
You're a professional psychologist?? Good lord what's upon us.. .

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's not don't worry :smile:
I identify as agender which means that I don't identify with any gender. Being trans* is not a disorder. Trans people have always been around and have always been around and that isn't going to change. What has changed is the openess of the trans community because we aren't getting beaten to death for it anymore. We can't change who we are. Just because we are born one way doesn't mean we should be that way. It has happened to us for a reason.

Gender =/= Sex

Gender is a social construct, creating a fluid movement between fully feminine through to fully masculine with the possibility of fitting anywhere, whether it be stable or fluctuating. Sex is a scientific construct, used to give the best care to you as a human and help you grow up. You could be raised as the most girly girl ever and still feel male without being a tomboy.

For me, I feel that if you think you may have gender dysphoria, then go see a doctor. Hormone blockers don't do much to your body, so there is a chance to see and feel certain about you going through your transition. Being trans does not mean you have gender dysphoria. Guaranteed, I have boobs and I don't mind them, I have a disconnection but I honestly don't mind them being there and I'm not the only trans person to be comfortable in my body without transitioning.

It means that being trans is not a mental disorder and classifying it as such can cause much more harm to the community because being seen as different is one thing, being told you're ill because of it and that because its an "illness" it can be "cured" makes you feel even worse because so many trans people try to oppress it for so long even though it's part of you.
I think it's very similar to those kinds of mental disorders people get where they feel like a certain body part isn't 'theirs' and they want it amputated. I can't remember what that's called but I remember learning a lot of cases about it on my degree.

I think it must be a very horrible experience to feel that you are in the wrong body and I really do sympathise with anyone going through that, but I think it's kind of common sense that if you are born with the body of a 'girl' or 'boy' and your brain feels you are the opposite then it's probably more likely that your brain is wrong rather than your body.
Original post by donte
Ugh. Please dont its not an insult match its supposed be an intellectual discussion. Go back to tumblr.

Im sorry what exactly is he doing here if hes not a student and this aint a intellectual discussion but in fact transphobia
Original post by paul514
Racist, ageist, anything else? Also I'm still in study whilst practicing

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't be racist to a white person? Um
Original post by Chaseyyy
You can't be racist to a white person? Um

That sums you up all over "you can't be racist to a white person"

The other poster was right sod off to tumblr

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
That sums you up all over "you can't be racist to a white person"

The other poster was right sod off to tumblr

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats reverse racism, if you believe you can be racist to a white person you're dumb asf
Thats reverse racism, if you believe you can be racist to a white person you're dumb asf

Racist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twinpeaks
Oh so because a quick google tells you that you think you're right do you? :rofl:

First of all. No one cares about the Merriam Webster Medical definition. It's the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders that's is the bible for mental health professionals and academics.

As you may find if you do a bit more googling, that the definition of a mental health disorder is very complex. I find it interesting how you don't seem to think suffering is a requirement of a disorder? But anyway, here'a the DSM-5 definition.

"A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities. An expectable or culturally approved response to a common stressor or loss, such as the death of a loved one, is not a mental disorder. Socially deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) and conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are not mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict results from a dysfunction in the individual, as described above."

Incidentally, I don't think it's important to put too much sway on the umbrella definition. Because of the great variety of disorders, what matters to clinicians is the individual definitions.

"Usually" associated with significant distress.

Identifying that it is not a pre-requisite.

As someone who does suffer from a Mental Health Disorder and is in regular contact with others I am aware that not everyone "suffers" from it.
Original post by ivybridge
A deviation from "the norm" does not equate to disorder.

When something deviated from a set or regular state i.e something that is "Ordered".

It is considered "Dis-Ordered".
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
"Usually" associated with significant distress.

Identifying that it is not a pre-requisite.

As someone who does suffer from a Mental Health Disorder and is in regular contact with others I am aware that not everyone "suffers" from it.

It states "usually" because you cannot assume that every individual suffers from a disorder yes, but a large proportion do. It would be too generalising to assume that everyone suffers. Take Autism, for most it leads to suffering and/ or reduced functioning at points in their lives, it can be hard to live with. But some with autism think it just means they are different.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
When something deviated from a set or regular state i.e something that is "Ordered".

It is considered "Dis-Ordered".

That is too literal, that may make sense linguistically but not scientifically.

The DSM has explicitly stated in their current or previous publication that a deviation from normal standards of society is not sufficient to constitute a disorder.
Original post by infairverona
I think it's very similar to those kinds of mental disorders people get where they feel like a certain body part isn't 'theirs' and they want it amputated. I can't remember what that's called but I remember learning a lot of cases about it on my degree.

I think it must be a very horrible experience to feel that you are in the wrong body and I really do sympathise with anyone going through that, but I think it's kind of common sense that if you are born with the body of a 'girl' or 'boy' and your brain feels you are the opposite then it's probably more likely that your brain is wrong rather than your body.

Exactly. If I felt as though my hand wasn't my own and this was causing me serious distress, the problem clearly isn't my perfectly healthy hand.

And the whole thing about 'gender dysphoria' being the mental disorder and not you believing you're in the wrong freakin' body is a little strange. "Oh, my brain thinking I'm a man when I'm really a woman isn't the mental disorder; it's the distress that I get from it that's the mental disorder.'" Err, what? Feeling distressed isn't the disorder; the abnormal mental disassociation causing the distress should be the disorder, for crying out loud.
Original post by Dandaman1
Exactly. If I felt as though my hand wasn't my own and this was causing me serious distress, the problem clearly isn't my perfectly healthy hand.

And the whole thing about 'gender dysphoria' being the mental disorder and not you believing you're in the wrong freakin' body is a little strange. "Oh, my brain thinking I'm a man when I'm really a woman isn't the mental disorder; it's the distress that I get from it that's the mental disorder.'" Err, what? Feeling distressed isn't the disorder; the abnormal mental disassociation causing the distress should be the disorder, for crying out loud.

Correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RivalPlayer
Yeah I think it is.
I don't understand how you can be comfortable with people who willingly mutilate their sexual organs via surgery because they believe "nature got it wrong". It's a form of self harm that's celebrated with euphemistic terms like "transitioning".

If you're born male (with male sexual organs), you're male. If you're born female (with female sexual organs), you're a female. The idea that you were born the "wrong way" is purely a product of the mind.
What's even more ridiculous is the way people think having sex reassignment surgery/therapy, popping a few hormone pills and making some aesthetic changes is enough to put them on par with a naturally born person of the same biological sex.

It's an incredibly reductive way of looking at biological sex. And it's all articfical. A man who "becomes" a woman is still a man underneath no matter how people may attempt to dismiss it. He has never gone thru female puberty or will have monthly periods or experience childbirth - because he is not a female, but a male who has made artifical changes in order to masquerade as a woman. Internally he will always be male.

We congratulate people who prosper despite being born with life-limiting disabilities. We admire the way in which they come to accept and overcome the limiting features they are born with.
And yet when people are born into (usually) healthy bodies and then go on to believe that they were born "wrong", we're told that it is acceptable for such people to intentionally mutilate themselves (i.e. **** up healthy organs) via surgery because they believe it's the right thing to do.
This response to the failure of accepting what they are is then applauded.

I find the artificiality of it all disturbing. What happened to embracing what nature has graciously given you instead of pretending to be something you're not?

If they believe they were born in the wrong body, why should they not be allowed to change? I mean you are practically saying that they should stay to their nature. Also not all of them have SRS or even take hormone therapy they just dress as the opposite gender, is that bad? I mean if you were born with a penis that doesn't mean you can't wear skirts and dresses. Its society that enforces these stereotypes and they of course aren't able to dress as the opposite gender without being stigmatized. but can I get your argument clear? Are you against people acting as the opposite gender or them going through hormone therapy and SRS
If they believe they were born in the wrong body, why should they not be allowed to change? I mean you are practically saying that they should stay to their nature. Also not all of them have SRS or even take hormone therapy they just dress as the opposite gender, is that bad? I mean if you were born with a penis that doesn't mean you can't wear skirts and dresses. Its society that enforces these stereotypes and they of course aren't able to dress as the opposite gender without being stigmatized. but can I get your argument clear? Are you against people acting as the opposite gender or them going through hormone therapy and SRS

If it's the same as me he is against the surgery and hormones and thinks that the people should receive mental health care instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
If it's the same as me he is against the surgery and hormones and thinks that the people should receive mental health care instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the NHS help children with gender dysphoria and let them undertake hormone therapy and SRS for free when they have been diagnosed by a psychiatrist so you can't be against the system we live in and Im guessing you work for the NHS so why are you against the treatment?
Well the NHS help children with gender dysphoria and let them undertake hormone therapy and SRS for free when they have been diagnosed by a psychiatrist so you can't be against the system we live in and Im guessing you work for the NHS so why are you against the treatment?

Private practice, I'm not dumb enough to work for a pittance with lots of paperwork and stress.

And just because it is what the nhs does it doesn't mean it's right all sorts of treatments are available for mental health reasons such plastic surgery for body dysmorphia

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twinpeaks
That is too literal, that may make sense linguistically but not scientifically.

The DSM has explicitly stated in their current or previous publication that a deviation from normal standards of society is not sufficient to constitute a disorder.

But a Biological and Mental deviation that is so extensive that it overrides an organisms basic instinct to mate with an opposing gender....isn't considered a Disorder?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending