The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay is a choice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Think of the age that a person learns and/or decided who they fancy. Do you think they're of the age that they are able to understand the "abuse" gay people get? My little brother told me he fancied this girl when he was 5, and he sure didn't know the difference between being gay or straight in terms of how society treats you.

But if it's a choice as is being claimed they could simply choose to no longer be gay.
Original post by TGS_Lila
...i dont think they can fake someone from the LGBT Community quotes. There would of been problems.

Oh, of course not, newspapers would never fabricate information to sell stories, right :rofl: Let's assume they're genuine quotes, though... I imagine the train of thought was "Let's quiz 100 members of the LGBT community about this, and if we manage to get just a few quotes that favour our story then we'll add them in!".
Original post by RachaelBee
Have a read about the Kinsey Scale. :smile:

Have you seen the stuff about Hillsborough this week and everything that The Sun fabricated?

Thank you for your reply, i saw the kinsey scale and it is very pecuilar indeed, i guess it makes sense now :O

Fabricate?! wouldnt that be illegal o.o Im not sure but they must of had a source.
please stop encouraging these threads that are posted solely for the controversy value so the narcissist op can jack off at every irritated reply, there is a place and time for civilised discussion and it is not in their back yard
Original post by LoveTheDivergent
No, I'd take being gay over being ace because people are nore open to gay people and there's less stigma surrounding gay people than ace people.

I don't think so, name me one country in the world where being an ace is illegal or can get you killed. I'd much rather be asexual than homosexual
Surely if it's a choice, then OP, you could choose to be gay yourself, right? You would be able to renounce your heterosexuality? Do it. Prove it.
Reply 66
Lead scientist Alan Sanders said that the work “erodes the notion that sexual orientation is a choice” but said the study also did not identify a single gene which was the direct cause of homosexuality.He stressed that a variety of factors including genetics, upbringing and environment play a part in developing sexual orientation, which is complex and emerges over time.

“Yes, we have a choice in life, to be ourselves or to conform to someone else’s idea of normality, but being straight, bisexual or gay, or none of these, is a central part of who we are, thanks in part to the DNA we were born with.”
Original post by ForgetMe
It's more bigoted to say that someone chooses to be gay.

Okay you don't listen to arguments so let's do this the simple way, simply answer the questions:

1) Did you choose your favourite drink(s)?
2) If you said yes to question 1: How did you choose it - by tasting and therefore comparing flavours?
3) If you said no to question 1: So then you're saying every single drink tastes the same to you? Since you have no favourites.

Either a) You chose by comparing flavours - therefore it cannot be genetic since you didn't know until you consciously decided your favourite(s)
or b) You were genetically given what drinks you would like, despite some of the drinks not even existing at the time of your birth. Therefore, it's impossible to have a changing opinion on drinks. I.e the same drink will always be your favourite?

a proves that your preference was a choice, b proves the paradox that arises if you claim that your preference was genetic.

Then, replacing the terms around drinks with gender related terms, it proves that gender must be a choice.
Original post by Anonymous
please stop encouraging these threads that are posted solely for the controversy value so the narcissist op can jack off at every irritated reply, there is a place and time for civilised discussion and it is not in their back yard

Y E S.

ok .o.o
Thank you for your reply, i saw the kinsey scale and it is very pecuilar indeed, i guess it makes sense now :O

Fabricate?! wouldnt that be illegal o.o Im not sure but they must of had a source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster#Media_portrayal

This is just a case that springs to mind since it has being in the news this week but yeah.
Okay you don't listen to arguments so let's do this the simple way, simply answer the questions:

2) If you said yes to question 1: How did you choose it - by tasting and therefore comparing flavours?
3) If you said no to question 1: So then you're saying every single drink tastes the same to you? Since you have no favourites.

Either a) You chose by comparing flavours - therefore it cannot be genetic since you didn't know until you consciously decided your favourite(s)
or b) You were genetically given what drinks you would like, despite some of the drinks not even existing at the time of your birth. Therefore, it's impossible to have a changing opinion on drinks. I.e the same drink will always be your favourite?

a proves that your preference was a choice, b proves the paradox that arises if you claim that your preference was genetic.

Then, replacing the terms around drinks with gender related terms, it proves that gender must be a choice.

Except sexual orientation and human affection are not comparable to a drink.
Because I totally love being called a plant and being asked whether I masturbate every time I come out. It may not be illegal but its definitely a lot harder, not being able to love whoever you marry. Having kids with someone because of family pressures and religious reasons. Especially if you are sex-repulsed. Basically being raped because I definitely wouldn't be consenting in that situation "for the best of my family"Really? What about me? What about when people make rape jokes and tell you that they'll take you whenever and wherever because you need to try it or you just haven't net the right one. Having your whole identity erased because you're a late bloomer. Go tell that to the ace woman in her mid 40s living somewhere. That she's a late bloomer! What? 28 years too late? If course. Because that's definitely true. Some days I'd rather die than go through that
(edited 7 years ago)

But the sort of drinks you like depends on your taste buds (determined by genetics), and you might try more than one but what you like isn't an actual choice per say.
Original post by JamesN88
But if it's a choice as is being claimed they could simply choose to no longer be gay.

Surely if it's a choice, then OP, you could choose to be gay yourself, right? You would be able to renounce your heterosexuality? Do it. Prove it.

The simplist way to argue these points:

1) You cannot undo every single choice you make in your life, especially in an instant. It takes time to grow a formed opinion, and it only gets stronger the longer you believe it.
2) Comparing the options and subsequently deciding which gender you prefer sexually, is a choice. How can you know your sexuality before you've compared how attractive you find each gender? That comparison requires a choice, made my comparing the pros and cons for each side.
3) I'll remind you that the sexuality choice tends to be made at an incredibly young age, much before you begin to understand/ learn how society treats people based on their sexuality.

Thats a good point.
Im going to be honest here.

If you like sticking your d**k in another man there is no problem, however i hate it when gays dress in pink and use their sexuality for everything. Just because in straight doesn't mean that i should be angry or show the world im straight. If you have less rights you can protest, but don't go and be a douche in social situations. It's gays who are annoying. Being annoying is a choice. Being gay may not.

I've never read a nonsense like this ..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LoveTheDivergent
Because I totally love being called a plant and being asked whether I masturbate every time I come out. It may not be illegal but its definitely a lot harder, not being able to love whoever you marry. Having kids with someone because of family pressures and religious reasons. Especially if you are sex-repulsed. Basically being raped because I definitely wouldn't be consenting in that situation "for the best of my family"Really? What about me? What about when people make rape jokes and tell you that they'll take you whenever and wherever because you need to try it or you just haven't net the right one. Having your whole identity erased because you're a late bloomer. Go tell that to the ace woman in her mid 40s living somewhere. That she's a late bloomer! What? 28 years too late? If course. Because that's definitely true. Some days I'd rather die than go through that

I'm sorry but why are you trying to compete? It sucks for all of us. I would not even bother calling it "a lot harder" - it isn't. It is bad for all of the LGBTQIA community right now.
i agree that it is a choice.
Reason is being..why are people also bisexual?
i thought it was one or the other, how could it be both?

Latest