The Student Room Group

Is society generally Pro-Gay?

In 2016, is it agreed that everybody in the UK is Pro-Gay, and that it's not longer socially acceptable to discriminate against the Gays.
If it was you wouldn't feel the need to ask this question.
It's obvious that we've come a long way, from homosexuality being criminalised before 1967 to the ruling of same-sex marriage in 2013. I would say that most of the time, if somebody were to start being blatantly homophobic, somebody would step in and tell them to stop. We still have a way to go, but it's obvious that we're making progress, despite the problems that still remain.
Society isn't pro-gay. Society isn't constantly encouraging homosexuality or marketing it. You don't see people waving the gay flag in their houses, or celebrating it like veteran's day.

Society is accepting of gays. Just cuz people are no longer throwing the gays in therapy against their will, or cuz homosexuality is no longer listed as a mental illness, don't mean people are pro anything. You can be accepting of just bout anything but doesn't mean you're pro.

I don't like the Uk. I'm in the USA and the USA isn't that different in ideals and beliefs. Gay marriage is legalized in all states but I never seen a single gay couple and I doubt people are going to clap over it.
People can accepts gays for being gay bout it doesn't mean people encourage others to be gay or encouraging others to show how gay they are
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol, soceity is not "pro-gay". People get physically assaulted and harassed for holding hands with a same gender partner in public, people disown their children for being gay, and domestic abuse victims in same sex relationships often don't get as much support as heterosexual abuse victims. These are just a few of the difficulties of being gay that I can think of off the top of my head.

Thankfully, being gay is more accepted now than it was in the past but I'm not too sure where you got the pro gay idea from. Are you upset that homosexuality isn't illegal or that same sex marriage is legal?? Gay people have equal rights in England but that certainly doesn't mean that everyone is "pro-gay".
Original post by HOLA255
In 2016, is it agreed that everybody in the UK is Pro-Gay, and that it's not longer socially acceptable to discriminate against the Gays.

It's not a question of whether one is pro-Gay or not.

The UK, as a culture and in law, promotes and protects equality and social inclusion for all people whatever one defines themselves as and irrespective of race, creed, culture, orientation et.al.
I'd say it's neutral-gay but anti-discrimination. A lot of people I know have an 'I don't mind really, I don't like seeing them at it but I don't think I should be allowed to stop them.' A lot of my neighbours have that kind of 'it's fine, I just don't want to know about it' attitude. They want them to have equal rights, but they would avoid pride parades and the like.
Original post by SmileyVibe
Society isn't pro-gay. Society isn't constantly encouraging homosexuality or marketing it. You don't see people waving the gay flag in their houses, or celebrating it like veteran's day.

Society is accepting of gays. Just cuz people are no longer throwing the gays in therapy against their will, or cuz homosexuality is no longer listed as a mental illness, don't mean people are pro anything. You can be accepting of just bout anything but doesn't mean you're pro.

I don't like the Uk. I'm in the USA and the USA isn't that different in ideals and beliefs. Gay marriage is legalized in all states but I never seen a single gay couple and I doubt people are going to clap over it.
People can accepts gays for being gay bout it doesn't mean people encourage others to be gay or encouraging others to show how gay they are

Why don't you like the UK? How can you say that, and then fail completely to back it up by saying that the USA is similar?
Not with current rates of Muslim immigration. (sorrynotsorry)
Reply 9
Original post by HOLA255

I do not think so
Original post by Christie_xx
Lol, soceity is not "pro-gay". People get physically assaulted and harassed for holding hands with a same gender partner in public, people disown their children for being gay, and domestic abuse victims in same sex relationships often don't get as much support as heterosexual abuse victims. These are just a few of the difficulties of being gay that I can think of off the top of my head.

Thankfully, being gay is more accepted now than it was in the past but I'm not too sure where you got the pro gay idea from. Are you upset that homosexuality isn't illegal or that same sex marriage is legal?? Gay people have equal rights in England but that certainly doesn't mean that everyone is "pro-gay".

Maybe in Russia. If anyone were to do that in the UK they would be castigated and arrested.

I'd say society is generally ambivalent to gays I would say. With the obvious exception of the devoutly religious.
Eh they're ok I guess
Reply 12
I disagree with a majority of the responses. I'd say the UK is tolerant more or less going towards pro-gay. People do encourage you to be yourself and I've never met any form of homophobia where I live.
Original post by jamesthelam
Why don't you like the UK? How can you say that, and then fail completely to back it up by saying that the USA is similar?

Oh! I meant to say I don't live in the UK. I'm apologize for that. Silly mistake.

Isn't the UK and USA part of the West and have similar ideals and values since they're part Western? The US isn't that far off from the UK. Similar =/= the same.

Not everyone is pro gay, ya know. People are accepting of gays and gay friendly but I wouldn't say its pro-gay. The UK and the USA have laws preventing discrimination but I wouldn't go an extra mile and claim they're pro gay. I don't live in the UK which is pretty obvious but I don't need to claim not everybody is pro gay. Just accepting of gay people and their existence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa
Maybe in Russia. If anyone were to do that in the UK they would be castigated and arrested.

I'd say society is generally ambivalent to gays I would say. With the obvious exception of the devoutly religious.

They'd be arrested but it happens
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I'd say it's neutral-gay but anti-discrimination. A lot of people I know have an 'I don't mind really, I don't like seeing them at it but I don't think I should be allowed to stop them.' A lot of my neighbours have that kind of 'it's fine, I just don't want to know about it' attitude. They want them to have equal rights, but they would avoid pride parades and the like.

Exactly. Most people just don't care. They don't care or interested in seeing it but don't think anyone should get crap for being gay.
Original post by Christie_xx
They'd be arrested but it happens

But the very fact that they will be arrested is an expression of society's contempt for this anti-gay attack.
Until 90% of the population have rim jobbed their fellow sex on the morning commute, this country will not be pro gay
Original post by tengentoppa
But the very fact that they will be arrested is an expression of society's contempt for this anti-gay attack.

Ahh so you're saying that soceity is accepting of lgbt people even though there are individuals who aren't. That's true, I wasn't thinking of soceity as a whole or gay rights but more about the opinions of a few people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending