The Student Room Group

Your degree and your career aspirations - how do they match up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J-SP
I'd state it is what you SOMETIMES get. There are plenty of people in all of those industries not working at the top large corporate firms that won't be earning that in their first year. It's a small number of organisations that will only be paying that type of salary to a fresh graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd agree with you, in general, but base salary for front office is normally standardised across the industry because competition for talent is immense. Bonus though, will be more variable at less prominent firms.

Smaller advisory firms actually pay more sometimes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Degree: Pharmacy

Jobs/Careers of Interest: Hospital pharmacist/ analytical chemist

Graduate Salary Expected: £18000
Original post by Princepieman
How is it 'unrealistic' when I've seen the exact figure in writing (employment contract), several times from friends I have helped get into the roles I'm talking about?

Unrealistic in the sense that it'll be so competitive that it's likely you won't get the salary from the specific advertised job. Not sure what you're failing to grasp here.

Using your logic, an unusually high starting salary for every mech eng student is realistic because formula 1 companies and rolls royce offer it.

What you've essentially said is every person in the country graduating with a good degree from your course should realistically expect 50k+ huge bonuses right away.

Bravo. I think your issue is you don't know what realistic means.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nursing
Nurse

I researched my career and I'm not deluded like 99% of people on here - most will probs end up in recruitment or doing PPI call centre jobs on 12K with a useless degree and when they realize they've ruined their life with an English lit degree (or whatever) they'll go and do TEFL and work in Asia for a bit until returning and working in Tesco. Just speaking the truth. Nothing wrong with any of those jobs btw but that's not what they set out to do is it and they're not worth going to uni for.

Too many overqualified shelf stackers - kids need to be a lot more informed before investing 3 years and thousands of pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Degree: Economics
Career of interest: Civil Service or Investment Banking (depending on how greedy I feel :colone:)
Expected salary: CS 27-30k, IB 40k

As far as I'm aware those are roughly the starting salaries, at least that's what they advertise on the CS Fast Track scheme, and that seems to be the figure I've most seen in regards to IB.
That's why I put 'careers', in case you're deliberating between a few. Which grad schemes pay £35k that you personally know of? (I know there are quite a few but I'm seeing if you can come up with concrete roles + companies)

Posted from TSR Mobile

the ones that take your life away, in general :clap2:

for the Lidl/Aldi scheme, it's written on their page that you are expected to work more than 8h/day and that you should be okay with that. 'Plus you've got the commitment to work a 50-hour week, which will include weekends.'

if you take out the extra hours you're asked to work, i think you earn the same money as an average 9-5 job.

and I agree with an earlier comment of yours, people do expect to earn too much, considering the fact they studied a 3-year course that didn't teach them anything apart from teamwork, communication, numeracy, reasoning skills, hard working, etc pretty much the same things you see written on every CV.
Original post by y0_3mma
the ones that take your life away, in general :clap2:

for the Lidl/Aldi scheme, it's written on their page that you are expected to work more than 8h/day and that you should be okay with that. 'Plus you've got the commitment to work a 50-hour week, which will include weekends.'

if you take out the extra hours you're asked to work, i think you earn the same money as an average 9-5 job.

and I agree with an earlier comment of yours, people do expect to earn too much, considering the fact they studied a 3-year course that didn't teach them anything apart from teamwork, communication, numeracy, reasoning skills, hard working, etc pretty much the same things you see written on every CV.

Yeah, it's the same with all high paying entry level jobs to be honest. You work so many hours that when you've taken them into account, it'll work out to not as much on a per hour basis.

Exactly. What this thread was also about was whether people were in tune with which jobs pay which salaries, rather than them throwing wild figures around in the usual 'what salary do you expect to make' threads people usually start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KatieBlogger
Nursing
Nurse

I researched my career and I'm not deluded like 99% of people on here - most will probs end up in recruitment or doing PPI call centre jobs on 12K with a useless degree and when they realize they've ruined their life with an English lit degree (or whatever) they'll go and do TEFL and work in Asia for a bit until returning and working in Tesco. Just speaking the truth. Nothing wrong with any of those jobs btw but that's not what they set out to do is it and they're not worth going to uni for.

Too many overqualified shelf stackers - kids need to be a lot more informed before investing 3 years and thousands of pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a bit presumptuous..

You're assuming people on here don't research their intended careers and you've also assumed that most people (on this thread) aren't setting themselves up for success by preparing early (like you).

You're not the exception to this thread, and neither are you the exception to the TSR population; plenty of people have looked into where they want to be in life and how they'll get there. Likewise, some people don't do this but they have developed the right skillset to do well at interview for 'good' jobs.

Of course not every uni grad will be making £££s, but you've alluded to there being this huge gulf between expecting to be paid extremely well post-uni and minimum wage, 'PPI' flogging. When in reality, there are loads of jobs in between that spectrum filled by university graduates of all degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Degree: Information Systems Management
Job: Business or Technology Consultant
Entry Level: Graduate roles, average £26.5k, others £30k
Case in point.. Ffs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Vinny1900
You're delerious

If you roll back to 2004 when I started my degree in Maths & Physics, I was in exactly the same position: studying the same subject, no idea what career I wanted, hoping for a starting salary around about that level.

Fast forward a few years to my graduation... I started my first job on £35k. So I don't think it's fair to go around telling people they're delirious when their aspirations are actually very manageable
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
If you roll back to 2004 when I started my degree in Maths & Physics, I was in exactly the same position: studying the same subject, no idea what career I wanted, hoping for a starting salary around about that level.

Fast forward a few years to my graduation... I started my first job on £35k. So I don't think it's fair to go around telling people they're delirious when their aspirations are actually very manageable

I'm not saying it's delirious, I was more alluding to the fact that he didn't specify at least one example of a role that pays in that vicinity.

It's all well and good to have high expectations but qualifying those expectations in the context of a role would look much better than throwing around a random figure. It also gets them thinking more about which jobs would lead to their desired level of pay.

Either way, the OP in question has since given examples of some jobs which pay near that level.

Congrats on the salary by the way - what job did you end up in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Degree- Chemical Engineering
Careers of Interest- Acting ( aiming to land a superhero role in a marvel film or DC if worst comes to worst )
Graduate Salary Expected- £1m++
I'm not saying it's delirious, I was more alluding to the fact that he didn't specify at least one example of a role that pays in that vicinity.

It's all well and good to have high expectations but qualifying those expectations in the context of a role would look much better than throwing around a random figure. It also gets them thinking more about which jobs would lead to their desired level of pay.

Either way, the OP in question has since given examples of some jobs which pay near that level.

Congrats on the salary by the way - what job did you end up in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry the "Delirious" comment was aimed at the other person I quoted who used that word. I just quoted you both together because you appeared to be suggesting the same general idea.

I really had no direction when I was at Uni. Literally no idea at all. I found my graduate job by flicking through the pages of the "Top 100 Graduate Employers" magazine that was given to me by the careers department at my University. I saw a company called CHP Consulting offering a starting salary of £35k and thought "oh that looks like a good salary, I'll apply there". A month later after a couple of trips down to London for interviews I was offered the job.

Started working, still no idea what I wanted to do or whether I had chosen the right career. Eventually left after 2 years to study Medicine and I'm now a junior doctor wondering whether to leave to do something else or stay and have to choose a specialty (more choices and more uncertainty)

Hooray for stumbling around in the dark with no sense of purpose
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Sorry the "Delirious" comment was aimed at the other person I quoted who used that word. I just quoted you both together because you appeared to be suggesting the same general idea.

I really had no direction when I was at Uni. Literally no idea at all. I found my graduate job by flicking through the pages of the "Top 100 Graduate Employers" magazine that was given to me by the careers department at my University. I saw a company called CHP Consulting offering a starting salary of £35k and thought "oh that looks like a good salary, I'll apply there". A month later after a couple of trips down to London for interviews I was offered the job.

Started working, still no idea what I wanted to do or whether I had chosen the right career. Eventually left after 2 years to study Medicine and I'm now a junior doctor wondering whether to leave to do something else or stay and have to choose a specialty (more choices and more uncertainty)

Hooray for stumbling around in the dark with no sense of purpose

Ahaha, sounds like a wild journey!

Interesting how you simply chose a grad scheme on the spot and ended up nabbing a place without being at least (from the looks of it) somewhat vested in what the job entailed. Takes a lot of luck to pull that off :smile:

The thing about uncertainty is, if you embrace it with all your might, you may actually end up in a position you would never have imagined you'd be in. I personally feel the best career decisions are the 'stabs in the dark' where you take a risk on whichever route you go down - the payoff (monetarily and sentimentally) tends to be commensurate to the risk.

Anyway, good luck making your decisions! I hope the junior doc contract issue gets resolved soon enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hellodave5
Parisites! What would you tell people when they ask what you do? :tongue:

Haha I don't know! They'll think I'm disgusting :lol:
Ahaha, sounds like a wild journey!

Interesting how you simply chose a grad scheme on the spot and ended up nabbing a place without being at least (from the looks of it) somewhat vested in what the job entailed. Takes a lot of luck to pull that off :smile:

The thing about uncertainty is, if you embrace it with all your might, you may actually end up in a position you would never have imagined you'd be in. I personally feel the best career decisions are the 'stabs in the dark' where you take a risk on whichever route you go down - the payoff (monetarily and sentimentally) tends to be commensurate to the risk.

Anyway, good luck making your decisions! I hope the junior doc contract issue gets resolved soon enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I mean you're probably right. It seems intuitive that if you have a clear aim from the outset then you can prepare well for selection panels/interviews etc. But even so, don't underestimate how much you can learn about a company/industry with a few days to spare and some time spent on Google :wink:

Thanks. I'm booked onto a Skiing Instructor course in June, so if Jeremy Hunt remains committed to forcing us all out of Medicine then I'm ready to start a new chapter!
Reply 116
Degree: Maths and Computer Science (Data Science)
Jobs/Careers of Interest: TMT Coverage - IBD, Strategy Consulting
Graduate Salary Expected: IBD: £50k base, 30-50% bonus. Strat: £35-40k base, 10% bonus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm studying Computer Science (I almost did Maths as a joint honours, but would have missed too much comp sci), and my field of interest is also Data Science. I've been looking at possible social media applications, with the intention to build my own tech start-up after my Master's degree.

It would be interesting to here what you think about the industry and where you think a good field of employment is for people with our skill set.
Degree: BA Fine Art
Jobs/Careers of interest: Male Professional Stripper, after 5 yr experience, Red Light District pole dancer
Graduate salary expected: 90k start, with 50% bonus depending on performance
Original post by Youngmetro
Degree: BA Fine Art
Jobs/Careers of interest: Male Professional Stripper, after 5 yr experience, Red Light District pole dancer
Graduate salary expected: 90k start, with 50% bonus depending on performance

LOOOOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daniel9998
Degree- Chemical Engineering
Careers of Interest- Acting ( aiming to land a superhero role in a marvel film or DC if worst comes to worst )
Graduate Salary Expected- £1m++

Wouldn't u consider a villain role? :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending